1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So just which authorities pay "hourly rate"?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by heartfelt, Apr 21, 2007.

1. The matter keeps coming up, maybe it would be interesting to know, whilst all LAs should be paying to "national scale", some pay to the "hourly rate scale", others to a "day rate" scale, and the difference is about 16% in the pay packet.

At M6, 28707 annual pay, day rate, earning 195 days would get 28707, hourly rate at 5.5 hours would get 24113 for the same work, a loss of 4593 on a theoretical whole year's day-to-day supply employment. At a 80% level of employment, the loss of earnings would be 3674 in a year.

Maybe this might effect relocation choices.

Much of the SW is/was hourly rate, I think these authorities still pay "hourly rate",(whilst some rare schools within may individually pay day rate):

Gloucestershire
    Wiltshire
    Swindon
    Somerset

Can the country be supply pay-mapped?

2. The matter keeps coming up, maybe it would be interesting to know, whilst all LAs should be paying to "national scale", some pay to the "hourly rate scale", others to a "day rate" scale, and the difference is about 16% in the pay packet.

At M6, 28707 annual pay, day rate, earning 195 days would get 28707, hourly rate at 5.5 hours would get 24113 for the same work, a loss of 4593 on a theoretical whole year's day-to-day supply employment. At a 80% level of employment, the loss of earnings would be 3674 in a year.

Maybe this might effect relocation choices.

Much of the SW is/was hourly rate, I think these authorities still pay "hourly rate",(whilst some rare schools within may individually pay day rate):

Gloucestershire
    Wiltshire
    Swindon
    Somerset

Can the country be supply pay-mapped?

3. I'm doing supply at the mo through Halton and they pay hourly.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Senior commenter

ESCC and B&H pay daily rate, but treat a day as 5 teaching hours so divide daily rate by 5 giving a good hourly rate.

5. I think several or even all authorities which pay "day rate" specify a minimum of 5 hours work in the day to qualify for "a day", (which corresponds to about 6.5 hours of "hourly rate" on the national hours scale used by "hourly rate" authorities). I think the pay is just determined as 1/195 of your scale point, so if you worked the minimum of 5 hours, it might be calculated that you got more per hour than if you had put in 6.5 hours for the same pay.

So far, the alpabetical list of hourly rate authorities is:

Gloucestershire
    Halton
    Somerset
    Swindon
    Wiltshire.

6. Here in the North West, two LAs who both pay hourly are Oldham and Rochdale.
    My problem is I am paid a different hourly rate by both of the above, presumably using the same MP scale,
    Are LAs allowed to set their own rates ?

7. Here in the North West Oldham and Rochdale pay the hourly rate. My problem is I am paid a different hourly rate by each. Are LAs allowed to set their own rates?

8. The hourly rate in Gloucestershire, (and I assume other stingy counties,) is calculated by annual salary divided by 1265 teaching hours. The 1265 hours is the assumed hours that full time teaching staff work and is based on 6.5 hours a day, to include directed time.
    Obviously the teaching day in Primary varies from 5hours exactly, to 5hrs 35 mins, depending on the school.
    Yes, we're considerably worse off, even if we work every available day. I've done the calculations and it's scary!
    Shouldn't this be illegal anyhow as it discriminates against part-time workers?

9. The updated list is:

Gloucestershire
    Halton
    Oldam
    Rochdale
    Somerset
    Swindon
    Wiltshire

What about Devon, Cornwall? Is this a complete list?

I think Hertfordshire pay a better hourly rate. I'm not sure how they do this, maybe a pro-rata hourly payment based on the "five hour day". Some authorities have allowances built in.

10. From a variety of LA websites:

From http://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/learning/learn-schools...
    Your salary will be assessed in accordance with the provisions of the current Teacher Pay and Conditions Document, and the rate you will be paid will depend on your qualifications and the amount of teaching experience you have.
    The hourly rate is based on 1,265 hours of directed time available in the school year and gives you an enhanced rate to include holiday pay.
    Working time is as directed by the Headteacher of the school, but is generally 6 ½ hours per full day.

From http://www.bedfordshire.gov.uk/EducationAndLearning/Teach...
    HEART Supply Agency for teachers

Hourly rate dependent upon qualifications and teaching experience (as per the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document)

Are you a Supply Teacher looking for work? Are you currently employed on a full or part-time contract which is due to end?

HEART Education Supply Agency works in partnership with Bedfordshire Local Education Authority and commenced operation on 1 July 2002.
    Supply Teachers are invited to register with HEART. Your availability details will be entered into a database and schools will be able to contact HEART to book their Supply Teachers.

From http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/infopoint/school_bullet...

Traditionally, payment for claims based work for supply teachers working in Bucks, has been based on 1/195 for a full days work, in accordance with the pay and conditions document. However, for supply teachers working a part day, the payment has been based on a notional 5-hour day, 1/975th of the annual rate (i.e. 5 hours x 195 days). In order to comply with teachers? pay and conditions legislation and provide clarity for all, the SAP system will be re-configured to reflect an hourly rate based on 1265 not 975 as previously. This is effective for Supply claims from 1st March.
    http://www.slough.gov.uk/documents/Schools_Teacher_Pay_Gr...

