1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So, what exactly are their overheads?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by HS65, Nov 19, 2018.

1. HS65

HS65 Occasional commenter

I was in today ‘negotiating’ with an agency, listening to them as they tried to persuade me there’s weren’t making much on me from a school and how they can’t pay much more ...... I had the office manager wheeled out on me who pretty much told me that on top of what they pay me it costs them £50 before they can take any profit.
    So, what do they have to pay out for? Anyone know?

2. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

I suppose the quick answer is; write down all your household bills and then add a salary for every one employed

They need to pay rent, bills, insurance etc

pepper5 likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Salaries mostly

pepper5 likes this.
  4. educ80

educ80 Occasional commenter

Salaries, Commissions, Office Space, Content of Offices (laptops, phones etc), Membership to NCTL/DBS/Barred List etc, Job Board membership, Database costs, Insurances, payroll, HR functionality.

Depends on the size of the organization, but Id still say £50 per day is a total lie. Problem is, they don't have to prove it to you. Agencies do have to pay NI contributions at 12.8% as well as pension contributions (and maybe apprenticeship levy) but

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

OP didn't say £50 a day but I think that £50 a week is probably too small.

Realistically though we're talking about the agents' Christmas Bonus here. And what lies and half-truths have to be delivered in that cause?

6. HS65

HS65 Occasional commenter

They did say £50 a day ..... we we’re discussing UPS3 and her calculator showed that it would ‘cost’ them £252 before they even thought about commission on top.

There was talk of NI, pension payments going into a pot and apprenticeship levy as mentioned above.

JohnJCazorla likes this.