1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So, teaching it is

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by economan, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Thought the time has come to register on here. I've just graduated, and have yesterday been offered a place on a PGCE
    Business course to start in just two months. Being offered a place is such a massive relief; after years of doddering in no real direction, I took the decision last November that teaching was what I would go for, full throttle - Not realising I would need to arrange experience in a school, nor that the selection process quite so hard to get through even after that. Suffice to say, getting here in that time has taken a lot of effort and a fair dose of luck. But it looks like nothing compared to what I know lies ahead.

So, 21 and a few months old, fresh out of uni, "just a kid", and in a little over two months, I'm going to pretend to 25 rowdy 14 year olds I'm a real teacher. I was only 6 or 7 when they were born, and some of the A Level students will have been born when I couldn't dress myself. They won't know because I won't tell them, but right now, I'm so excited about the opportunity - a career in education, but scared - because I have so much to learn, and so much responsibility to others and to myself. That's for adults, right?

I've been descriptive because I know someone out there is going to think "that was me x years ago", and I want to know what advice they have to give. I'll pass it on one day.

2. <font size="2">Hi Economan, I'm invidulating some ks3 exams on a cover at the moment and thought I would take some time to reply to your very descriptive posting. </font><font size="2">What an amazing time you are about to have, I am quite jealous and would love to do my PGCE year all over again. You will hear mixed stories, but you will get out of it what you put in. These are my thoughts (inspired by the sunscreen song).</font><font size="2">Your TPs will be a real eye opener and the learning curve is ridiculous. You will have so much work on that your eyeballs will spin with tiredness but you will sleep deep contented sleeps. You will meet students that make you laugh (are you in-village-ating us miss? and I needed to scratch my brain - from today's lesson), some may make you cry (Harry WHY did you choose to write in pencil you are 17?). </font><font size="2">Your TP will be a great opportunity to be a fly on the wall. You will see some outstanding teaching (lets review the objectives), and some lazy teaching (just keep them in the room and make sure they don't set fire to the bin) and you will know each of these when you see them. You will decide what kind of teacher you want to be - strict n' scary or firm but fair. This will shape you and how you choose to work.</font><font size="2">You will listen to some lectures at Uni that make you want to drop off to sleep and doodle the words "why am I here?" on your notepad. You will hear other lectures that make you sit up and think - yes I want to apply that to my classroom and you feel fired up with inspiration and love of the job. You will congratulate yourself that you made the right decision and feel excited about the kind of teacher that you can be.</font><font size="2">You will make friends on the course who are odd, some may be a lot older than you, a PGCE in business is a magnet for some of the oddsbodkins of the world. I include myself in this happy mix of potty business enthusiasts. </font><font size="2">Some of the lecturers at Uni may sit on the side of the desk informally and words of gold pour from their mouths, for you to scribble down frantically every word. Others may make you want to stick a fork in your eye through boredom and you will instantly forget the lesson the minute you leave the lecture hall.</font><font size="2">You may find you have new skills - back in the dark dark ages I helped a lecturer to set up a projector and OHP (this was state of the art equipment) and then the Uni decided that my second TP should be ICT and I found myself teaching ICT at A level a week later! Happy days. </font><font size="2">Whatever happens - keep smiling every day is different. </font>

3. thebusinessone

thebusinessone New commenter

That was me last year! Although a couple of years older than you I too felt extremely scared, but I loved every minute of it. Highlights include being mistaken for a student (I was offended at first until someone told me it wouldn't happen for much longer so I love it now!), having a great relationship with Years 12 and 13 because they appreciate that you are younger than most other teachers so you 'get them' better, getting presents at Christmas and end of term (appreciation in its finest) and seeing students faces light up when they realise they have got the grades in your subject for the job they wanted or to get their place at university. Job satisfaction really is the driving force behind teaching, when you are inundated with reports, marking and OFSTED preperation just remember why you want to teach and you will get through it. Don't drown on your PGCE, staying up til 4am might mean you have the best lesson plan and resources, but if you're too tired to teach it effectively what was the point? Lastly, talk to people - your mentor at placement, your friends and your uni tutor. All will have invaluable experience/stories to share! Good luck!

4. This was me last year. Despite being nearly 10 years older than you many students and teachers still thought and sone still think that I look 10 years younger than my age. But it needn't be an issue. Be yourself and relax. My advice for you is to allocate your time effectively- make sure that you have at least 1.5 days a week to do nothing school/Unu related. Dont be a perfectionist for every single lesson, allow yourself to take risks and make mistakes, you are human after all. Any additional subject/ experience you can do then do it- business teaching jobs are minimal - you will need to make yourself stand out amongst your competition and apply for jobs early- don't leave it or you could find yourself struggling to find work. But don't panic about this, enjoy the year- it will go extremely quickly. Good luck!