HOURLY RATES FOR QUALIFIED SUPPLY TEACHERS - 1 SEPTEMBER 2006
    MAIN SCALE L/W - NOW INCLUDED IN SALARY
    POINT Salary Hourly Rate
    1 20,586 16.2735
    2 22,137 17.4996
    3 23,841 18.8466
    4 25,608 20.2435
    5 27,549 21.7779
    6 29,649 23.4379
    UPPER SCALE Hourly Rate
    1 32,043 25.3304
    2 33,195 26.2411
    3 34,389 27.1850
    SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL NEEDS ALLOWANCES Hourly Rate
    1ST 1818 1.4372
    2ND 3597 2.8435

http://eduwight.iow.gov.uk/the_lea/personnel/images/suppl...

Claim Forms to be processed at normal supply rate:
    Supply teachers are normally paid on an hourly basis. The number of hours (not days)
    worked must be entered, including preparation time, and totalled. It was agreed
    locally in 1988 that a supply teacher may claim up to 10 minutes at the
    commencement and 10 minutes at the end of the time worked.
    A supply teacher cannot be paid more than 6½ hours per day at the normal supply
    rate as this equates to the full-time rate.
    Claim Forms to be processed at the higher supply rate:
    Recommended practise is that supply teachers employed on a long-term basis (i.e.
    working continuously for 2 weeks or more covering for the same person) be paid at
    the ?higher? supply rate. If the headteacher decides that a supply teacher is to be paid
    at the higher rate the following rules apply:
    i) For a supply teacher working full days the appropriate ?days? column must be
    completed and totalled.
    ii) For a supply teacher working less than full days the number of hours/minutes
    worked must be entered and totalled. No preparation time should not be
    included as this is reflected in the rate of pay.
    A supply teacher cannot be paid more than 5 hours per day on the higher hourly rate
    as this equates to the full-time rate.
    In both cases the column ?Higher rate? must be initialled by the Headteacher or
    Authorised person. If ?higher rate? is not initialled the person will be paid 5
    hours only at the normal rate.
    Claim Forms to be processed for part-time teachers:
    Part-time teachers working additional hours at their normal place of work will be paid
    at the higher rate. The number of additional hours/minutes or days, whichever is
    appropriate, must be entered and totalled. No preparation time should be added on
    the claim form as this is reflected in the rate of pay.

11. Gloucestershire are 5 1/4 hrs.

12. I have earned a range of hours within Glos, from 5.25 to 6.5, mostly 5.5, but last year a few schools gave me 5.33, five hours 20 minutes.

I worked for two Glos schools which paid 6.5 hours if you marked, 5.5 hours if you left at 3:30.

2006-2007 I rarely worked in Glos., preferring the 6.5 hours offered by some neighbouring LAs.

13. Technically the authority does not take responsibility for its schools paying hourly rate. But somehow in various authorities, most schools have been influenced to adopt this method of calculating pay.

The authority's view is that it is a matter between the school and the supply teacher, and legal because the supply teacher signs the timesheet, indicating acceptance.

THe hours generally indicate time spent working with pupils, and may give no time for preparing or marking.

14. Lincolnshire pay an hourly rate. North Lincolnshire use Reed Agency, they pay 3 hours for a morning, two for an afternoon and have a £100 per day rate with some schools, meaning M6 teachers get little work! Unions don't seem interested in supply isssues.

15. specialsupply

specialsupply New commenter

In the North West, St Helens pay by the hour - so most supply teachers work through agencies.

16. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Lancashire pay the full daily rate for a supply day. They regard a day as 5 hours, so the hourly rate when you do a morning or afternoon session only is very good. If you are directed to work at a school for longer that 5 hours, the pay does not increase as you are already getting the full rate that supply teachers in some other counties only get if they actually work 6.5 hours.

If you get 195 days of work in Lancashire, via the LEA, you earn the same as a contracted teacher on the same pay point.

I have heard the argument that we shouldn't get the same money as we don't always have the same planning/ assessment workload and don't have to attend meetings. I point out that we are the cavalry and have to put up with the extreme behaviours that even the 'nice' kids feel empowered to mete out to temporary staff. Most contract teachers pale at the thought of being on supply.

We also tend to clock up above average mileage.

17. I think most "day rate" authorities use 5 hours pupil contact as the minimum length of day, which is then paid 1/195 annual salary or 6.48 hours.

There seems to be quite a lot of authorities paying whole days by "hourly rate", despite the Cheshire case, which doesn't seemed to have changed practice outside of Cheshire. ??

18. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

For all those who have been short-changed by the hourly rate, I suggest holding onto your payslips and/or diaries so that you have precise details in the event of the previously mentioned Cheshire test case resulting in the chance for claiming the missing money. Contact your unions as well for advice on whether you or they can pursue the matter.

19. In 2006 (long time ago) I wanted to work in Cheshire and got told by the county that they use the Cheshire Supply Agency. They told me at my induction meeting that they pay for the hours worked with a full day around 6.4ish hours. (which the schools will make sure you work. However, I never actually found out the exact pay as they never gave me any work.

I have worked for the Wirral through Hays Education (the county's supply agency) and they pay daily with a 50/50 split for am / pm.

I have also worked for Wrexham for 2 days and they paid me a daily rate.

Plus in Flintshire they pay a daily rate with a 55/45 split for am/pm.

All daily rates that I have been paid have been worked out on 1/195th of the teachers pay on the main payscale.

Plus, I have also worked for Teaching Personnel who actually paid me daily 50/50 spilt am/pm with a larger daily rate that anywhere else as they wanted me to work for them and not the county. (they wanted the schools on their books!!)

20. If the last post refers to private agencies, and getting paid to scale no matter the scale point, then I thinks that better than the usual agency pay, which often gets comparitively poorer near M6.