1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So, I got my freesat thingummy yesterday...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It is an 'upgrade' to my Freeview TV.
    After installing it, the installer informed me that I now have access to over 100 free channels (half of which seem to be '+1' channels so not really 'new' channels)
    So - what fantastic viewing did I treat myself to this afternoon? ...The repeat of X-Factor on ITV!
    Over 100 channels and this is the best I could find!

(I admit I enjoyed some CBS Action channel yesterday...and some of the God channel this morning...)

2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

And that's the norm I'm afraid. I suppose it wouldn't sell so well if they explained that you can get over a 100 new channels but most are sh!te and won't attract even the most bored. Happy repeats.

3. In 1990, I worked in California for a summer. I was amazed by the number of channels available. It was constant repeats and the same shows on every night. FreeSat is exactly the same. I can predict what is on each channel every night. I do like NCIS but everynight? X-factor seems to be on regularly. Come Dine with me is a regular. How clean is your house?
    Most stuff on Freeview and Freesat is repeats. But it's free.

4. Sky is worse as you pay for that and still only get rubbish TV. I only watch around 7 channels and 5 of them are terrestrial anyway. If it was free, I wouldn't mind the rubbish because I would know I'm not paying for it. Not that I pay for it now-it's in my mum's house but I don't think I'll get it when I move into my own place.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

When my setpal box stopped working, I found that I was happier with just five channels. Too much choice plays havoc with the concentration. Channel-hopping can become compulsive.