1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

We wouldn't need them. The EU as a funtioning concept is dust.

alex_teccy, nomad and install like this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

There may be more countries leaving the EU in time. It isn't quite the heavenly, dreamy place some like to think ...

border_walker, alex_teccy and nomad like this.
  3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Oh dear ...

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

fwiw it's not a "place" that can be "left" in the context of this (alleged) discussion topic.

5. install

install Star commenter

We are leaving the EU. The majority have voted for Leave. Other countries will most likely be looking to leave too. It is time to accept reality.

alex_teccy and Kandahar like this.
  6. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

What is it then, if it is not a place that can be left?

install likes this.
  7. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

The domino effect. I look forward to a return to smaller, prouder nation states in control of their own currencies

install likes this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

I suspect that having been fine to call winning voters 'turkeys' (which they are not) that the poster is trying to avoid accepting the EU as a metaphorical or physical 'place'.

Either way we are leaving the EU. I agree there could be a domino effect. And countries proudly claiming back their currencies.

Kandahar likes this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm not calling anybody anything, actually.
    I was quoting the press. I meant We Are Turkeys in the subjunctive form
    This was headlined today by non british press,as posted elsewhere by another poster. (although they mistranslated Turkeys-it was Geese, being the main Christmas dish in that country)
    I'm not trying to anything.
    I have not posted any opinion.
    Im sorry-you misunderstood.
    I dont have one.
    Not one that I'd like to share with on here.

10. install

install Star commenter

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and explaining your earlier post . It's an interesting choice of quote to share about winning voters being like 'turkeys' nonetheless.

It reminds me of a a mate of mine who shared a joke the other day. It wasn't her joke or her opinion, but she shared it nevertheless.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Kandahar likes this.
  11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There will be no domino effect in other EU countries if the UK's exit proves to be catastrophic for jobs, prices. the servicing of the NHS and Care homes etc.
    There can be no claims for Brexit success until the repercussions of leaving the EU are manifest.

12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

NHS in crisis, high unemployment, So once we've left the EU, the UK will look increasingly like France.

13. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

And this will be the same old predicament for the EU. How can they ensure trade with its largest partener and at the same time engineer a situation where it looks like the U.K. is not succeeding?

install, border_walker and Kandahar like this.
  14. alex_teccy

Debatable. France has high tax rates, and public costs. Retirement in the 50s. If your a train driver for example who lives to 100 plus, the state will be supporting you longer than you’ve lived.

Frances current pension protests are a result of the EU directing France to reform its pension laws.

install and Kandahar like this.
  15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Another reason why we just might get the final deal done soon. The EU is understandably in shock, those stubborn UK people would not accept being ordered to vote again and 'correctly' as is the favoured norm and then had the audacity in a GE again to vote incorrectly and back leaving big time.

Point there is the EU for the first time is realizing it too, must throw in the towel. Sure, they can and will threaten Boris with punitive measures unless he as good as stays in their framework but they know - we all know - that if Boris stands his ground then this time there is nothing - nothing the EU can do.

While some remainers and the EU are indeed hoping Boris will soften up and go all remainy, it is unlikely when he and every MP in the HoC now can see what happens if you U turn on Brexit.

We shall see but we have a hardened government, used to dealing with nonsense over Brexit.

The EU is in a most new and unknown position as
    Brexit was simply not expected to be allowed or happen.

16. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Why would more than half the country give up on their vision for a harmonious Europe which everyone belongs to? It makes no sense. I agree that faced with a populist Johnson or two train wreck drivers in Corbyn and Swinson, the fptp system has delivered a Johnson government. And yes, he now has to both deliver his populist vision and his version of Brexit. But don’t think a resurgent centrist Labour Party could not retake government in five years' time. Don’t think we won’t eventually ask to rejoin the EU - once people have experienced Brexit and tasted their milk and honey. Those million people marches were for a reason - a majority of the people, and most of the young, want their EU membership. You’ve won a battle, not a war. And you would be foolish to think pro-EU peeps are going to go away. Instead, we are going to scrutinise the Johnsonian Brexit and compare it to what we could have got under the EU.

The NHS. Is in crisis.
    The schools are bleeding money to shysters.
    The young and poor are stabbing each other to death whilst violent and sexual crime is escalating.
    The young working class can not afford homes on their zero hour contracts.
    Old people can’t get the care they need.
    There are not enough people who want to do entry level jobs.
    High streets are dying and many towns have crumbled due to lack of employment.

Leaving the EU doesn’t solve these things. It’s irrelevant to these things (though the EU did redistribution to poor areas). Leaving the EU has been promised as the cure for all those things. Johnson could cure these things without leaving the EU, but he’s promised so he now has to deliver. And you are hoping a Conservative party will act like a Labour Party? Trust me, the conservatives will always look after their own.

dleaf12 likes this.
  17. alex_teccy

Very well put. The EUs modus operandi has been to sit back and let remainer elites in member nations do the dirty work. I always thought the EU would cut a deal rather than face a GE in the UK, but I think the EU believed at the time remain would either win via a 2nd ref, or have Brexit kicked down the road till the UK electorate got frustrated and gave up. It's little wonder they believed this, with the UK reamin establishment telling them "nah, we've got your back, fam". Looking at Jo Swinson saying she'd get into no10 I actually think they believed it themselves.

It didn't work this time, and I do wonder how close remain really got to stopping Brexit.

The EU seems to be a mass of unresovable contradictions; the need to increase trade, yet preserve the custom union; the desire to extend social and environmental rules whilst expecting austerity europeans to keep spending, the need to reform members social.
    And how will the EU enforce the UK into regulatory alignment (to stop us gaining in the words of Michel Barnier and Merkel an "unfair advantage") when EU has a 100bn trade surplus?
    The EU is heading into a very uncertain future.

install, border_walker and Kandahar like this.
  18. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Percentage votes in 2017 election

Tory 42.4%
    Labour 40%

Tories get almost same percentage share of vote as 2017 but get a massive majority.
    What is the point in predicting a percentage of the vote? In terms of actual seats in parliament a percentage is useless.

19. alex_teccy

This reads a lot like EU=good government=bad.

install and Kandahar like this.
  20. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter