1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So it turns out I'm ****

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Mrsmumbles, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

At the risk of over sharing, I just wondered if there are any mid forties teachers out there who have done a long stint in one job, then left, shall we say, rather quickly, and then are finding it very hard indeed to get a job? In fact, just feeling very depressed as as if they have gate crashed their own career? It must be my teaching that is stopping me secure posts, but how am I supposed to update it in time? The whole culture and expectations of education has altered entirely. It's as if I speak French and everyone else speaks Swahili with a special local accent. I keep getting shortlisted for top schools, then bombing. Recently, a good post at an Academy. The Academy feedback was very helpful...apparently I didn't ensure that I invoked all the kids in my opening section of a twenty minute lesson. Yes, twenty. I had decided not to do much of a starter so I could power on to the main bit. I did an inventive differentiated task which came straight out of one of those good new books on talkless teaching...that they liked. But eveything I did, they disliked. Other fail lessons include providing too much material for the kids to get through. Oh dear! Time was, you went in, delivered, yes, did talk a lot, gave the kids tasks as well, but led from the front. It just doesn't seem like this any more.
    I cannot tell you how demoralising it is. A dentist can move to another dentistry job fairly easily. They are not grilled and asked frankly stupid domdom questions like 'what book would you like to take to your desert island', and 'now tell me about your worst lesson.' I am fast losing respect for the profession because all my experience is being discounted...a bit like the trend for younger cheaper staff. Plus I am really rubbish at executive summaries. I do them ok, and am getting shortlisted, but have discovered, to my cost, that ONE stupid error ensures the rejection of the entire application, which, let's be honest, I have had to squeeze in between work and a pig of a commute. I know I should check every syllable, but I am frankly not used to such big and self promoting documents, I am applying for lots of jobs, and it is so easy to miss a reference to a school from your last application. Agh! This is why, I feel, the older system of a covering letter was better. Less bull, less risk of glaring errors! Things have hit rock bottom today when I was told mid morning that I needn't stay as I'd been sifted out. Just feel that I am being fired out of my own profession by those 'in the know' who know all the new dance steps whereas I still have the old moves, am developing arthritis, and cannot afford a new teacher. Schools seem ageist and intolerant places now. I didn't get asked to stay at my current temp contract post, which went to an Oxbridge 'ever so exceptional' external. Turns out there was an executive summary stuff up there too, which infuriated my current employers. Who I have to work with till July, knowing that they have essentially rejected me. This is threatening to trigger my reactive depression. It has now started to grind me down. I just do not understand why I am suddenly seen as so poor when I held down a full time career and enjoyed it for years. I suppose that by their standards, I am ****. Which makes me feel really, really ****.

TEA2111 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

Or possibly

[​IMG]

or possibly both . . .

I'm sorry that you have had such a disappointment.

3. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

I wish I had some answers for you :(

((((((Mrsmumbles))))))

Lara mfl 05 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  4. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Oh. You are NOT **t, you are mature, experienced, and by definition, expensive. There are lots of us out here. I am currently refusing to ever go back into a classroom, but if you read the papers, there is a massive shortage of teachers, because teaching is seen as a job that is unappealing, and in addition to this, the retention of staff in state education is lamentable. Wilshaw, bless him, after recently opening his ignorant mouth, was recently wondering why there is a brain drain of teacher's overseas (I posted recently on this).

I think we all know what the problem is, and its about time he came up with a solution.
    It is nothing to do with your plenary, starter, green/red/ flaming pink marking. It's nothing to do with whether you have provided too many / not enough worksheets in rainbow hues. It is, however, EVERYTHING to do with the fact that they will have to pay you what you are worth and they won't do that if they have a young, inexperienced and CHEAP teacher willing to promise them the moon if they get the job.
    Remember this however, MsMumbles...If you pay peanuts, we all know what you get.
    Keep your head up, and your heart strong. :)

5. Am_done

Am_done New commenter

I echo the sympathy! I also understand your concerns about your career. I left at Christmas. UPS 3, 40+......Exam class results were poor - I had predicted this, done everything possibl, was told/reassured I'd done everything possible and really well. Come September...."support package". You can guess the rest. I recently applied for a non-teaching pastoral role. I don't want to subject myself to the hoops @Mrsmumbles mentions to get back into the situation where I'm jumping through ever moving, ever changing hoops. I don't want to be a teacher at the moment. Maybe never. I didn't even get an interview for this role as I'm "over qualified"!!

