1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So, no ict at all in the EBac?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by mossonbrick, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Let's be clear: The last 10 years have been a disaster as measured
    by comparison to our competitors:

In science we've fallen from 4th to 16th in the world.

In maths we've gone from 8th to 28th. (OECD league tables)

Things need to change. Universities won't ignore the Ebac -
    it gives official recognition to established facts. 'A's in Drama,
    Media and Physiology aren't getting you into a top university. 'A' s
    in maths, physics and languages will.

The USA, the land of the Internet, Microsoft and Apple manages
    without ICT lessons in its schools. It does however offer
    Advanced Placement Computer Science, taught using Java.

I'm not going to defend every aspect of coalition policy (or even
    most), but anyone who does not recognise that we have problems
    requiring major surgery is in my opinion in cloud cuckoo land.

2. Apart from the ability to create fancy Powerpoints about French vocabulary / The River Nile / Henry VIII / World War 2 etc., I have never seen any evidence of this. The only other GCSE subjects that I have seen providing useful ICT skills are Photography (image manipulation), and possibly Media (proper use of search engines/sources, reliable info etc.)

3. I've worked in IT detpartments for 30 years, although my expertise is in database performance my peripheral interest has been in facilitating the distribution of information. I can state that any graduate would not be let lose to write queries against any database I support, but they do produce reports, spreadsheets, charts, presentations etc. Most of them can produce a lengthy report in Word, but when you analyse it, it is a one off. A monthly report with charts showing the past months databasically has to be rewritten each month whereas it should have auto updating spreadsheets and charts embedded in the document. The text should be set up to stop orphaned headers etc. I can churn out standard monthly reports in minuties instead of half a day. I can also identify which is the correct tool for the job, many people stick to what they know.
    Workflow and Content Management Systems are the new requirements, along with collaboration and remote working. Microsoft Sharepoint is their biggest growing software sector, cloud computing is becoming a serious tool. Internal equivalents to Facebook and Twitter are also becoming an important part of the workplace and breaking down the hierarchy that used to be the norm. I am now part of several forums at work that cross departmental boundaries completely and also produce a blog and have recorded short training videos.
    We shouldn't be churning out kids who know how to use Office 2010, they should understand what features should be present in each piece of software however. I think ICT is as much a basic requirement as Maths and English. It will serve them well in further education and in most offices, regardless of their chosen disipline.

4. Is there no edit facilitly in this benighted software as well as no spell checker. [​IMG] I could really do with correcting some of the more obvious errors :D

5. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Office 2010? God you can tell you work in the private sector! I DREAM of the day I can use 2007, let alone 2010. Flipping public sector.
    But seriously interested in what you've produced. What sort of videos and for what programs? Any possible Key Stage 3 - 5 uses? Seeing you're in industry and have given us an insight into what you'd want it would be good to know more.

6. Colwynexile - have you heard about Microsoft's price restructure for education? Schools can have the latest office suite with price based on the number of staff instead of students - cuts costs considerably - less than a third of the price for us. Microsoft's rationale is that more homes will upgrade to new versions if schools have them. Just hoping Adobe will follow suit!

7. hollata, initial outlay is quite expensive though for moving to the restructured program isn't it? We're about to cost-benefit analysis for it, but moving to the new scheme doesn't seem to reap rewards for a couple of years...
    I'd be interested to hear from any schools that have done it already.

8. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Well.. we are moving to Office 2010 and Win 7 pcs in Sept as we leap into a new build. However, the cost has been huge even with edu discounts and could only be afforded as part of the re-equip of the new Academy (before everyone starts howling, we got the budget under the old BSF programme and were too far along when our fifties-throw-back edu sec came to power).

9. sorry my course is TECHNICALLY computing but I've compared the a level courses and they are practically the same. What did you think of the whole Edge Hill QTS experience?

