1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So Tragic...I am so sorry for her parents.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

I don’t know whether the fact that Nora’s body was not clothed gives any more insight into whether she was abducted or disappea

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Apparently the post mortem shows no signs of abuse or foul play.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49355188

She died from internal bleeding probably caused by hunger and stress. Malaysian Police said there was no suspicion the girl was the victim of foul play.

Whether that gives any comfort to the parents or not I don't know. It does throw into sharp relief the fact that she must have wandered off while in their care.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They had a canine search team and groups from the U.K., France and Ireland in addition to the locals and she turned up less than 2 miles from base.

That is a very poor show. She was found by a group of tourists!

I am interested in this because Her Maj was in lowland rescue and has won awards when pitted against police, voluntary and military teams. There are established protocols and she definitely should have been found. No sign that she left the area in a vehicle at any point. With computers, mapping and so forth it's even less excusable that she wasn't found as she seems to have lived for a week!

T34, smoothnewt and Oscillatingass like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It appears that she exited via a window, and then spent a week wandering about, somehow managing to avoid the (up to) 312 people searching for her.

I'm not sure how the parents could have done more to keep her safe, except, of course, never taking her on holiday, or only staying at places where she could be locked in at night. If she had a tendency to wander off, then perhaps that would have been wise. But apparently she didn't normally do that.

I'm not the parent of a child with learning or developmental difficulties, but if I were I'm sure I would want to try and make their life as full as possible, introducing them to new places and experiences as far as was possible.

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Police helicopter with thermal imaging would have tracked her. Did they try that?

6. FrankWolley

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Crikey, how was the poor girl missed?
    That was a slow death. How agonising for her parents.

emerald52 likes this.
  8. FrankWolley

I'm no expert, but I wonder whether thermal imaging (or drones) are very effective in thick rain forest conditions...

les25paul and emerald52 like this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I know it's a remote area and thickly wooded but that makes it even more likely that she'd be found!

She's hardly going to be beating through undergrowth with a stout staff! She'd stick to paths. Most peculiar.

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I read that they think she had been walking in the river, as there were no footprints around her.
    I can't find the link though.

WRT thermal imaging technology. I don't know how warm it is there at the moment, but I assume it's warmer than we're used to here. Would that mean there's less of a contrast between human body heat and the ambient temperature? I'm guessing.

11. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Bless her, wandering about lost and confused for a week then dying. At least she is at peace now poor little love.

Her parents are going to torture themselves knowing she was there for a week alive. I hope they forgive themselves because they clearly loved her dearly and this situation is one of those tragic times when all the worst possible possibilities come together ending up with the worst possible outcome. My heart goes out to them and the rest of Nora’s loved ones.

bombaysapphire and FrankWolley like this.
  12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

In Nora's case, it would depend on the details of her diagnosis for holoprosencephaly - it is apparently "a condition whose behavioral and cognitive phenotype can be similar to ASD" - and, as is well known, changing the routine of kids with autism can have devastating results. Hopefully the parents would have been correctly advised about the possible risks of holidays in very unfamiliar surroundings.

nomad likes this.
  13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I do wonder how it was possible for her to have wandered for a week in inhospitable terrain and not suffered injuries. The area where she was found had already been searched.
    The more likely scenario is surely that she was kept somewhere, fed little or nothing, and was then dumped by someone who carried her through the low water level of the river and left no footprints?

14. T34

T34 Established commenter

Seems odd - why would hunger and stress cause fatal bleeding?
    We can live 10 to 12 weeks without any food at all, so I read.

15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

This isn't a murder mystery dinner party

nomad likes this.
  16. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

That was my thoughts. Prisoners go on hunger strike for longer than this. It doesn't really make sense. Why would she exit her room through the window? Surely she would use the door.

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Stress-induced gastritis - also referred to as stress-related erosive syndrome, stress ulcer syndrome, and stress-related mucosal disease - can cause mucosal erosions and superficial haemorrhages in patients who are critically ill or in those who are under extreme physiologic stress, resulting in minimal-to-severe gastrointestinal (GI) blood loss and leading to blood transfusion if not addressed in time.
    https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/176319-overview

18. florian gassmann

The autopsy reported some scratching and bruising to her arms and legs.

19. florian gassmann

The window (pictured below) is more like a French window - i.e. a door to the outside:

upload_2019-8-15_15-18-29.jpeg

blue451 likes this.
  20. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Yes, hardly to be your typical british style bedroom window.