1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So, I am about to teach my own daughter

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ian60, Aug 17, 2015.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I don't have a probem with this, and she assures me that it is no biggie for her. We get on very well.

I just wanted to hear any stories of teachers who have been in similar positions.

She is 14,

2. Fully home-schooled?

3. tidal

tidal New commenter

Should be interesting

I can't speak from having been in that position as a teacher but I can from being in that position as a student.(My mum was my teacher briefly)

She (rather foolishly) expected me to behave better than my fellow pupils and treated me accordingly.
    I, on the other hand, felt I had to prove to my peers that I wasn't "teacher's favourite"

It was quite "exciting" for a couple of weeks until we both saw sense [​IMG]

4. Oh! I see. I'm being premoderated so the posts will no doubt appear at random times.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I was taught by my mother for a time while at primary school. Never heard the end of it from my classmates when I absentmindedly called her 'Mum' instead of 'Mrs Xxxx' in class.

Other than that, I agree with Tidal's point above.

6. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Thanks for that perspective Tidal. I think she may be chatty, but I hope she will behave.

Do you think I should mention it in the first lesson, along the lines of ''Please have a little sympathy for Ms60, how woulld you like it if your dad was your maths teacher?"

Or should I just cary on as I would normally.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I wouldn't suggest saying that.

How about making no mention of your daughter at all - the pupils will all know. Just say "I want you all to be aware that I shall be treating everyone equally in all aspects, including behaviour and homework."

8. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Probably wise advice nomad.

She actually seems more at ease about this than me.Al her friends know who I am.

I just wanted to hear other's experience

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Gawd, I'm dim. I thought you meant you were going to home-school her!!!

Stand easy.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It may not be your daughter who finds it hard to adapt, but may be her friends, who know you outside school. For me personally that was harder than my own children, who just wanted to 'hide' at the back of the class and not get noticed, as everyone was aware I was xxxx' s Mum!

With my own children it was only on 'supply' where I met them so wasn't too long a time.

Definitely no problem when they were young, but they found it more difficult as they got older. So when they each moved to Year 7 I stopped doing supply at the school. (It was a Middle School so years 5-8)

Very sound advice, as usual, from nomad.

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My Mum taught me for my 2 year GCSE course. I was told off for talking more in her lesson than any other. I got my revenge by being able to quote any definitions that she gave us word for word and with all the same emphasis - it sounded like I was taking the p*ss but it was just very easy for me to pick up on her intonation.

Neither of us made an issue of it and neither did my peers. The most amusing incident was when one of the boys in my class asked if I had a Dad. I said that I had and asked why. His response was "Your Mum doesn't seem to be the type of woman to have a husband." I thought it best not to ask for clarification!

12. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

You aren't about to teach your own daughter at school, you are delivering the national curriculum. No big deal except a bit protective maybe - the education you should be delivering will be that you do at home.

13. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

My mum taught me during Year 9. Everyone knew who she was, of course. She didn't say anything about it and neither did I. I never said either "Mum" or "Mrs X", just didn't call her anything which solved that little awkwardness! She marked my book like any other, apart from a major project we had to do, which was handed to another teacher in the department to mark.

I don't remember much about it, really, so it couldn't have been too bad.

14. Strangely enough, the teachers at the school I used to work at ensured their own children were not taught there. At my present school however, there are at least a dozen who have their own children going through. The students seem to prefer it if no reference is ever made to the relationship within the classroom.

15. missmunchie

missmunchie Occasional commenter

I taught my own daughter last year for Science. It was fine, I just treated her the same as everyone else. Except when any of the students asked me if I had a favourite student in the class, to which my reply was always of course! I had known most of the class since they were 3 which was weird but helpful in a way as I also knew the parents. I noticed that my daughter used to stand at the back of the class for experiments which she thought might be dangerous. She told me later this was because her previous Science teacher threw a big chunk of sodium in water and the ensuing explosion gave her a fright. I hope she enjoys Science experiments a bit more now that i have taught her. She did tell me she thought she had learned a lot more this year. The only thing I really agonised over before teaching it was the reproduction topic. Although my daughter is 12, she is still very childlike and is the smallest in her class. I hadn't told her anything about periods or the like and knew she would have to learn about it eventually. It went well and as much as I dread teaching this topic, the whole class were really enthusiastic about it. I probably won't get the chance to teach my younger daughter as I'm going to teach Year 1 and she is going into Year 4.

Good luck!

16. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Sorry about this OP but I personally believe that unless you are in some crofting community in the Highlands, even being in the same school as your son/daughter should be illegal. Personally, I think it is unfair on them to have Mum/Dad at the school they go to (I would have been mortified personally.)

And surely, unless you are the sole teacher of a subject, the school should be doing everything possible to avoid you having to teach your own son/daughter!

If she misbehaves, do you have to give yourself 24 hours notice of any detention?!

And doesn't being in the same house as one of your pupils imply massive child protection issues?

Again, sorry to be so negative but I do have strong views on this!!!

17. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I've known a lot of teachers with their own kids in the same school. Usually they've tried to avoid teaching them, but I remember one or two requesting to teach the top set in that year, although it meant teaching their own child. Their reasoning was that they would have to have one group in that year, and they'd rather it wasn't one where they might have to be meting out a lot of detentions to their child's class mates.

I know there are some kids who would hate to be in the same school as their parents, but many are fine with it. In some schools there are quite a number of teachers' kids, and nobody takes much notice of it, but I can imagine that it's more difficult if you're the only one.

18. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Thanks for al your responses, it did suprise me a bit to find out how many of you were the 'product' of your own parents's teaching.

I teach IB in an International School, hence not the NC. I'm not sure how much difference that makes.

Although I started the thread, I am really not sure what your worries might be "scienceteacher"

At the end of the first week, everything seems to be good (she called me 'dad' when noone else could hear)

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I taught both mine. A2 to son and AS to daughter. Not a problem at all. Neither ever called me Mum but some of their classmates called me by my Christian name as they had known me for years and would frequently come to our home.

20. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I taught in my daughters' primary school for a couple of years and generally managed to avoid teaching them. Several members of staff had children in the school and one of the first considerations when sorting classes for the new term was avoiding family clashes!

Of course I knew all the parents from my time at 'the school gate' and many of the other children in the school knew me by my first name, from before I was a teacher there.

One little lad, who I'd know since he was a bump, passed by my desk in school and instinctively said 'Hi Rosie .. er... Mrs .. er ..? ' and then added despairingly 'Rosiegirl - what 's your name in school again?'

My advice to Ian60 would be to play it with a straight bat, especially to begin with and hopefully it will be a non-event!