1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Im in a marginal. Leaflets and activists from Labour and Libs. Leaflet from Brexit. Nothing from Cons.

2. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Gove on Brexit:

3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

American puritans didnt like 'c*ck' so thats how rooster came about.

4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

But how did they reproduce?

burajda likes this.
  5. Oscillatingass

Turkey basters I suppose.

6. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

They blew the candle out so they wouldn't see anything that might have offended them, then did what everyone else does.

alex_teccy likes this.
  7. Oscillatingass

Despite their evident dislike of a very important element of the process.

8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Back to Brexit, in the future we can look forward to being more like Americans than the French when it comes to these sorts of unmentionable things.

irs1054 likes this.
  9. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Mmmm. BMG Research just called the latest poll as narrowed to just 6%. It’s happening again. Only this time, with proper tactical voting.

Start speculating what you would expect Johnson to do if he doesn’t get a majority. Or even funnier, if the DUP offers supply and confidence but not his Brexit deal.

ajrowing and irs1054 like this.
  10. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Does indeed seem Corbyn might do another great escape but it will go down to the wire.

I am wondering now if Boris has overdone the 'I will think about it' stance with Neil and other potentially tough interviews and that now Corbyn is getting some sympathy votes for at least taking the punches and coming back for more.

Or perhaps it is simply people realising the system lowers the value of your vote unless you vote for the two big guns and slowly but surely - as we so often see - voters are 'coming home' so to speak.

Not because they really want to but because they feel it is the lesser of evils and they don't have much choice.

EDIT: One the quote here it would be weird as presumably the DUP being partners can only be done on Boris going back to no deal - something we could suddenly have a majority for if the DUP and Tories have a WM.

Nige will be well happy.

11. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

You presume the new tories would vote no deal. They’ve only pledged his deal, not no deal. Remember, when there was a commons vote lots of them voted for some deal, not no deal. Expect a new Gawkward squad.

I think he would be entitled to go for a 2nd ref and that gives him six months of government.

He’s a bottler though. Who was that dreadful right wing woman saying if you duck the interview you have no right to be PM?

dumpty likes this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

This, I think, is hugely the case.

13. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Unless of course, you are in a tactical voting area. I am. There’s one remain candidate to vote for.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My constituency is a real toss-up at the moment between the sitting Labour MP and the Lib Dems.

It will be very close.

15. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Boris said on the Andrew Marr show this morning that he is happy to face questions from 'any interviewer called Andrew from the BBC'.

16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Yes, I think he knows he has to and he should at least be well prepared.

I think Neil will try to get him on 'pretending you are hard on Brexit when you know you will extend discussions by up to two years in July' and if Boris does the 'I do not expect to' as opposed to a clear denial then yes, it could get ugly.

Polls indicating a rush to Corbyn are not so bad in my view as this should remind leave voters not to be complacent and get out there and vote.

I am still going with my forecast of 10 or so seat majority for the Tories.

17. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Some academics have said that a small majority for Johnson isn’t enough. I forget the argument, but basically you are under the thumb to small groups for concessions constantly. You need a 60-70 seat majority to properly do Brexit.

18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The huge YouGov MRP poll, published last week, is forecasting a Tory absolute majority of 68. Electoral Calculus is forecasting an absolute majority of 41 on a very much smaller sample, but it was the YouGov MRP poll that proved the most accurate before the 2017 general election.

alex_teccy likes this.
  19. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This sounds reasonable if it is based - as we have indeed often seen - on the presumption 20-30 Tories will break ranks and go all remainy on Brexit when it becomes serious.

Indeed, that could happen but I do get the feeling Boris has tightened the reins and those of a Soubry, Grieve or Letwin disposition are not around anywhere near as much.

alex_teccy likes this.
  20. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I think it is less about them being remainers and more about being sociopaths intent on grabbing some power in a govemment that has a tiny majority.