1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So Tragic...I am so sorry for her parents.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Aug 13, 2019.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

She was a child with some difficulties with co-ordination and walking. She was barefoot. The most able of us would have been at high risk of injury if we had been roaming around barefoot in that terrain for a week. Something is wrong if all she sustained were some scratches and bruising to her arms and legs.

frangipani123 likes this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

We seem to have the new McCann speculation thread.

nomad likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I believe you are over-thinking this. Particularly so, from a distance of 6500 miles with no first-hand evidence.

bombaysapphire and newposter like this.
  4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The parents are on record (early on) as saying that she would not be able to walk far unaided. Days on end without food would have weakened her and made falls and broken bones highly likely, yet she apparently had no such injuries.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The report I read said her body was found in a steep ravine and had to be helicoptered out.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You can bet your life that the Metropolitan Police will not be spending 13years and £11.75million on a fruitless investigation though.

caress, lilachardy and blue451 like this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

8. T34

T34 Lead commenter

What extreme "physiologic" stress was she undergoing? People are walking and working in those environments all the time, sometimes with sparse food. I don't think psychological distress can cause internal bleeding.

nomad likes this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Then take it up with the Malaysian coroner who obviously believes that it can.

:rolleyes:

les25paul likes this.
  10. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Senior commenter

Her remains will be repatriated surely. And then maybe another post mortem.

frangipani123 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

She was incapable of independent living and had never been anywhere alone. The poor girl would not have known how to get help or even how to find food.

No, but a duodenal ulcer (as reported in her autopsy) can.

bombaysapphire and nomad like this.
  12. florian gassmann

There would normally only be another PM if the UK coroner decides that the original PM was unsatisfactory in some way.

13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I wouldn't be so critical of the rescue efforts I'm sure they did the best they could with the resources they had available. I've been in a jungle and even as a "rufty tufty" outdoors person I found it a tough environment. They are not like the woodlands we get in Europe.

The poor girl must have been terrified and I feel so sorry for her and her parents who will now. spend the rest of thier life wondering if they were somehow at fault. I wouldn't say they were, it was just a tragedy.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The child's grandfather has said, "She wasn't there [during previous searches]. Someone put her there, to get rid of her.

'Can you imagine her walking 1.5miles, naked and barefoot, over rocks, in the middle of the night? For me, that’s absurd.'

frangipani123 likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The exact cause of death given by the police was “upper gastrointestinal bleeding due to duodenal ulcer complicated with perforation” possibly caused by “prolonged starvation or stress”. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...aysia-finds-she-died-of-starvation-and-stress

16. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

True. But that would normally be people who have: been born, raised and live in the jungle, those who have been trained to operate in a jungle and the "adventurers" who have chosen to travel in a jungle.

Take your average urbanite and plonk them in a jungle alone and I can guarantee they will feel some degree of stress. Now take a 15 year old girl with special needs and the degree of stress could be unbearable.

bombaysapphire, nomad and emerald52 like this.
  17. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Like Nora's family, I am sceptical about the autopsy results and the coroner's report. Clearly, a finding of murder by person or persons unknown would not be in the interests of the local authorities in an area whose livelihood depends on tourism. I also note that from the very beginning of the investigation the police appeared to rule out the possibility of abduction. This in spite of the parents' insistence that they knew their daughter and that she would never have wandered away of her own accord. I suspect that they will commission a second autopsy (not unknown in such cases) though whether or not the relevant evidence will remain is another matter.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's thick jungle. She left without footwear. She'd either have to stick to the few paths (and easily be found) or she'd be covered in scratches. She wouldn't be naked.

Her mother's voice was broadcast and played around the area and there was no response from her.

It doesn't add up.

19. florian gassmann

She was covered in scratches according to the autopsy.

Perhaps she was already dead? The autopsy report said she had been dead for 2 or 3 days when she was found. There are, though, questions as to why her body was not found when it is claimed that the area had been searched several times.

Temperature in Malaysia at this time of the year is typically around 33 degrees and the humidity in Kuala Lumpur is so high that I remember hardly being able to leave the air-conditioned hotel when I was there some years ago. I imagine the humidity in the jungle could be even worse. I could easily imagine the poor child removing her clothing in the hot, clammy climate - and, due to her condition, probably not being aware of the inadvisability of wandering around naked, even in the jungle.

20. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Unbelievably tragic. So sad.