1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So if one gives up one´s Royal Duties, does One also give up One´s Royal Income?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Nov 22, 2019.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just wondering.

Can´t think of any other situation where you stop doing the job and still get paid . . .

Best wishes

caress likes this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

He doesn't get paid. His income is ftem Bank of Mum and Dad. Well, maybe just Mum.

Jamvic, Kandahar and florian gassmann like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Maybe "one" can take early retirement. After all mummy is still "working".*

* For "working" read "raking it in".

Jamvic likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Apparently he won't be getting quarter of a mill (or whatever) from government for his "duties".

He'll be reliant solely on the good graces of his mum.

Impact on lifestyle expected to be......zero. I'm sure his mum won't see him go short of the odd skiing holiday here and Caribbean jaunt there. Not mummy's allegedly favourite son/child. I'm a republican and keen to see the back of the lot of 'em. But I concede that Brenda has worked hard and, as monarchs go, is far from the worst we could have been lumbered with. But you do wonder about her judgement. Randy Andy. Why favour him? Pity? Why? o_O

bonxie, Nanny Ogg, towncryer and 3 others like this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

He never did. He only ever received expenses as a trade envoy.

He has his own 7-bedroom ski lodge in Verbier for holidays, so I doubt that mumsy will need to pay for his skiing holidays.

Not solely. He has a Royal Navy pension of £20K per annum.

Kandahar likes this.
  6. Kandahar

Kandahar Established commenter

I sense a tinge of envy.

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

If hes had a high income for years don't you think he will have invested some for a 'rainy day' ... wouldn't you?

Honestly I do want to wonder how some of you lot think... Try being Atticus for a while, though admittedly his aren't shoes any decent person would want to be walking around in.

Jamvic and Kandahar like this.
  8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

At least he'll be able to get his state pension in 2026.

Jamvic likes this.
  9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Assuming he's paid enough NI contributions.

10. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

He must have somewhat of an income, said swiss chalet was bought with a mortgage of over £8m. Amazing really, when ex-wife was in debt to the tune of £5m and it's a joint mortgage.

Perhaps an extract from her tweet last week could be shared;-

It is so rare to meet people that are able to speak from their hearts with honesty+pure real truth, that remain steadfast and strong to their beliefs....I am deeply proud and supportive of this giant of a principled man.

So there you have it - we are all wrong.

caress and Jamvic like this.
  11. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

grumpydogwoman said:
    Impact on lifestyle expected to be......zero.

In what possible universe could an articulate, intelligent, resilient, compassionate, independent person like @grumpydogwoman be envious of a waste of space specimen like him.

12. Kandahar

I hadn't realised that a court of law had convicted Prince Andrew of wrong-doing.

13. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Should have added imo of course.

I don’t think a court of law has convicted Prince Andrew of wrong-doing. What’s your point?

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It makes me sad that so much has to be made of the wealth and material acumen of somebody who actually ought to be under scrutiny for integrity and moral compass instead.
    Perhaps it is easier and somehow more justifiable to express disappointment in material gain for nothing, than to dissect what is possibly a slippery snake of dubious behaviour.
    It reminds me of those threads reviling school management which descend into "they must be awful, they have a big BMW and I only have a tiny Skoda".
    Nor does it stand up to hate for receiving from your parents. My mum gave me £50 for my birthday. Does that make me nasty?
    It's a harder question to villify character, because it then becomes a question of truth and lies.
    It's not gone to court yet, but money does not need to. You just have to count it. And voila-something to hate.

needabreak and Kandahar like this.
  15. Kandahar

He is clearly not a "wastes of space specimen" unless you consider other serving servicemen from war zones in a similar way.

That compassion you so admire in Mrs Dogwoman is clearly lacking in you.

needabreak and LondonCanary like this.
  16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I think that was exactly the point being made-maybe you missed the sarcasm.
    Meaning how can you judge when a judge has not yet judged?

Kandahar likes this.
  17. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Definitely. I have zero compassion for Prince Andrew.

18. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

I’ve thought Prince Andrew was a waste of space specimen for years. Based on personal knowledge of his treatment of those who work for him over the years. Nothing to do with current events.

Nanny Ogg, caress and monicabilongame like this.
  19. Kandahar

Yet another poster whom I hope is not called for jury service.

20. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

God, me too. What a waste of a day.

TheoGriff likes this.