1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So much has changed,

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Oct 20, 2015.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

‘Until August 1914 a sensible, law-abiding Englishman could pass through life and hardly notice the existence of the state, beyond the post office and the policeman. He could live where he liked and as he liked…

Broadly speaking, the state acted only to help those who could not help themselves. It left the adult citizen alone.’

• J. P. Taylor, English History 1914 – 1945

lanokia likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Rings true for me.

The 'State' IMO should only be there for those in need.

Otherwise it should be invisible. I think that makes me left-wing libertarian [yes there is such a thing!]

lexus300 likes this.
  3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Englishman of course.....

lexus300 and lanokia like this.
  4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Have you see the new film Suffragette, Helen? Quite a lot of state intervention there.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah a good point @HelenREMfan

Didn't apply to the women... yet. And of course in August 1914 the Englishmen would start dying in their thousands in service to the State.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes, the wealthy adult male could oppress whomsoever he felt like oppressing.

7. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

The historian who wrote that book was the great A. J. P. Taylor.

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

OH Dear, must we digress into sex discrimination (or other types)? What happened regarding that, then, does not happen now and that is good.
    I do think many of the values then were good, pride in your nationality and your industries, the ability and courage to stand up to german aggression (or from anyone else), when even the USA was unable to until much later. We had the empire (with all its faults) and we pulled together as a nation/empire. There were many good things which we ignore today on the false premise of freedom and equality which no longer exists other than through how much money you have.

9. grumpydogwoman

Must we? Yes, we must.

In my opinion we learn nothing from history except the infinite variety of men’s behaviour. We study it, as we listen to music or read poetry, for pleasure, not for instruction. AJP T

Yes, things have changed. For better and for worse. Such is the nature of life.

10. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

Money mattered more then than now and many men did not have the vote until 1918.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Englishman of course...

Rhoswen77 likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But not alone.

Rhoswen77 likes this.
  13. Rhoswen77

Little Englanders are still blinkered even in the 21st C. Not a lot changes...

racroesus likes this.
  14. Rhoswen77

I hope Lanokia doesn't teach History.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And which bit did I get historically wrong?

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

An English Man or Woman does not need to change who they are, who they have been and who they will be. Until, that is, the EU wrestles all our nationhood away from us.

17. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

That's very true. We're a lot poorer for the changes.

18. WaylonWu

Applying today's values to times past. Never a good idea.

19. WaylonWu

That's also very true. It's highly unlikely people today people would be able to defend themselves and their culture in such a way. They are actively discouraged from doing so. Deliberately, legally and ideologically. False premises indeed. You could equally have titled this thread So Much Have We Lost.

20. grumpydogwoman

Oh, well. I'm voting against membership of the EU.

Take pork pies! Not MY pork pie though. Get your own.

Now I love an authentic pork pie but caveat emptor should apply. The idea that we spend billions on the EU for them to adjudicate on what pastry-product may label itself as genuine Melton Mowbray is obscene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melton_Mowbray_Pork_Pie_Association