1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

so many young teachers at intl schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rod901, Aug 23, 2017.

1. rod901

rod901 New commenter

Why are there so many young teachers at international schools? And why so many local teaching staff when it is supposed to be an intl school?

2. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Each school will be different, but younger teachers tend to be cheaper for a start...... As for the number of local staff, that depends on the type of school. Some are true international schools, with an international staff, international pupils and international curriculum, whereas others follow an international curriculum and that is all.

It's well worth researching the school properly before applying if you think you might have a problem with working in a more local environment.

3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

As regular readers of my ramblings will be aware, some of the more dubious "international" schools do indeed make a habit of employing lots of younger teachers and even NQs. As well as being cheaper, young teachers probably do not have any previous experience of international education and so they have nothing to compare things with.

Of course, it is usually cheaper to employ locals.

4. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Why not have local staff? Some of the children will be local.
    Regarding age, I think it's easier to drop everything and go teach overseas when you're young and don't yet have a mortgage, spouse or children.

Odhran32 likes this.
  5. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

We have some fantastic local teachers. The salary at our school is the same whether you're an international hire or local hire teacher.

charb74 and rosiecg like this.
  6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Surely "international" includes a range of many countries, including the host country. And I find the OP's unspoken premise rather odd, as it seems to be suggesting that local teachers are somehow lesser than other nationalities.
    As for young teachers, any good school wants a good handful of the young set. A mix of ages on staff is best for a school.

576 likes this.
  7. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

The OP is just trying to justify his inability to secure a job at an international school.

It's easier to blame young teachers and locals rather than face the reality that no one is going to employ a music teacher to teach English iGCSE, even with a (shady) background in teaching EFL and (fake) references from friends and internet acquaintances, as well as the obvious multiple personality disorder.

sabrinakat, rosiecg, T0nyGT and 4 others like this.
  8. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

My school hires a lot of families, many with one teaching parent. Families stick around a long time. We also hire young singles, generally with experience, but most only hang around for a couple of years due to the location. Its bit of a sleepy location near the beach. Not much nightlife except for a few bars. Great for families, not great for meeting people (bit of a goldfish bowl).

We have teachers from all the English speaking countries plus filipinos and a few locals.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  9. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Helen-Back likes this.
  10. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

I'm 68 and am not the oldest teacher at my school... And some of the "local hire" teachers here are excellent and some of the foreign hires have been a waste of space... Like the one who left after two months because he said he couldn't work in a school "full of gays" except that he used another word...

11. sicalifornia

sicalifornia New commenter

It's much easier to up your things and go when you are younger, I guess.

Shimazu2 likes this.
  12. makhnovite

makhnovite New commenter

The Hippo has it about right; they are cheap and easier to control.

13. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

What a lot of assumptions and generalisations. Even in the UK the old Burnham-style salary scales are a thing of the distant past, so 'young' need not necessarily equate with 'cheap'. Are there any cheap Physics teachers? With vivid memories of some of the young firebrands I've met on the circuit the 'easier to control' bit also makes me smile.

As several colleagues have already pointed out, 'international' also includes 'local', and where good host-country staff can be found it's daft to appoint only expats, especially if some of the imports turn out to be of inferior quality. India, for instance, produces some of the best Maths teachers on the planet and flying in somebody from Wigan to teach sums to kiddies in Delhi is just asking for trouble.

14. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

As usual, some wise words from the Captain, aka the Sage of Walmington-On-Sea.

Fans of that splendid old play Unman, Wittering and Zigo will recall that the local betting shop is called "the Burnham Scale's best friend".

No, there are no cheap Physics teachers and often no expensive Physics teachers either.

15. rod901

rod901 New commenter

BSD a) wrong
    b) wrong
    c) IGCSE English IS glorified ESL.

16. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

IGCSE English is certainly not EFL. Maybe you could say 2nd language is, but not 1st.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  17. february31st

february31st Occasional commenter

So many young school teachers have 50k GBP of student loan and credit card debt. They cant afford to live and work in the UK and buy a house.

Who with a sound mind wants to teach in the UK.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  18. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

That's another reason you won't be offered the jobs you're going for - you don't even know what the iGCSE entails.

19. rod901

rod901 New commenter

Correct!

20. rod901

rod901 New commenter

Yes because the students pay $20k USD for private education and so one would expect that they expect expat teachers to teach them not chinese teaching assistants who have just graduated from college and they also expect expat staff to teach the subject that they are qualified to teach not chinese assistants to teach certain subjects, Assistants are assistants not teachers. Also there are plenty of public schools with local teachers which cost nothing to attend.