1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

So, no phone call what do you do next?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by stuart dann, Jan 22, 2012.

  1. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    If you can't earn money try saving money - moneysavingexpert.com is a good starting point. Switching utility and insurance providers, moving any savings you might have into more profitable accounts, switching your current account for cashback, finding a NHS dentist etc etc

    Alternatively flog old junk on eBay or start some home improvement project that will add value to your property.

    Rocking from side to side and sobbing is also a good way of filling work-free days, but it doesn't help the cashflow.
  2. [​IMG]
  3. This made me giggle! I tend to walk the dog or go for a swim. And try my very hardest not to get sucked into the daytime TV ****...sometimes I win but sometimes Jeremy Kyle hooks me in.[​IMG]
  4. Many of us have cut back and have been living exceptionally frugally for the last twenty years!!!!
    DIY continues to be done...seasonally for outdoor repairs and maintenance of course...but! >>>>>libraries for all free papers and the TIMES cryptic and the i for 20p my only "luxury.
  5. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Claim Jobseekers' Allowance.
    Accept that there is very little supply teaching work available and 'consultants' will string you along with provisional bookings that are never firmed up.
    Accept that the consultants, whether in a private agency or an outsourced LA one, are there to serve the needs of the school and even though they are your employer, they exercise no duty of care for you.
    Expect to be offerd Cover Supervisor work rather than teaching work. The agency will tell you that the school doesn't need a teacher, just someone to supervise the classes and maintain order. The schools will expect you to function in the same way as ht esupply teachers that they used to request, knowing that many of those sent as CS are actually qualified teachers.
    I last worked on 5th October and I've been with my outsourced LA agency (paid by LA) since 2003.
    I've been 'on standby' for one school since last Wednesday in case I'm needed for a practical specialism. The school have not rung the agency each day to say that they won't be needing me, thank you very much, so the agency keeps me in the wings in case a late call requesting me comes from the school and that means that I'm not inh the running for any work that comes in from 7.30 at other schools!
    I'm reaching the stage where I'm no longer prepared to put my life on hold for the odd day of work. You may be more fortunate with bookings as your will be cheaper than me.
    Do not leave it solely tot he agency to get you work. Circulate your CV to schools where you have never been sent by an agency. Any work generated will be paid via the LA. You might fall lucky and get longer-term cover work. I sent CVs to 20 schools in 2006 and ended up working almost all of 2007 and half of 2008 at one of the schools.
  6. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    As aways jubilee. provide realistic, sensible advice.
    Yes do claim Jobseekers if you're eligible, for some financial input. Living off practically 'fresh air' does restrict seriously one's activities and although one has time to do things like DIY, even the materials for those cost money, which one can ill afford.
    Many of us posting, have been doing this for many years and are still trying to answer your initial question "What does one do when the phone doesn't ring?"
    What works for one day doesn't always the next. Somedays it really gets to you and others it's not too bad.
  7. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    JSA is £67-50 per week if you are aged 25yrs or over. Younger than that and you obviously don't need as much to feed and clothe yourself or heat your home as the rate is lower at £53-45 per week.
    If you are part of a couple on Benefits, you get £105-95 per couple if both of you are aged 18yrs or over.
    You get £62-33 for each dependent child. You don't get Child benefit as well.
    Housing benefit is paid but is about to be capped and will vary depending on the average rents in your area for different types of dwellings/claimants.
    Those under 35yrs will be paid a rate for the average rent for a room ina shared house, not the average for a one bedroom flat.
    If you have savings over a certain amount, Benefits will be reduced or not paid at all until your savings have reduced, with the proviso that you can still get the JSA Personal Allowanc eof £67-50 ( or £53-45 ) per week if you have paid enough NI in the past - though that Contributory JSA only lasts for a maximum of 26 weeks in any claim year.
    To be getting £500 per week from the system, you'd need to be an unemployed couple, with 4 children and rent of approx £150 per week OR be a single parent with 4 or 5 children and rent between £120 and £180.
    When on Income Based benefits, you do of course get free prescriptions, dental and optical treatment and no Council Tax either.
  8. VelvetChalk

    VelvetChalk New commenter

    Get an hour of shut eye, have a leisurely brunch, go shopping, watch tv, try and gloss the house (never quite get round to that one), play with my new puppy, laundry, surf the web, play games on my console/pc. Cant claim any job seekers at all as hubby earns too much.
  9. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    If you paid enough NI in 2009-2010 and 2010-2011, you can claim JSA Contributory of just over £67 per week for a maximum of 26 weeks for any claim started in 2012. Sign off for at least 12 weeks after getting the maximum payout and then make a new claim at some point in 2013 and they will look at your NI in 2010-2011 and 2011-2012, giving you a potential entitlement to 26 more weeks of JSA Contributory.
    had you claimed in 2011, they would have looked at your NI in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010.
    JSA Contributory is not Means-Tested. You could win the lottery jackpot and still be able to claim it if you'd made those NI payments.
    NI is the State insurance poilicy. You pay the premiums and get to claim on the policy when unemployed (JSA) or retired (State Old Age Pension)
  10. Pennyforyourthoughts

    Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

    .........................................IN SOME SCHOOLS........ the technicians are doing the practicals???? Wonder if they get paid a higher rate.
  11. Pennyforyourthoughts

    Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

    Regarding what to do when the phone does not ring. ............... I keep a diary with whats happening in my community and near by communities for each week and if I happen to be off for a day I look at it and see whats on..... it could be swimming with the swimming crowd on a Wednesday + the coffee club after, it could be University of the Third Age on another day depending on the week with what sub group is meeting... otherwise visit family, volunteer at the local museum, bake cakes...................... so many cakes lately, whilst I would love to be working and earning more .......I am never not busy... and at the moment working on my own range of art works which will be ready this year sometime... to hit the scenes. Advice for all those not working............ this is a great time to start something new....or polish up old rusty skills............ we are really the envy of all those stressed out teachers .................. So enjoy your day whatever you choose to do with it when the phone does not ring.
  12. To be honest I actually worry about getting work because I'm so busy otherwise! I'm very involved in Guiding (if I got paid for it I'd be rolling in it.) so that keeps me occupied!
  13. Ah, I did not know this! Explains my 're-assessment' letter I received last week, with key dates of when my JSA is being altered to reflect my decreasing savings. Recalling now, it goes upa lot when I reach my 25th birthday. Hoping to not be on JSA by that time.

    My new supply agency have just told me that my CRB got portability and I'm now available for work. Now, do I continue as I do with my other supply agency and continue to sleep in, and if that calls comes, race around like a lunatic OR start getting up in the morning? Hmm...
  14. les25paul

    les25paul Star commenter

    If this new agency accepts portability it sounds like they are more "switched on" then some other agencies. I would start getting up earlier since they might be the one geting all the work.
  15. I have spoken to many science technicians whilst as a specialist science teacher in many schools: they clearly and honestly admit they cannot teach and would have the honesty to say so when bullied/asked to do so!
    I wonder how many TAs would admit their limitations?

Share This Page