1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So many threads where state benefits become the issue!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Oct 8, 2015.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I am as guilty as anyone else for carping about our benefit system and its misuse/abuse.
    EG., how can the unemployment benefit system be put right?
    I worked abroad for a couple of years and saw things that at first shocked me because I had the British 'mental set' on such benefits.
    Why can we not have a transparent system that pays a single person a fixed sum and similarly an increasing amount if you are married with a family. That sum is nationally assessed as enough to live on healthily.
    No further money for any reason and the money is paid until you find work or for a fixed period beyond which no payment. Obviously the state would provide the means of relocation for work if necessary.
    Chronic disability would be treated as a separate issue and medically proven disability through injury also a separate issue.
    I admit to not having thought it all through so shoot me down.

2. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Married with a family? Married without children? Cohabiting? Married with children to a spouse with a well-paid job? Father of several "families"? Do all the babymothers and offspring get the cash too?
    You don't get JSA forever. When it runs out you move on to means-tested Income Support (or whatever it's called now) and stay on it forever.
    The only thing that will stop career claimants is to make them work on a government scheme, such as clearing canals, removing graffiti and chewing gum - something less attractive that most jobs and requiring them to be up and out by 8 a.m. or lose the benefit.

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Benefits should come with a contraceptive implant.

BelleDuJour and lexus300 like this.
  4. lurk_much

Is the work ethic genetic?

5. lurk_much

Do we need more workers?

6. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

There are plenty of unfilled jobs that remain unfilled because the claimant, especially if there are dependants, is no better off for doing it than not doing it.

7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

.....or even quite considerably worse off. It is also not the benefit that is too much but the fact that too many of these "jobs" pay too little.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just seems to me to be the right wing equivalent of folks who complain about the 1% and other aspects of affluence.

A feeling that they are unfair recipients of money. Not saying that's how I see it, just a human response.

I know I've moaned in my time about people who get child benefit ... maybe because I'm childless and resent paying for it. I know other people have defended it, because they have kids and are recipients. All just bias. [cue someone telling me it's not]

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, it can't be made very simple since families just aren't.

What if you've a health problem? What about the area you live and your rent? What if you have a job that doesn't pay a steady income? Self-employed and sometimes end up with nothing at the end of the month? What if you have a kid who comes and goes? A partner who comes and goes.

How many people are three pay-days away from disaster?

10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The problem is that posters like Xena can't think beyond their gut reactions (evolved half a million years ago).

11. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

A lot of the information is changing as people move onto "Universal Credit" (if I've got the name right)
    As far as I know it hasn't been completely "rolled out" with regional differences and i don't even know if it is in my area yet

A situation which I believe has been (or is being) made worse by the reduction in working tax credits.

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Married full stop, one (regardless of number of children/other families) weekly payment to the main breadwinner/household, until deadline or employment.
    Agreed, with rest of your post.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Thinking about it, you might be right.

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Apparently we do according to the agencies.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Therein lies the problem. Low pay versus benefits.

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Lanokia, who will be paying your pension and other benefits when you retire? Todays children would be my answer.

FolkFan likes this.
  17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

If you live in an expensive area, move with state help.
    What if's are excluded, I am proposing a one payment system depending on whether married or single.

18. grumpydogwoman

You make it sound so simple!

My wife's friend was on long-term sick and, when she had to come off benefits, we were very pleased to see her start work. About time too! Independence at last!

But she's not the sharpest so she has a minimum-wage job. She does all the hours she can and is now exhausted. Her daughter moved out of the tiny 2-bedroomed house so a lodger was got. He didn't pay and then bugg er ed off. Now she's succumbed to an infection that just won't shift and genuinely can't work. She's got mild learning difficulties and is a sucker for any credit card that the many lenders have thrown at her so has incurred debts. She NEEDS looking after. We do our best from a distance.

But some people need that safety-net. We used to think she was milking the system a bit but we were wrong. She didn't ask to be (excuse my French) a bit dim. She works very hard but it'll never be enough and she's making herself ill. Just another reason why I loathe Cameron and company.

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

In her case the assessment was/could be faulty. I believe the welfare systems to support those in genuine need should be maintained, it is the actual maintenance/implementation which has allowed it to fall into the chaos we see today.

20. grumpydogwoman

She didn't even wait to be assessed. She was frightened. Everyone was saying she'd have to get a job (including us) so she did.

Nobody from Capita or G4S or Serco (or whoever is paid to get people off to work) would look at her and think she was vulnerable. But she is. They don't get these contracts from the government to keep people on benefits. We know, do we not, that even people at death's door have been told to stop swinging the lead.

lexus300 and monicabilongame like this.