6. pinkmarshmallow2

pinkmarshmallow2 New commenter

MsMumbles
    Your story could be mine! Just over 12 months ago I was in exactly the situation you describe, I was 'lucky' enough to move to a new post, albeit nowhere near as good or well paid. A year later I am job hunting again, not for quite the same reasons as last time but just to try and get back to something like I once had. Despite numerous applications I have had no success, not even an interview - so you have got further than me. I am beginning to think I might be unemployed come the end of this year, and that isn't a situation I want to ponder on. I guess we just need to pick ourselves up again and move on - but its tough, I know. Keep going :)

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They don't HAVE standards. They have budgets and buzz-words.

Too much material? That's a GOOD thing!!!!

I retired in 2013. I wouldn't even know an executive summary if it hit me on the head!

Have kids really changed so much in 3 years? No. It's the other ballcox that has proliferated.

It's not you. It's the lunatics running the asylum.

8. Mrsmumbles

bunny1.jpg bunny1.jpg

ValentinoRossi and sabrinakat like this.
  9. Mrsmumbles

bunnylots.jpg or probably, the way things are going at the moment:

10. Mrsmumbles

Thank you Theo! Very nice of you...still have no idea what to do with myself. Should I do one of those weird education MA degrees? would that help or depress further?!

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Do a degree if you want to do a degree, I'd say.

If you want to teach or work with young people? Then don't do the degree.

wanet and Mrsmumbles like this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

indeed ...i asked if the school would keep my application details for supply - the men from Del Monte, they say YES! so...hmm...good enough to work there, but not permanently and expensively? What got me crying, today, was how nice or just predictably naughty the kids were. But how thin. How cowed and terrified of breaking rules. How dependent upon food before and after school. I really could have made the difference to some of those kids. Now I can't. The place was like a prison - just a big, scary, underfunded ex comprehensive. I now realise what the two tier UK education system, and it is very, very depressing. This place had no drive, no fun, no lightness about it. But certainly not the worst place I have visited. Just think that chucking candidates out mid morning is simultaneously honest and brutal. At ten am I was shaking hands with the students who had shown me around, by 10 15 I was out on the street. Seems wrong.

ValentinoRossi and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Want to work with the younguns but feel that without poncy MA thing wont ever make it to HOD now. Education has changed so much I really have now lost my nerve and don't know what I'm doing in a school context. One to one tutoring is fine. But the schools are all now so different, all different poncy ethoses and values...it is exhausting, frankly, and ultimately boring.

katykook and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

God it s bloody ridiculous isn't it? We are good, we've got the old 'actually meant something and included pedagogy' PGCEs, yet are judged by values and managements we didn't vote for. There is no other profession like it. And the executive summary is a double edged sword!

Am_done and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. Mrsmumbles

I've started to set up my own business now. Stuff em. Would rather be my own boss than another manager's gimp. I want to cooperate, I want to be part of a team, but I am seen as a pariah.

joannagb likes this.
  16. Mrsmumbles

17. Mrsmumbles

Kid you not. My current lot hoover it up within ten, then rush off to meetings. They must be trying not to throw up! If thy are that ambitious, busy, and determinedly anti-social, they should bring a sandwich. Bah. Maybe they are all robots and do not require sustenance. Govebots. Morganoids.

Dragonlady30 and ValentinoRossi like this.
  18. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's never been necessary to have any sort of MA and it doesn't get people jobs. You do one for the love of learning, that's all.

19. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sorry to hear about your tribulations Mrs M. Sometimes when interviewers are debriefing, they clutch at straws to find reasons. sometimes it's not worth beating yourself up about.
    It's odd that elsewhere on this website are posts about the shortages of teachers, yet those of us who can do it don't get a look in.
    Coincidence? I think not!

It's all very well saying chill when there are bills to be paid. Try to relax, enjoy not being part of the mayhem. I do not miss the day to day routine of my former workplace.
    P

20. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Just got to add my sympathy. (And agree with @phlogiston )

I was in your shoes a few years ago, and eventually took early retirement.

A pittance, due to gaps, PT etc.

But hey,ho! I don't think I would even want to teach now.

(Loved the cartoon)

needabreak and Mrsmumbles like this.