1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

So stressed

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Gruffalorich, Dec 14, 2011.

  1. I have been off work for about a year (depression related to work). It became apparent that I could not go back to the school and I decided to accept a compromise agreement. The union contacted personnel mid August suggesting a CA, it took until October to make me an offer, which I accepted immediately. But the agreement still has not been sorted. In fact if I hadn't been calling and e-mailing I don't think anyone would have been in touch with me to update me. My union say it should have been sorted but it hasn't. I am changing career and could have resigned and I feel sure that school would have been happy to let me go immediately, thereby giving me the opportunity to start up my new business and bring some money in. However as it stands there is no agreement, no money coming in and in two weeks time I will be unable to pay my bills. I am waking up at 4 o'clock in the morning worrying about it. I am dreaming about going to the bank and being unable to get any money. I can feel myself getting more and more stressed and am concerned about sliding back into depression. Sorry, I did put paragraphs in x
  2. chuk

    chuk New commenter

    You need to persevere with your union. Have they put anything in writing? Have you expended all your sick pay? It is difficult to offer you clear advice as there are so many questions that need to be asked. You may want to get a union solicitor to look closely at this CA.
    Where do you intend to get the start up capital for you new business venture?
  3. I don't want to put too much info on here, but I already possess a lot of things I need for my new career, others I can acquire at a later date.

    Sick pay is gone. Union (regional office) have been sent the CA but I have heard nothing from them yet, despite my local rep saying they would be in touch soon. He has been chasing regional on my behalf.
  4. slippeddisc

    slippeddisc New commenter

    I would contact regional yourself then. You need answers. Have you got a friend who can temporarily lend at least enough for the bills from?
    Does the lack of a CA stop you starting your own business anyway?
  5. Thank you for your post.

    I have now been in touch with regional who haven't even received it yet - despite personnel being asked to send it straight to regional. It might be sitting on the doormat of my local rep who is away from home at the moment. Regional & myself are tring to contact personnel again to find out what's going on and get the CA sent.

    Not sure I can borrow the money. Bank not very helpful. On Monday will have to call everyone who is due payment to try and get them to wait.

    Because the CA hasn't been sorted I'm actually still under contract so cannot start another job. I did suggest that the LA give me permission to work whilst this is sorted but that was rejected.
  6. slippeddisc

    slippeddisc New commenter

    If you are still under contract you should be getting paid surely?
  7. No because I've been off sick for a year and so my sick pay has finished. I cannot return but because the CA hasn't been sorted my contract hasn't actually been terminated.
  8. Torey

    Torey Occasional commenter

    I don't understand why you can't run your own business whilst under contract. Even full time teachers can have a second job. I'd check with an employment solicitor. Can you get signed back as fit to work and that would mean they have to pay you again. Im sure they'd sort it out if it cost them something.
  9. I think that as I'd actually be working the same hors as I'm contracted to teach that it would not be allowed - that was my understanding anyway.

    Unfortunately because I knew I was leaving teaching because of everything that's happened I allowed my membership of the GTCE to lapse - so I can't actually go back & teach. I know it'll get sorted eventually but as it doesn't affect anyone else in a negative way they aren't bothered how long it takes. But it's making me ill again.
  10. Torey

    Torey Occasional commenter

    Try an employment solicitor that offers the first half hour free. ACAS may be able to help. Keep pestering your union and see if you can access their hardship fund.

Share This Page