1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what have learnt over the last 4 months

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Curae, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Curae

Curae Star commenter

As most schools approach their very last day of the academic year I have reinforced further by belief in the care and professionalism of colleagues in my profession. I was almost overwhelmed by extreme sadness but immediately sought counselling. I felt the pain of others both in reality and right here on TES. I did what I could for my family and for my students at school. I even tried to help right here on TES. I will ensure that I will build up my resilience for all whom I know. I am absolutely imperfect but determined to help. I saw I read the kindness and goodwill of human kind that strengthened me. Reading your posts were hugely supportive and often humbled me

I made a promise and I will keep it

There is light there is hope.

What have you learnt?

Thank you so much.

((((((((())))))))
    CURAE XXX

2. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

I've always tried to remain positive, not wanting to bore with my life story but an abusive Father & then husband who left me with huge debt, I survived!!

The last 4 months have pushed me to do new things. Had someone told me, in February, I'd be Zoom teaching at 57 years old, be championing well-being across the whole school, YR to Y6, I'd have laughed. I've not only survived but now been asked to be the school advocate to promote well-being and mental health to the whole school.

Being part of the TES community has been such a help, whether speaking with like-minded people or just playing fun games. :)

Life has shown me that as humans we can continue to grow & learn no matter how old we are.

Marshall, ms honey, Norsemaid and 8 others like this.
  3. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Absolutely and its great to hear of your new much needed role.
    Thank you for sharing ring your amazing news.
    (((((((((((())))))))))
    Curae

Alice K and Ro13 like this.
  4. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I'm not being flippant but I have learned that I don't think I can tolerate teaching for much longer. We had INSET today and the HT was saying how the last few months had been so hard for all of us, and while everyone else was nodding I was thinking "Are you for real? I have loved it."
    We didnt have to do any of this Zoom teaching malarkey and all I had to do was go in one day a week and look after 10 or so keyworker children with 2 other colleagues. Then on June 8th, we were back and I had a delightful bubble of 8 keyworker children. I didn't have to mark anything and I loved it!
    The thought of going back in September to a class of 30 kids, and having to mark everything that isn't nailed down... :confused:

Marshall, Pomza, jubilee and 14 others like this.
  5. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

I have learned that, despite going through the most terrible pain that any parent could face, life does go on - although the pain is always there, just beneath the surface.

I have learned that, despite being the oldest person in my school, with health issues that could have excused me from returning, coming back to full time teaching (less than a week after my daughter’s funeral) with my Y6 ‘bubble’ has been the best decision for my mental health.

I have also learned never again to trust the government in regards to data or advice. Instead I now only listen to professionals in the ‘front-line’ such as my eldest daughter who has given me constant insight into everything that has happened over the past 4 months.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I have learnt a lot of IT skills, and I have learnt IT can never be relied on. Any ones else's TEAMS irretrivably crash today?

Curae, Nanny Ogg and agathamorse like this.
  7. Corvuscorax

I have learnt most of what we do in school is a waste of time, and unnessesery for education.

Pomza, jubilee, ms honey and 4 others like this.
  8. Corvuscorax

you are certainly not alone in this. There have been many many rregignations locally, even in this current climate of rising unemployment, a lot of people have decided that they are done with teaching

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have huge admiration for people like @cassandramark2, who have coped through so much. I have learnt to be grateful for the aspects of my life that have made this period easier for me than for others.

I have ended up quite comfortable with using technology to teach. Most of the progress I saw was better than I had expected. I still can't get over how time consuming the preparation was to deliver content effectively that way.

10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

At last a teacher on here admits the truth, that they've done almost nothing while schools have been shut.

11. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

My OH, secondary maths, has been delivering live lessons, marking work and uploading results and planning for next year. His colleagues and my own (primary) have never worked so hard in our entire careers. Until I had the phone call from the hospital regarding my daughter, I was planning, teaching and marking online lessons and then was back in the ACTUAL classroom on June 1st.

Gainly, I think that you insult the majority of teachers who are now utterly exhausted. If you are a teacher...shame on you!

jubilee, Sundaytrekker, Curae and 9 others like this.
  12. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Occasional commenter

As the husband of a teacher who has risked her health [when she didn't have to] to go into school to look after the children of key workers [themselves very anxious about the plight of their parents] and children with [in some cases florid and almost unmanageable] special needs, I find your attitude in very poor taste.
    And since she has been looking after a bubble of fifteen children ranging from Reception to Year 6, she has worn herself out trying to provided them with a genuine educational experience, so your casualness, laziness and unprofessionalism disgusts me.
    It sounds to me as though your not going back in September would be a piece of luck for the school you work at and even better luck for the children you teach.
    Perhaps you should take a job more suited to your temperament - a trafiic warden or working on the bins, maybe; although for you the latter would probably be too much like hard work.

jubilee, Ro13 and cassandramark2 like this.
  13. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I wasn't suggesting all teachers were doing nothing, I know many have been working very hard and found the time very difficult. But there are certainly others who have treated this as a holiday. I meant that @lardylady was the first one of the latter who has been honest enough to admit this on TES.

Apologies if I caused offence.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've learnt that I'm actually quite lonely.

15. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Your opinion is of no interest to me. I gave an honest reply to the original question posed. Good on your wife for doing what she did. I didn't have to. In case you hadn't realised, refuse collectors are classed as key workers so I suppose I should be flattered.

16. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

@Aquamarina1234 i am sorry to hear that. I hope you are finding ways to change that, if you want to that is.
    I have found that I am always the person to do the phoning and texting rather than others contacting me. Maybe I should think on why....

17. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Occasional commenter

Read what I said, lardylady: working on the bins would be too much like hard work for you.
    And of course my opinion is of no interest to you; you are interested only in yourself.
    As for honestly answering the question posed, then if you think your honesty does you credit then I am inclined to agree but only to a very limited extent.
    On the other hand, when your HT was saying how the last few months had been so hard for all of us, and while everyone else was nodding I was thinking "Are you for real? I have loved it." if you really were an honest person you would have put up your hand and come clean about your private thoughts; but that would take real courage.

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2020
  18. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Urgg. Posted, then swiped up too soon so post vanished.
    If people only post to do one-up-you-down stuff, why not use reddit or something where you can have a proper fight with people who couldn't give one anyway?

agathamorse, Ro13 and guinnesspuss like this.
  20. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

What an unpleasant post. Presumably lardy lady did what was required by her school. I can understand how teaching a group of 8 children is preferable to 30!

Marshall, Pomza, jubilee and 10 others like this.