1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So, I have just installed W10 . . .

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Nov 5, 2015.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nothing else to say really, as it has only been live for 3 minutes.

Kindly warn me of shoals ahead if not going to be plane sailing.

;)

Thank you and best wishes

2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Just warning to people if they don't want W10 and are happy with their current version.

From early next year Microsoft will try to install W10 through the windows update regardless of your wishes. To stop this you need to set windows update so that it has to ask to install updates.

The main issue with W10 as with 8 is the issue of drivers for older equipment. Check everything works before the rollback period ends. If everything works OK then 10 is not a particular problem.

I don't use Windows myself so I am not bothered by all this.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My PC won't talk to my printer. But then neither would my Mac. But that can be a problem. Just be aware. The bits irs1054 mentioned about drivers.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Win 10 worked for all my old printers and scanners. Edge doesn't like add-ons according to McAfee which asked me if I wanted back to IE. I said yes.

5. grumpydogwoman

Yes, I had the same thing with Edge. It also doesn't like copying and pasting into TES. I get a lot of 'Inspect Element' if I want to insert an image or media. Not helpful.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You do enjoy being punished, don't you? Switch to Firefox and be done with it.

7. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

Using Edge causes my computer to freeze suddenly - same when I click on an icon on the taskbar after some hours. Weird behaviour.

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Check the internet for Win 10 and privacy issues. There is a lot of unsolicited data collection, but most can be turned off.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you for your comments, everybody.

@grumpydogwoman , I wouldn't have thought about the printing until I came to need it, so that was helpful. Printing OK, luckily.

I am using Chrome not Edge, so that may be why.

@colpee - thanks for the tip about privacy, I have been through clicking things off.

So far, it's OK . . .

We'll see how it goes on. ;)

Oh - let me try

To see if it is Edge or W10.

COPY & PASTE:

[​IMG]

Upload picture:

rocio 3.jpg

So let's see if it all posts . . .

Best wishes

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it has. Might be an idea to consider trying another browser, @grumpydogwoman , as there were no problems at all in uploading and copying all that.

Best wishes

11. grumpydogwoman

Yes, I had to go back and keep TES open in IE. Thanks @TheoGriff

It now seems an intermittent problem rather than permanent so I'm sticking with Edge for non-sensitive sites.

Welcome to W10. It's fine. (Except sometimes for auto-updates).

12. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Windows ten! :eek: That made me restore the whole laptop again. The processor just isn't made for that new stuff.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bad luck @teachingking123 !

My laptop was W8 so presumably new enough to cope with the Big Brother.

Best wishes

14. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Mine was and still is windows eight.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Was and still is. :D

16. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Windows 7 here.

Oh dear

17. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I can't understand why anyone would stay with Explorer and it's offspring Edge as a browser. There was a time (around Explorer 3) when it made sense but that time is long gone.

Chrome is probably about the simplest in terms of trouble free browsing, though if you are concerned about privacy, then look carefully at reviews etc. It's not that Chrome is particularly problematic it is simply that you need to know what it does do. I use Chrome most.

A close second is Firefox which I use because it has extensions to get around geographical blocking. Opera used to be good and I used that a lot but it hasn't kept pace and I have found too many websites either don't render properly (not necessarily Opera's fault) or complain that I don't have an up to date browser.

18. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter