1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So it's back on the treadmill tomorrow

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by lindenlea, Jan 3, 2016.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Back to Book Group tomorrow and Yoga on Tuesday and Thursday. Choir even starts tomorrow - they could have given us an extra week off! Husband will be plodding round the golf course, getting home at goodness knows what time.I just don't know where the holiday has gone to - one day it's Christmas Eve and then what d'you know - it's back to retirement again.

Happy New Year everyone - especially all of you who have already retired - have a great 2016!

2. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

:)
    Yep, enjoy your freedom. Am thinking of colleagues, planning away this evening, making their sandwiches, preparing to go into battle once more, thinking 'Oh f***, I've got Courtney and Chantelle periods 1 and 2 followed by Leroy, Callum and Chelsea period 3'. I finished last month and am taking a long deserved break in the sun until the second part of January then have a nice little supply number to take me up to Easter, then finished completely until September, if I'm in the mood.

I like not being a donkey anymore.

Ee-aw, ee-aw.

FrankWolley and ScotSEN like this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Mmm ....... I am planning when to join you.......

ScotSEN likes this.
  4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I have often thought which term is the worst one to go back to work and it has to be this one. Cold, wet, Y11 mocks looming, more assessments, book trawls, parents evening starting a pace and even more marking.
    Off up to Heathrow tomorrow so retirement has its upside.

ScotSEN likes this.
  5. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

My planning just now is what to do when I go down under next month!

FrankWolley likes this.
  6. ada_nuff

ada_nuff New commenter

Oooh, exciting, Scottie - where are you going?

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

My current planning is where to go on holiday. But there is just soooo much choice, :) (now I'm now constrained by school holidays or being too exhausted to be bothered), I can't make a decision:(

ScotSEN likes this.
  8. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

New Zealand via Bangkok, Sydney and home via Dubai.

9. ada_nuff

ada_nuff New commenter

I'll p.m. you my phone no., Scottie - if you're in the Bay of Islands area (and you'd be mad to come to Aotearoa and not see the BOI), give me a bell - NZ bottled sunshine permanently chilled and/or kettle on!

10. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

Thanks for the New Year wishes, @lindenlea! It is rather hectic, isn't it? I went to yoga Monday night (also did 30 pull-ups and dips on the Gravitron - someday I'd like to be able to pull up my entire weight, not just 40 pounds of it), 30 sort-of push-ups and some foam roller work to get the kinks out. I am still sore. Today's goal is to do the exercises my athletic therapist assigned in October. I did them faithfully for 2 weeks and then slacked off. Yoga and pool running in the morning tomorrow and a sedate run on the roads behind the speedy Thursday night women runners.

11. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Hi ada-nuff thats kind of you. We haven't got definite plans for New Zealand. We will be in New Zealand for three weeks. 2 on South Island and 1 week (mid March) on the North Island. We want to have a degree of flexibiltiy so we can stop in places we like. We hope to meet up with a friend who is currently in Australia - he's doing a much longer trip than us. The Bay of Islands sound lovely.

12. tudor02

tudor02 New commenter

Just gone to a three day week from a four day one which I started in September. Taken
    75% of pension and lump sum and already completed one cruise with another booked for Easter. Today, Thursday, was great - ever so busy but doing what I wanted and at my pace. Tomorrow is another busy day but not a child in sight!

Seriously, if you can do it take the time to check your retirement plans and financing. You will not regret it. I am lucky however in that my shool has allowed me to go part time and continue to employ me and to be honest I do enjoy the work and when it is only 3 days a week I cannot complain. I also have discovered that I am now better paid than when I was full time!!! Work that one out! I took a small hit with ARB but phased retirement is certainly working for me.