1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So tired of it...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Oldfashioned, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

I do long term and from one year placements I now seem to be on new term, new school conveyor. I am so tired of going to new schools. This is my third school this academic year (four if you include the one day in an awful studio school). Last year I was in three schools, though one of them was a return visit.

Going through the whole palaver of learning new names, new buildings, toilet locations, fighting for a pass so you don't look like a visitor, photocopier numbers, sanctions etc etc etc. Then it's the whole solitude in the staffroom (if there is one) until someone decides you're not weird and they might talk to you, coffee, accessing catering and if you're very lucky a key to get in the rooms.

I suppose I should be happy to have some work but I just find this all so stressful and it takes a few weeks to get past it and start to feel comfortable. Of course at that point you usually find you have to start explaining why you won't stay for meetings or agree to be observed.

The sooner I get out of teaching the better!

2. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

I agree. I've had long term maternity covers since I started supply in January 2016 but each time I hate having to start over. I'd love a permanent job but can't seem to get one again!

agathamorse, pepper5 and Oldfashioned like this.
  3. Oldfashioned

Permanent would be lovely. I just posted in workplace dilemmas about my last attempt to get a permanent job just before xmas. Seems that i'm destined to keep doing this.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That's what I thought - keep going

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why not apply for permanent posts? Sounds like that is what you want.

6. greeneyes

I have applied for many permanent jobs since I started supply however I have often been pipped to the post by an NQT or teacher further down the pay scale. I asked one of the schools I did a long term stint at what exactly was I doing wrong (they'd observed me) and two senior members of staff said that budgets were incredibly tight.

I even put on applications now that I would be willing to discuss salary. The HT at one school told me they'd "love to give me a job" but ironically when one came up there I was told by the HOD that they simply couldn't afford me. They took on an NQT.

7. thin_ice

thin_ice Occasional commenter

Don’t get this. There’s no pay portability now. We’ve just appointed someone with a lot of experience who’s getting back into the job after a couple of years out. They’re starting at the same point as a newly qualified teacher.

It was that, or price themselves out. Works well for us and the older teacher has a job rather than the soul destroying supply treadmill.

I personally think it stinks, but until we get more of the fantastic funding that all schools allegedly have, that’s 2019 for you.

tonymars, agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I took a pay cut from my last permanent position to get my current job after a year on supply.

I wasn't thrilled about it - but I was also very grateful for the opportunity

tonymars, agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That was eventually the way that I got back into a full-time post. I reasoned I needed to prove myself again, just like an NQT and if it gave me a realistic foot in the door. At least it was a foot in and I could progress from there.

10. greeneyes

So now I have to wipe off all the experience and start as an NQT? Don't get me wrong, I'd not be expecting UPS but surely going down to M1 would be a smack in the face? I'd drop to M3/4 but less seems a massive insult.

Shoot me down by all means if I'm looking at it from the wrong angle.

agathamorse, JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  11. Lara mfl 05

You must do whatever feels right for you. If you feel you are 'worth' more than M1 (as it used to be) and recognise that may be a big deterrent to gaining work then stick to your guns.

For me I was fed up of not being in f-t teaching and decided that taking a huge pay cut was worth it. I'd considered becoming a TA and that meant a pay cut anyway.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  12. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

No it's the correct angle but I've made the decision to avoid permanent and just push for what I can get as long-term supply. I'm more relaxed than most about it because I'm that rare commodity of Maths/Science and preferring bottom-end schools.

It's not so much the 'massive insult' but you're asking for all the extra carp (observations, PM, meetings, SLT initiatives - and for a lot less money). When the gravy train finally derails and I can't claim £195 a day then I might change my mind on the above....... but not for a few years I hope.

13. greeneyes

Alas the most I've been able to claim the last few maternity covers is M6 so £179 a day. And that's only after I jump through the £125 a day hoop for 12 weeks (only 4 weeks and 3 more days to go for that).

As for the carp ... last place I was at I participated in observations, PM, meetings and all of that.

14. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Very true jj. Yes the train will finally derail.

pepper5, JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  15. Oldfashioned

I've tried for permanent many times. Often don't even get an interview. Despite the fact pay can be negotiated down from UPS or M6 the perception is that experienced teachers cost more. We will also question silly policies. There is also a stigma attached to those of us who have been on supply for any length of time.

pepper5, agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That much is true- teachers that have been on supply for a few years are not considered to be suitable for permanent positions by many HTs

pepper5, agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. thin_ice

thin_ice Occasional commenter

You’re not wrong.

I am disappointed that the last sentence of my post was taken out by a moderator. I made it clear that although it worked for us (we got an experienced teacher at a budget price) and the older returner ( who got a full time job) it is not a situation I am happy with at all, but this is how it works in 2019.

The edit took out the fact that I think it is a very poor place we’re in now and changed the essence of my message.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  18. Lara mfl 05

That tended to be my experience. The perception was that one either didn't want the commitment of a f/t post or one wasn't very effective as a teacher. Those of us involved in Supply know that not to be true and possibly even the reverse, but changing perceptions is always difficult. :(

JohnJCazorla, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  19. greeneyes

I can (most of the time) get the interviews. I just can't land the actual job. But like I said, a HT directly told me that budgets are tight and that I hadn't even factored in the pension contribution on the school's behalf too. He said it all adds up.

I was told at the last school I did a long term cover at to really press home my "versatility". I went in to an interview with brilliant results to back me up (I'm not just saying that, I was fortunate to teach in an Outstanding school with motivated kids aspiring to study at Oxford etc) and yet I was still beaten by the NQT. It frustrates me that they say "I would do this" whereas I can say "I have done this and here are the results to prove I'm not totally rubbish."

But I don't see why I should price myself down to an NQT wage because then I'd spend the next 6 years (if fortunate!) to get to a reasonable level again.

JohnJCazorla, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  20. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I think the idea that one should go from M6 to M1 to get a job is very off-putting.

I think if you're going to work for new graduate levels of pay it would be more satisfying to start a whole new career...

That said, my family commitments mean that flexibility and teachers holidays make my life that much easier. I'm not sure I could commit to a permanent position at the moment.

I would absolutely retrain if I was 20 years younger...

pepper5, agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.