1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So, what do you think of the new Doctor Who?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Waiguoren, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

Any Doctor Who fans or casual watchers who'd like to share their thoughts?

We've now reached the end of the first season, and I'm worried. Jodie Whittaker is, as you may know, playing the role of the first female incarnation of the Doctor. On Rotten Tomatoes (the popular film and tv review site) critics reviews are very positive. Viewer reviews, however, are extremely, worryingly low. And on YouTube I'm running into plenty of videos declaring that they have the new show, and that Doctor Who has been destroyed by pc liberalism and social justice warriors.

So what do you all think? Has anyone seen any of the episodes, and what do they think of them? Is the political and social commentary too strong, or is it what we need? Does Jodie Whittaker play the Doctor well, or is she a betrayal of ecclestone, tennant, Smith and capaldi? And are the stories exciting sci fi adventures, or dreary messes?

install likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

On the whole I've enjoyed the series. Yes they have tried to get social commentary in, but that's beause sometimes it's not always the same writer, each having their own angle. I quite liked the 'historical' storylines, which have been lacking recently. Or at least it felt like it.

I personally believe the loss of Steven Moffat will take a while and having 'new' characters / actors always takes a while to write to their strengths.

Waiguoren and install like this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Loved it and the Doctor. She beats some of the best Doctors for me..:)

Waiguoren and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

She’s great - but the scripts are dreadful. Huge plot holes, far too much time spent on the supporting characters and not enough on the story. Awful, awful dialogue. It breaks my heart but I don’t think it’s going to last much longer. The first two ‘reboot’ doctors set the bar very high, but that was mostly because they had such good stories. Now the BBC keeps faffing around because they think the problem is in the format (in the same way that Moffat was convinced that he need3d to ‘improve’ Sherlock Holmes.) So they have more assistants, new (more sympathetic) monsters. They haven’t worked out why the ratings are declining. It’s because other shows just have better stories.

BW12345 and Waiguoren like this.
  5. Waiguoren

Thanks, all of you!

When I first heard it was a female Doctor Who, I was really pleased. I'm a big fan, and often work clips and stories into my lessons in class, and my book corner has a few doctor who books in it. I thought how great it would be to have a female role model for smart, adventurous heroes who were good at science and maths, for boys and girls.

And then I heard that Moffat was going, and I was sad, because I think he's done great things for Doctor Who. Wrote most of my favourite episodes!

And then I started watching it. And what I thought is...
    - It's not quite as quirky and edgy, as cool and as off-the-wall as it used to be.
    - On the other hand, the production values are better. The special effects, the acting, the whole professionalism of making it. It seems to be simply better telly in this new series.
    - On the other other hand, it seems maybe a little too slick for Doctor Who.
    - The Doctor seems nice, but not as funny as the others. Not as cool. Not as awesome.

After watching the whole season, I think I'd generally give it about six out of ten. That's not bad at all. And some of the episodes - the first one, and the Rosa Parks one, and today's New Year Special - are among the best Doctor Who I've ever seen. Might even be the best Doctor Who Xmas Special ever! (It's not, I'm afraid, a very high bar - there have been some really bad specials made). This one was solidly written and solidly acted, with a great plot and a brilliant villain.

Sebregis, I agree with a lot of what you say, but I hope that things will get better! Maybe Doctor Who has finally found her feet now.

OK, that's enough, and I'm going to bed. Happy new year, all!

6. SEBREGIS

I just think it’s really sad. Jodie Whittaker is great and I was really behind the idea of a female Doctor, but they’ve really messed up by giving her such poor scripts and such pointless opposition. The writing is slack and self satisfied. Yesterday, 26 minutes in, and where were we? In a cafe with Ryan telling his dad off like an episode of Eastenders.

‘Earth is defended by me and my mates.’ For the love of God! Here’s how you crank up the presence when the Doctor needs to make a point:

Even the Rosa episode was basically tosh. Where was the threat? The bad guy was a criminal who had been fitted with a limiter so he couldn’t hurt anyone. In ‘Pyramids of Mars,’ Sarah Jane (pauses for a moment... be still my beating heart...) told the Doctor that the bad guy could not win because they were in 1870 and she was from 1970, so she knew he lost. So the Doctor showed her the altered timeline, a devastated Earth. We didn’t even get to see that in Rosa. It was just - this old lady might miss the bus.

And that damned Space Gremlin. Almost, but not quite as bad as ‘Let’s Kill Hitler’ but only because nothing is, or can be, as bad as ‘Let’s Kill Hitler.’ I’d take a bowel operation without anaesthetic over watching that again.

Seriously, the BBC needs to fire it’s current team of TV writers and drag in some proper sci fi authors from HBO and Netflix, because shows like ‘Altered Carbon’ make our longest running and most beloved TV SciFi show look like a school play with better CGI.

I really need to be back in the classroom, sorry :-(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Waiguoren

Hello again! Well, I can see that you and I don't see eye to eye on everything, but we have the same basic idea. A lot of the episodes could have been better - but I still have faith that series eleven was good, and that it can be as good as the other Doctor Whos. I've just been looking through the episodes. Let me see...

1. The Woman Who Fell To Earth. A sound beginning! Good acting, good plot, good villain, and I quite liked the new Doctor.
    2. The Ghost Monument. I liked this one too - an exciting story, lots of interesting characters, plenty of twists and turns, and a beautiful moment when the Doctor found the TARDIS again.
    3. Rosa. Going to have to disagree with you on this one! Although I think it's great to have a story about Rosa Parks, civil rights movement, racism, etc. I accept that the story should stand or fall on its own merits as a story; and I think this one does. The villain is creepy and evil, and the Doctor is really cool the way she figures him out and outthinks him and saves the day.

The rest of the series - not so good, I thought. You're right about the Space Gremlin, although there were some good bits - I loved the Doctor "pick a number" - very Doctory! Plenty of ups and downs - didn't think much of King James or Kerblam, but that Norwegian portal was really good sci fi!

Still, if I did think that Doctor Who was in danger, I was really encouraged by the New Year's Day episode, which was brilliant. So, I start 2019 with hope in my heart, which is a good thing!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

**** from top to bottom.

9. SEBREGIS

I like that. Like the Doctor, you are ‘a dreamer of impossible dreamers and a hoper of impossible hopes.’ Which is a good thing to be. And the main reason I love the series. Not really because it’s good sci fi or bad scI fi. But because I need there to be a character who is never able to give up on humanity. Who is non violent, who could not even wipe out the Daleks because even they have a right to live. As Rose explained when she was asked who the doctor was ‘you know that moment when it’s all gone wrong and everyone’s running for it?The Doctor is the one standing there trying to save everyone.’

Galifrey stands. Sometimes it just wobbles a bit.

Waiguoren and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. BW12345

BW12345 Established commenter

She's OK, but won't make a favourite Doctor. A bit of a lightweight, too ... flippant.
    Capaldi had gravitas.
    Too much waving the sonic screwdriver, which has just become an every-purpose wavey thing, giving all the answers in a glance. She's taken on Tennant's open mouthed gawping too - bad.
    Stories do look feeble compared with Moffat's. The one with king James passing through after witches, alone, was pathetic. And yes, too much of the too many, blatantly PC sidekicks who really don't contribute.

11. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Saw a couple, the Doctor was good, but why so many companions? At any point in the ones I saw at least one of the three had nothing to do and was irrelevant to the plot. Scripts are a bit poor too.