1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So there are a lot of jobs in ICT, are there?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by apmcarthur, Feb 4, 2012.

1. More negativity!

Wait to you see what happens when computing is introduced to the ebac

Not to mention the huge population increase on its way...

The future will be ok! Its just a bumpy period.

2. On a practical consideration, where would Computing fit into the ebac? If it's classed as a "science", most schools do Single/Double/Triple rather than "pick your own" science - so it's not as easy to swap out some of the science lessons with computing - nor would any school want to. If it comes as an extra option in the "free choice" sections of option forms then it'll just be the replacement for ICT in this area....

3. I'm just quoting what Gove said - He wants to add it.

Computing is very important - With the development of mobile apps etc - So much future commerce depends on computing.

Britain needs to compete in this market - In order for them to compete they need to train students.

Thats what Goves motivation is - ICT is changing into a new subject - And one that will be very important.

Its common sense.

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

A few points. Gove never said he wanted it, he said he would give it serious thought. It won't end up in the Ebacc because it's not a traditional subject that HE grew up with.

Computing my well be very important, but if Gove hammered ICT for being boring and clearly nationally OFSTED have pinged ICT as being delivered poorly then how on earth is computing suddenly going to take it's place? Where is this army of computing graduates who can step up to teach? If most of the ICT teachers nationally can't even step up to deliver a subject like ICT well then how the hell are they going to role out computing to the masses? Gove only mentioned scratch in name when he talked about programming and that's all that's gonna happen nationally and we will tick a box saying we do "programming" and then we will wait a decade for anyone to rail against the teaching of the subject.

I shall just watch form the sidelines as nationally people "step up" to deliver this pioneering vision and when you start posting threads saying "my computing grades are so useless, it must be the board and not mine and my team's teaching or the fact that we forced a bloody boring subject onto kids who did not want it" I'll smile to myself and might even post "told you so"

5. Computing isn't necessarily boring (or higher levels only for that matter)
    However, I basically agree with you. ICT isn't intrinsically boring either ; it is the way it is done through people who don't know the subject often thus stick to a script.
    Problem is that Computing will make this worse. The same thing happened with the old Computer Studies exam. It wasn't intrinsically boring but it was usually (IME) taught by pressganged maths teachers many of whom did it unwillingly and as straight factual learning.

6. robot1

robot1 New commenter

Agreed. Computing in the EBAC is a complete red herring. The EBAC is made up of English, Maths, Science, History/Geography and a MFL. Computing is never going to be an additional subject as even fewer will get it. So will it be instead of Science? No way as everyone must do Science. Will it be instead of any of the others? No again.

So where exactly will Computing fit into the EBAC? This is just a carrot Gove has put out to get some enthusiasm behind getting more Computing into schools. He has no intention to include Computing into the EBAC. I really cannot believe that anyone has taken this EBAC thing seriously.

7. It's really funny.

I thought this was a witty, tongue-in-cheek comment and didn't think for one moment that you were serious.

Tell me, are you young?

8. Yup

9. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

ICT has been around as a school subject for, what, 15/20 years maybe? (computing longer) It's probably fair to say it's had a formal structure for even less time, too.
    The other subjects have been around for decades or centuries - I expect they had tough times initially working out what should or should not be taught beyond a few basics. But not developed in a time of targets, of course.
    The subject is evolving, and needs to do so. We'll no doubt see something from both ICT and Computing when the subject stabilises.

10. Absolutely - I agree.

Some people seem to think the subject will vanish - And perhaps there could be less emphasis on it for a while.... But considering the need for IT skills in the workplace...

Considering the importance employers put on it...

To say it will stop being taught at schools?

Rubbish.

11. IT was being taught in schools already when I did my PGCE in the late eighties (25 years). It has had a National Curriculum programme of study since the early nineties (20 years).
    I take your point about it being relatively new (there were no computers in my school in the early eighties), but I don't believe it's ever a subject which will stabilise, since it's very basis is always changing.

12. It was unheard of in 1988 when I left teaching for industry, even though some of the components were present, albeit in a simpler form.
    Actually my first school was teaching it in 1965 - coursework done down a phone line in batches :)

13. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I think we can still teach fundamentals. The underlying concepts of ICT/Computing don't change as much as the way we access it or use it. Presenting information and programming still follow certain "rules" that don't change as quickly.
    If we don't lose sight of that, the subject stands a chance.

14. Because I get off on posting the same thing over and over again.....ICT was invented by Lord Stevenson in 1997 when he authored the report that carries his name.

15. But we had IT long before then.

16. ICT in school, from what I can see, was in good shape before vocational's came along and were awarded up to 4 GCSE's.

Take them out of the league table and it 'may' begin to be taken seriously again.

17. Absolutely. Things went downhill rapidly when GNVQ ICT was brought in, worth a very silly 4 Gcses. When New Labour 'modernised' ICT by bringing in the mickey mouse Nationals and its cousins, you just knew that standards would continue to spiral downwards for another few years. Gove is a **** but on this particular issue, he is the first politician to be moving in the right direction for 15 years so he should be given some credit for that. He still has yet to realise that changing a name, from ocr nationals to cambridge nationals won't fool anyone, but employers will continue to wonder what this "qualification" is, and sooner or later it will be flushed down the toilet with all the other turds.

18. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

Since when was February 4th the "peak" period for job advertisements?