1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So Tragic...I am so sorry for her parents.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Aug 13, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Nora Quoirin: Body found in Malaysia search for missing girl

A body has been found in the search for a vulnerable 15-year-old girl who went missing in Malaysia.

Nora Quoirin, who has special needs, disappeared from her room at the Dusan resort on 4 August.

Malaysian police confirmed rescuers had found a body on Tuesday near where Nora was reported missing.

Missing persons charity the Lucie Blackman Trust said the body had not been identified but was "likely" to be the teenager, from London.

About 350 people had been searching for Nora in dense jungle near the resort.

BBC correspondent Howard Johnson said the body had been found just over a mile (2km) away from the Dusan.

Authorities had been treating Nora's disappearance as a missing persons case, but her family believe she may have been abducted.

On Monday, her parents Meabh and Sebastien, a French-Irish couple who have lived in London for 20 years, put up a 50,000 Malaysian ringgit (£10,000 reward) for help to find their daughter.

While announcing the reward, they described the 15-year-old as being "so precious to us", adding their "hearts are breaking".

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

It is an awful situation. My sympathies go out to the family. Hopefully the authorities are able to figure out what happened.

RIP

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It does seem a very odd place to take someone like that on holiday though.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I believe the parents are still maintaining, despite any supporting evidence, that she was abducted. They must be suffering terrible pangs of guilt about taking her to somewhere totally unfamiliar where she stood little chance of survival if she took it into her head to wander away from the jungle camp.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Short of locking someone up, doesn't wherever you live have risks for someone with learning difficulties (or other conditions)? Traffic? Unfenced water? Bullying neighbours? Wandering away from home almost anywhere could be dangerous.

The actual resort looks peaceful and in many ways idyllic. See here:

http://thedusun.com.my/facilities-dusun

This seems to have been a tragic accident. Let's not start looking for blame.

chelsea2, knitone, emerald52 and 3 others like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've travelled extensively in Malaysia and the area she disappeared in is not a playground. Yes - there are touristy bits but within a very short distance is dense jungle.

It is very easy to get lost at the best of times. For someone like her - it would have been impossible (or close to it) to find their way back again if she did get into difficulties.

[​IMG]

This is a photo from the web site of the resort which is a walk you can do through the jungle to a waterfall. You can see there is a track but if you strayed 100 yards off it then you could easily get lost.

I think it's unlikely she was abducted.

7. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

When my children were little, we took them on holiday to France. One day my youngest son, who was nearly two, managed to get on to the path leading to the house and toddled off down the hill towards the road without anyone noticing. I thought he was in the garden with his dad, who thought he was in the house with me. We realised very quickly he was missing and were searching frantically for several minutes before we saw, to our huge relief, a French builder striding up the hill with our bemused son on his shoulders. They had spotted him at the side of the road and had stopped their van to try and find his parents.

We were very, very lucky - Nora's parents weren't.

freckle06, chelsea2, knitone and 6 others like this.
  8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I don't think so. It would have / should have been a wonderful experience for her.
    It's so sad for her family.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Not really. She was probably having a lovely time and, as lalad has shown, things can go weong wherever you are.

cissy3, blue451 and FrankWolley like this.
  10. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

I’m sure her parents knew her well enough, to understand what she liked and was able to cope with.
    We don’t know yet that she wandered off. She may have been taken.
    Let’s just wait and see what post morgen results reveal.
    I’m sure her parents are heartbroken, either way.

cissy3 and FrankWolley like this.
  11. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

"to take someone like that"
    "For someone like her"
    I don't know why but I don't really like these phrases.

studentcrisis and lardylady like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I didn't mean to be disrespectful - merely pointing out that perhaps it wasn't the most appropriate environment for someone who might not be as adaptable or resourceful as other children if she was to get herself lost in the jungle.

les25paul likes this.
  13. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I'm sure I read somewhere that the family took regular holidays there, and were used to the conditions.
    Sorry, couldn't find a link.

But a tragedy in any circumstances.

14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I've just read that the body is that of Nora. As a bereaved mum, I can have some insight into how she feels. God bless them all.

15. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I was sorry to hear the news but the only consolation is that they have her back and at least will not have a lifetime of wondering if she is alive or dead or that her body might be somewhere undiscovered.

Good bless the whole family at this tragic time.

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

As you say, smurphy, her remains could have quickly disappeared by natural causes. Well done to the people who searched for her.
    I googled the condition she had. I'm not a big fan of nature but this one seems particularly cruel.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One of the many benefits of Malaysia is that there are no major predatory animals.

The largest animals in that area are monkeys.

18. Aquamarina1234

I didnt know that. Presumed otherwise.

19. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

That was one of my initial thoughts and then I thought why should Nora miss out on seeing and experiencing the World because of who she is.

Its a difficult one, the risks only outweigh the benefits when something goes wrong, Fortunately most of the time things don't.

Very tragic.

bombaysapphire and emerald52 like this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Thought I'd posted a reply earlier but it didn't appear. Just to say i was thinking more scavenger than predator.