10. To be honest, I think the university side of the PGCE would be much the same everywhere, so I don't really have a view on Edge Hill from that perspective. It's not like being an undergraduate with a big social scene at the union. Most of the time you're in placement schools. It's the quality of the schools that make the difference. Merseyside has some tough schools, but my first placement on the Wirral was fantastic and sold me on teaching. My second school near Wigan was awful. The kids were fine but I was like an unpaid supply teacher, often left on my own with classes. I learnt very little from the second school. I have to say, I don't think teacher training is that good overall. I was a soldier before becoming a teacher and I think my previous career did more to give me confidence and authority in the classroom then all the lectures on assertive discipline.
    BTW, if you are doing A level maths at the moment I would very strongly advise you to do your PGCE in maths. You are very unlikely to be unemployed with a maths PGCE (or physics). Many of the older computing teachers are maths graduates, so with your A-level computing as well I think you would be welcomed to teach computing as well as maths if you so wished. However ICT jobs may be in short supply over the next few years....
    Finally, while I think its possible to make an ICT A-level very like a Computing A-level, the reverse shouldn't be true.

11. Any clues? Location?

Game of hangman? ;)

12. Lol! Not likely. Discretion is the better part of valour. I sometimes comment on my own school, so I prefer not to identify myself. I did consider creating a second account using my own name for less controversial posts. However if I did that I'd be one of JB's "socks" and have to live in his underwear draw, possibly next to the JB undies..... a fate worse than death ;)

13. All the videos so far have been how to do things within Sharepoint. They are all designed to be quich how-tos, no longer than 3 mins each so they can be watched and remembered without needing to take notes provided you intend to try things straight away. They are all very point+click intensive tasks that become very long winded to describe in a document with screenshots. The 3 mins also means I can record them in pretty much one take [​IMG]
    I use the recording facility in Webex and cut all the hesitations out, which makes me look super efficient with a lightning fast PC. I then dub the audio on. Longer presentations are better with Powerpoint + Demos and taking questions.

14. Franky I am not surprised, what I have seen of the ICT curriculums in schools is rubbish, teaching pupils to use Microsoft Office, big deal, how to write a letter, lashings of PowerPoint etc. Lets face it, it is a 'soft' subject and many Universitites won't accept GCE ICT. The Exam boards need to ge their act together and give the ICT curriculum some respectability.

15. The GCSE ICT is not a soft option. It is challenging. As for many Universities won't accept ... Evidence please. Students cannot gain acceptable Grades just using Powerpoint and/or Word. Forgive me for disagreeing with Royalty!

16. I teach the gcse ict and about 20% of it is interesting and challenging. Most of it is the usual drivel about planning projects, implications of ict, 100 uses for input and output devices and terrible coursework you have to do twice - a 'mirror' assignment taught in baby steps to teach them and the actual one done in baby steps. It's only challenging in the sense that you need the stomach and stamina to wade through a huge pile of non-information, stuff you can pick up easily as you go along when older from the net. We do the excel bored, and from sept, ict becomes an option at our school. I think we will go down from 5 to 1 gcse ict class and a big part of me is very happy at that. We expect 2 or 3 year 9 classes in a 2 year as computing course (done by ocr, no coursework). This is a proper computing course.

17. What is the Computing Course?

18. OCR AS Computing, starts in year 10 and ends at the end of year 11. We put this in as an alternative option for year 9 and have been chuffed that over 40 students selected it. We know our pupils' parents want their children to do proper subjects like AS Computing and that many of them take the time to find out about ict and computing courses, which is great. AS Computing really should be gcse ict. Then the subject wouldn't be in the mess that it is in.

19. BrianUK

BrianUK New commenter

And yet again another troll jumps in trying to rubbish ICT. You are a half-wit and clearly have either no experience in industry or teaching to make such judgements.
    Where exactly are you getting your evidence from to make such statements about GCSE A Level? You are a twit.

20. BrianUK

BrianUK New commenter

Of course I meant GCE A Level!