1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So long

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by february31st, Apr 27, 2020.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

and thanks for all the fish.

Now the *** is censored its time to head for the exit.

2. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

This has been going on a while?

3. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

What's censored? The site that reviews international schools? Or something else?

4. sicalifornia

sicalifornia New commenter

***?

EDIT: I S R? Pathetic o_O

5. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

I may be wrong, but TES might have had some new moderators recently. There has been some heavy handed censorship recently, and the thankfully few posters who constantly attack posters rather than debate the discussion, trying to swerve the debate into anywhere except the topic, are being allowed to continue to disrupt posts.

It's been happening for the last month or two.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

No idea what that refers to. Can you clarify?

7. sicalifornia

sicalifornia New commenter

8. Rott Weiler

9. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Well, we might get some balanced views on Kuwait - something you wouldn’t get on the censored site! Or from the OP!

10. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

11. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

12. norwichred

Interesting - the email I got had your post being rather more.....nuanced Percy.

I think the OP either wants us to all go “Oh no! Please don’t leave oh font of knowledge, reason and balance!” And the TES moderators to go “Oh no! We’re losing February 31st! Quick! High level editorial meeting immediately! We must change our policies!”

Only time will tell if either will happen.

percy topliss likes this.
  13. Rott Weiler

Ah I see, it's the letters I.S.R. being asterisked out rather than TES censoring mention of the site.

The asterisking out (as opposed to moderation/deletion of posts) is from a list that's part of the forum software I believe and happens automatically rather than done by TES mods in the UK. A lot of the words being US usages I don't think it's compiled by TES in the UK. (Just my observation over the years, no actual knowledge of where it comes from)

So it could be that the software doesn't like the I+S+R initials for some other usage of them, not International Schools Review. The US use of it for 'In School Relationship' possibly? Seems more likely than TES preventing reference to International Schools Review (why would they object to I S R?).

'International Schools Review' isn't asterisked out nor are links to its website blocked by TES so they aren't preventing access to the site.

So maybe it's safe for OP to come back after all?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  14. norwichred

That’s really strange. The email I got again made the post rather different - in this case a rather unpleasant description of me as the rear end of a human being......

Either the forum software is glitching or something else weird is going on!

15. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

I'll miss Feb31st's incoherent, rambling rants about the EU and the extensive use of hymnals (and poetry) as rebuttals to economic realities. It's always nice to have a slice of Middle England all the way from China ;)

nollaig and dumbbells66 like this.
  16. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

And the creative spelling. I know I'm not supposed to comment on that...

englishtt06 likes this.
  17. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Don't forget his over positivity about the iPGCE.... that will be missed :)

englishtt06 likes this.
  18. norwichred

I’m not ENTIRELY sure he’s getting the reaction he was hoping for here......

19. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

To be fair, Feb31 did come out with some useful points about living in China, Shanghai in particular. The tarring of all international schools which are linked to a UK public school with the same brush grated though - yes, some are definitely like Feb31 describes, but lots aren't.

20. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Stay safe febster!