1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So many scams

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Aug 11, 2020.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Don't know about anyone else but I seem to be getting attempts to scam me every day now.

Today - automated call seeking £200
    Yesterday - dodgy email stopped by antivirus
    Day before - call about my Microsoft Office product. Considering it is a new laptop and I hadn't bought Office yet... That was special.

And on and on... Too much time on their hands

Nanny Ogg, ACOYEAR8 and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I had one yesterday about my computer being infected with some virus.

I don't actually have a computer any more - just a laptop.

....and lots of Amazon Prime scams (I don't have Amazon prime)

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I've had several Amazon Prime calls recently, but they have tailed off. Otherwise, not much in the last few months. I've clearly been lucky.

caress likes this.
  4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Something to do with tax yesterday. I hung up before the automated call finished.

5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I don’t even keep a landline handset plugged in anymore. It was just gathering dust and the only calls we ever got on it were the scamming or selling type.

Nanny Ogg, Jolly_Roger15 and Trekkie like this.
  6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I subscribe to Amazon Prime...but I've never (yet) had an attempted scam for it via email or phone. Strange... :)

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

My current one is for a TV licence, apparently mine has expired and I need to purchase a new one, just by clicking on the link helpfully provided!

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Isn't a laptop a computer? :confused:

9. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

I had a text from O2 yesterday, stating that they’d been unable to process my payment (which I knew had already gone through), followed by a request to update my details through a link.

Most companies provide an email address or phone number to which you can forward dodgy scam requests, as I did with the O2 message.

These scammers are scum.

Nanny Ogg, jellycowfish and LiamD like this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

My experience is the same. We do have Prime (and between the whole family we get our money's worth from it!) but I've never had one of these scam calls. I get plenty of others though, mostly silent.

Marshall likes this.
  11. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Same here a few days ago but from ee.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  12. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I had a text about Netflix the other day. Although I have a Netflix account, it was sent out purely at random apparently.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think they just throw out Prime or Visa scams until they bait someone.

14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I've had 3 amazon prime calls today - really getting lots at the moment (I don't have prime). Have also had scam emails from 'TV licensing authority' and amazon. Definitely more than usual.

15. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Marshall, jellycowfish and phlogiston like this.
  16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I got one from a guy telling me a withdrawal had been made by my firm and he had just found out,,,, yeah only a first name and in the states lol

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I don't think it's targeted.
    In fact,people who do have Prime are less likely to fall for the scam as we know that they don't contact you by phone and the sum mentioned is not correct. People who don't subscribe to it will think someone has taken a subscription with their details and will press 1 to try to sort it out.

Marshall likes this.
  18. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I've had three scam calls so far about my Internet being cut off due to illegal use. The first was a few weeks ago and there were two today. They all came through on a works' mobile, the network provider of which is unconnected to the Internet provider and the numbers have restricted circulation to company staff. My first thought was "How did they get my number?" The second was that I'd noticed the number calling wasn't from the UK, so I was immediately on alert to it being a scam call.

Being aware that a large number of scam calls are targeted at the elderly, I suspect that at some point in time, the organisation's intranet was hacked and any numbers found on it were harvested in the hope they might belong to elderly people, so I hung on the line to see what happened. I was redirected to a call centre where a really pushy foreign guy attempted to blind me with science and urged me that it was very important to stay on the line and follow his instructions. I politely told him I thought he was lying and that made him even more pushy so I cut him off. The two call I got today didn't get past the initial part.

The thing I continually stress to my residents, is that scams rely on their participation. They rely on the person being called to take an action they weren't expecting. Any bank, business or organisation you legitimately owe money to will do so in writing and in the case of debts, do so via snail mail, because the paper trail is required if the matter goes to court. They default to snail mail because not everyone has email and it isn't uncommom for people to change their Internet provider and a court would require evidence that a demand once served, was received.

There is never the urgency to act immediately in anything that comes in the mail. They always say you must pay or make contact within so many days, usually 14.

Scams could be eliminated overnight if we had a government run education programme to explain this basic stuff, but can you see our current government protecting its citizens in this way? Of course you bleedin' can't. Scams are how they got elected and I wouldn't be the least surprised to learn how much they admire other scammers and study their methods to how their techniques might benefit them.

19. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

After a period with almost no spam e-mails, I seem to be getting rather more unsolicited e-mail from "businesses" with whom I have no trading record.

20. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I got this email in the early hours of this morning, entitled 'Critical Security Alert'

Google <no-reply@accounts.google.com>
    04:15 (19 hours ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to me
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sign-in attempt was blocked
    [​IMG] Check activity
    You received this email to let you know about important changes to your Google Account and services.
    © 2020 Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA