1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So many teachers in for so little pupils!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by eckford91, Mar 26, 2020.

1. eckford91

eckford91 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I’m feeling a little wound up today and I think I’m getting worse the more people I speak to feel free to tell me I’m overreacting.

I’m a temp at my school but I’ve been there for over two years on and off (I tend to cover maternities). This means I feel like I shouldn’t say anything...

At my school we currently have 4-12 children coming in daily.

Ready for this... we have 6 teachers, 4 teaching assistants (one who is first aid trained) and a member of SLT.

Does anyone else agree that this is too many and not necessary?

Other schools I’ve spoken to have one SLT, one teacher and one TA!

Are my school being sensible or stupid? Should I say anything? I think as a temp (off in September) they could just end my contract early for being annoying haha.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

2. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Rather excessive in my opinion. It should be skeleton staff only.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have one teacher, one TA and a 1;1 if required depending on the nature of the children in school-for roughly 6-10 children. Either the teacher or TA is first aid trained, SLT take their turns on the rota along with any other teacher not self isolating/vulnerable. a lunchtime supervisor pops in at lunch time to help out and give the teachers a break.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The decision may well change with experience - maybe next week will see an increase in demand (or a decrease). Worth a discussion depending on what you are all doing - are some people looking after the pupils and others doing other work?

5. eckford91

eckford91 New commenter

Half the teachers have the kids in the morning and then they swap in the afternoon.
    The teachers not in class are elsewhere planning. I think this could be done via Skype at home saving staff being in.

LoopyLew and agathamorse like this.
  6. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

Seems typically over the top to me.

7. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

You are as entitled to say something as anyone else. This is a situation where everyone is on a steep learning curve: be honest and open with the school about your concerns.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Most schools would have just the head and deputy.

tall tales likes this.
  9. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

Someone's not thought that through.

Sally006 and tall tales like this.
  10. eckford91

eckford91 New commenter

I know I feel like they’re proactively trying to spread the virus .

I text the Headteacher and my previous Head voicing my concerns and got told change will happen today / tomorrow timetable wise. So we shall see! I also got told we do need additional staff due to vulnerable pupils.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Melj16

Melj16 New commenter

In my school......1 teacher.....1 TA......no lunchtime staff.....upto 10 kids. I don't understand why so many staff are being made to go in for so few children!

strawbs and agathamorse like this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

1 teacher, 1TA, 1 office staff, 1 site staff, 1 SLT in today, 1 midday assistant
    6 children.

Teacher busy with virtual meetings and phone calls this morning
    SLT busy with virtual meetings all day
    TA sent home at lunchtime, midday assistant sent home early and teacher with children all afternoon.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. christubbs

christubbs New commenter

contact your union, or get somebody else to do so!

14. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I suppose it's very difficult to plan staffing as you won't know from day-to-day which teachers might be ill tomorrow? Also you won't know for sure which students will be in, I expect? Asparents might change their minds/some key workers are p/t and presumably won't send them in every day/some parents might just decide not to bother some days (thinking of experiences with holiday clubs, clearly yours is a million times more of a serious issue, but the point I'm making is that parents don't necessarily stick to what they've said/let you know).
    Generally hts will know how many children are due in, how many days, how many classes etc (and will only have to adjust for sudden sickness/a few children out of a thousand joining or leaving at short-notice etc).

agathamorse likes this.
  15. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

We’re using a rota system. One SLT, one teacher and one TA (one member of staff on standby in case something crops up); student numbers have been in single figures all week. There has been one member of canteen staff this week, but there won’t be any from next week.

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

See new legislation for employers in public service on the .gov site.
    Ask if you ought to be furloughed.
    Clearly you are surplus to requirements.
    Clearly you would not need to go in.
    And clearly there would be decent compensation.

Note the difference between asking to be furloughed (which can be viewed as costing the government money) and asking if they think you ought to be furloughed (which can be viewed as saving the school money) even though the process is the same, the ethics are not.

bajan likes this.
  17. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice New commenter

I think there has to be a careful balance between minimising the risk of infection and ensuring that the learning experience of the children who are present is meaningful and safe.

Clearly you don't need the entire staff in if there are only six children, but equally there us a certain minimum number that will be required in terms of health and safety and safeguarding. I'm sure some staff will appreciate the opportunity to get out of the house for a while as well.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Seems excessive to me!

agathamorse likes this.
  19. crikcrok

crikcrok New commenter

It is the same at my school, if not worse.
    8 to 13 kids in and the entire staff in on Monday, including a temporary TA from an agency. Plus 2 lunchtime staff! Then from Tuesday a rota of the entire staff on reduced hours of about 60% (excluding those who are SI or have underlying health issues).

In addition we were given reports to start and online courses to access remotely.

I did say something to the head about operating a skeleton staff when the topic came up with SLT. They can always ask us to come in if s/o rings in sick.

So far nothing has changed...but I'm hoping. We are not all essential to run the school and should be working from home as per instructions.

Interested to hear how it things will change next week. Keep in touch.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

We're all working from home apart from our stint on the rota. 1 SMT, 1 teacher, 1 admin staff, 1 site staff, 1 TA.

install likes this.