1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So UK military action in Syria then..........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Dec 2, 2015.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Is this a good thing?

I am not strongly on either side TBH. While part of me feels hat we must quash ISIS before it gets too powerful and that might mean bombing, we all know that the best placed 'strategic targetting' will catch civilians out somewhere and pictures of dead Syrian children killed by UK bombs will be on the front pages before you can say 'Paris.'

Part of me thinks we need a massive ground invasion to install leader(s) in Syria that will actually rebuild the country and manage it properly instead of incompetent, terror-mongering despots.

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Like in Libya Afghanistan and Iraq?

That sort of thing?

We'll have no despots here!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and so on...

(to be fair, only two of those above actually fund one of the many groups who will shooting at the RAF pilots.)

lexus300 and sparkleghirl like this.
  3. Mullam

Mullam Occasional commenter

It's not a good thing. We will suffer!

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Disappointing but not surprising. Hands over their ears blocking out the lessons of previous failed interventions. (Either that or worse, more cynical motives, which I'm inclined to believe is more likely)

midnight_angel, InkyP and lexus300 like this.
  5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

BBC are relishing it with microscopic gung-ho examination of the debate and the first bombings. Expect use of language like "collateral damage" and "friendly fire" when it starts to go wrong. Yanks are good at those.

midnight_angel and InkyP like this.
  6. Sid_Pubes

Sid_Pubes Senior commenter

David Cameron described those who voted against the bombing as "a bunch of terrorist sympathisers", which term he also applies by extension to all those in the country - some twenty million people, probably - who are against it.

What a squalid little mind we have running the country. Alf Garnett in an Armani suit.

midnight_angel and Noja like this.
  7. Erin_Rhys

Erin_Rhys Occasional commenter

Remarkable hypocrisy from someone who likened my request for peacefulness on my Advent threads as my belonging to a branch of the Nazi Police.

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

57 of the 59 SNP MPs who represent Scotland voted No to bombing Syria. How I wish Scotland had got its independence.

9. Sid_Pubes

Rubbish. I made no such comparison. I asked you if you were the forum gauleiter, as you seemed to think that you could impose your standards of behaviour on others. Get over yourself and don't be so pompous.

10. Sid_Pubes

Does this mean, I wonder, that ISIS will refrain from mounting terrorist attacks in reprisal in Scotland?

11. Erin_Rhys

A little bit of a contradiction Sid. How would you feel if Cameron had asked Corbyn if he was the Whitehall ISIS sympathiser? Would that be acceptable to you?
    I wonder how many of those SNP MPs were whipped into their decisions like some Labour MPs were.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Whip? In what sense?

Labour MPs had a free vote. They weren't whipped in the technical sense.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

[​IMG]

Erin_Rhys likes this.
  14. Erin_Rhys

Reports suggest some were intimidated - emails of dead babies, and had verbal threats suggesting that a YES vote made them murderers. I would be surprised if similar tactics were not used by the other parties involved in the 'free' vote.

15. Sid_Pubes

Corbyn's exchanges with Cameron are an irrelevance to your accusation that I likened you to a member of the Nazi police force. I didn't, you know I didn't, and you lack the manners to acknowledge this, let alone apologise for misrepresenting my words.

The Labour MPs were given a free vote. If you didn't know that then you are too ignorant of the facts to have a worthwhile opinion. Now go away and troll someone daft enough to be sucked in.

Scintillant likes this.