1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So if schools are phased back in starting June, i'm guessing we won't be furloughed?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Supplygirl111, May 10, 2020.

1. Supplygirl111

Supplygirl111 New commenter

So if Reception, Year 1, Year 6 and Year 10 are back, our furlough will end because schools are open even though there probably won't be work for us because staff who's school years aren't back can cover lessons if someone is ill,

Thoughts?

eviecat100 likes this.
  2. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

No idea. Year 10 are not going back. And that is only iinitially. Really have to wait for more details. I know it's hard but no one knows anything.

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  3. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

No one knows, least of all the government. I doubt that they'll slam the door shut on furlough payments though.

4. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

I was hoping we've have some sort of more vigorous return to activity. This is a tiny toe in the water. Supply teaching is fked because of this. The school I'm currently on furlough waiting for my 1 day a month rota day in is going to have about 25% of it's students back when the 10s go back. I imagine they will be spread around the school. I won't be needed.

I was on £130 a day before this and on a long stint. My other work is busy at the moment (subsidence consultant) but this is likely to dry up.

We are fkd if this dries up. My OH runs a business which makes jams/chutneys. It's got a couple of staff. Their orders are about 90% down.

I'd better get some boxes to put my stuff in, because the government hasn't given us a bean and we're going to hit the wall. I'll have to give the landlord my keys and go and move my family into mothers house. Good job she's got a bloody great empty house, because family and I are possibly going to move in.

Should I do that, my overheads will allow me to basically go totally on ice and be economically inactive.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

As someone who runs a small business, I should be a classical liberal/conservative.

In times of national emergency, the government should move to help people. They have absolutely failed a big section of society.

What a disgrace.

I wouldn't hold out for any help. There will be soup kitchens before our glorious leaders do something human.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Surely only those supply teachers who are working again will not stay on furlough ?

gold19951 and pepper5 like this.
  7. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

That is a good question and I wish I knew the answer, I have no doubt somebody will have the wheeze to try to stop the furlough payments.

gold19951 and pepper5 like this.
  8. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I can see we might be on part time, in and out furlough...

On the whole, though, would you invite another person onto school premises?

gingerhobo48, pepper5 and gold19951 like this.
  9. GK17

GK17 New commenter

I think there's some confusion from the public and the employers about the furlough guidance. The government have let the employers have the final say, so if they don't want to furlough someone, they literally don't have to even if they meet the criteria to be furloughed.

There is nothing stopping an employer furloughing someone "just because they are open" or any other quotes I've seen. If I run a shop that is open and usually have two employees but because of COVID19 I can only offer enough work to one of them, then I can furlough the other one.

A common sense approach to the following scenario: Employee A usually earns £500 a week, Employee B usually earns £500 a week. Due to COVID19, I only need half of my usual team of 2 or half of the workload. So I can pay them both £250 each per week to work on less hours and they both lose income, or I can agree with them that employee A continues to work and receive £500 a week and I furlough employee B who will £400 a week but doesn't have to come into work when they would rather stay at home due to concerns about being with the public.

Basically what I am trying to get at is the scheme is flexible, you can use many different variations and some employers who are refusing to furlough staff are either misguided or being difficult. Schools are a little different because of the public funding but this "our store is open so you can't be furloughed" is nonsense.

gingerhobo48, pepper5 and cathr like this.
  10. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Well...probably not. Did supply get paid on the days they didn't work before the virus?

pepper5 likes this.
  11. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

Hopefully we will continue to be treated in the same way as other agency workers, in that we won’t find ourselves on the “cliff edge” with furlough. Realistically, is there suddenly going to be a massive demand for supply teachers between now and September, and other, non education based, agency workers won’t have their furlough payments stopped because some year groups have gone back to school.

I have just read guidance for parents from my nephews’ academy (primary) for the returning year groups. The guidance says that if one student or teacher within a class of 15 presents with symptoms, the whole class (and teacher) will isolate for 14 days. That negates the need for any supply cover, and I’m sure most academies are doing the same thing.
    Touch wood we’ll be o.k. until furlough is wound down for everyone.

pepper5 and a1976 like this.
  12. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Well, the thing is, schools are going to have to reopen. Regardless of whether the virus stays, people have to get back to work, otherwise the economy will seriously tank. Those who don't work and can't work because they are stuck at home under government orders, can't eat. Being safe isn't going to put food on the table and the sooner people realise this, the better off we'll be.

gold19951 and john1207 like this.
  13. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

My agency has asked who is available for work should schools re-open. It also mentioned that if they offer work and it is declined, this may affect eligibility for furlough should schools close again. Not sure what happens if someone is unable to work due to being in a vulnerable group. Possibly no income? UC claim? I imagine if there is no work for supply teachers their furlough will continue.
    I think everything is so up in the air at the moment that it's impossible to predict what will happen.

gingerhobo48, gold19951 and pepper5 like this.
  14. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

15. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

Hi! Was wondering the same. I can't work as I have a young child to look after.

16. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

17. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

So sorry to hear this, it's ruining so many lives. Too many I know have lost jobs and don't have enough to make ends meet. It's a dire situation. X

gingerhobo48, pepper5 and gold19951 like this.
  18. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

This is very true, and of course there are plenty of us whose agencies/umbrella companies have refused furlough. I’m just thinking ahead to September regarding furlough, but you’re absolutely right; there isn’t going to be a magical solution. X

19. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

As has been said, it is up to the agency who they furlough and so I would expect threats of 'we will stop your furlough' if you refuse an offer of work. However, if it is for a day or so one week then you will still be able to get furlough payments the next week.

BUT......August 1 is more of a big day for agency workers as then Sunak has said he wants the employer to pay 25% of the furlough bill. I cannot see any agency doing this but perhaps they will allow you and I to pay it, that is we effectively see an overnight 25% cut in the furlough cheque?

I am not sure but my gut feeling is August 1 is the day it ends for agency workers.

20. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I am presuming that we are furloughed to the end of June and in theory that furlough can be cancelled by the agency, if we are needed to go in to a school. However I am interested to see were we stand in that I presume that teachers may be required to be tested on a regular basis, but do we get tested and by whom, and will schools be happy to use supply,who may have been in different schools. There is no clear picture, unless schools do what Kevin Courtney (NEU) suggested that a number of schools could band together in a hub in which supply are paid a retainer fee, for the schools in that hub, just in case we are needed to stop us working in other schools. The picture is far from clear at the moment.