1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So, how has the first 2 weeks been under 'new normal'?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by br0wnsugar, Sep 12, 2020.

1. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Wondering how your schools have been/pupils movement/teaching/support/break times etc?
    What plans does your school have for open/parents evening this year? Booked appointments, virtually, otherwise?

EDIT - title - How have not has - apologies!!

2. skteachy

skteachy New commenter

First week back was inset days ( which were pointless). They had staggered starts for every year group. We get half an hour lunch but its currently so busy that a lot of us forget to even eat and realise that when its the end of the day. Its exhausting running around, technology hasnt been great. The school is really over crowded and hard to manage groups not mixing. SLT still delivering pointless cpds and having a faculty meeting every week in which we cant even use to plan or discuss but just be told what school expectations are time and time again. Considering the situation they're making it much harder to get on with what we need to do. The weekend was desperatly needed but the anxiety is kicking in on a Sunday evening. Oh plus kids are dropping like flies, some have symptoms others off school due to sibling in primary or a different school with positive case etc. apparently parents evening and open evenings will be virtual.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

So some parts of the 'new normal' are just like they've always been then.

peter12171 likes this.
  4. br0wnsugar

Oh wow - business as usual but with added pressures that SLT appear to not be aware of. By the sounds of your description, the school are going to get their money's worth out of you all and you have also stated the reality. It is impossible to keep teenagers socially distant within a school setting, primary and secondary and then there are the learning bubbles???

5. Only Me

Only Me New commenter

The govt has thrown schools into a firepit without anything to fight the fire. 'Bubbles' are farcical when you consider the amount of contacts within them. It only took a week for the first positive cases to show. Underlying health conditions are no longer considered and regardless of hand sanitiser and the myth that we can all remain 2m apart at all times, we are all sharing the same air to breathe.
    Its a farce.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  6. catslovelycats

catslovelycats New commenter

horrendous and unsustainable. walking back and forth across campus in the wind and rain led me to consider resigning in a particularly emotional exhausted moment!

agathamorse likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Bloody hard

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

Unrelentingly dreadful.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. br0wnsugar

Yes, this I totally get. The irresponsible thing is that it is impossible to be back in school, with a near full population and socially distance and work in bubbles etc; a bit like a teacher's workload. Impossible to manage but is overlooked as unimportant.(Until it matters - SLT obs etc).

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  10. br0wnsugar

Oh gosh - you're all in this cauldron together. It's crazy and I think schools should have tried to be more creative rather than just deciding to being everyone back together at the same time. Some of KS3 should have been taught on line and Year 11s and 13s at school.

11. br0wnsugar

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Last week was slightly easier but every day is an adventure and very tiring. Meetings have been cut down and that helps but it isn't very pleasant.

From tomorrow all the kids (and staff) have to wear masks around the corridors - we should have been doing this from day 1.

People have to pace themselves - I am trying to work a certain period of time after school every day but make sure I get enough rest.

Our new management have not really been very constructive either - we all had lesson observations last week and a work scrutiny on Thursday (these will take place on a weekly basis). We knew they would be unfriendly but its not the best start they could have made - lets leave it at that.

I have never appreciated weekends more.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  13. thetapdancingteach

thetapdancingteach New commenter

Awful. I've written my letter of resignation. Just waiting a few weeks to have the conversation as September seems a bit soon!

colacao17 likes this.
  14. guineastar

guineastar New commenter

Behavior is appalling. Students seem to have had no discipline for the last 8 months. Playing on the fact we can't move around the classrooms and SLT are telling us to "pick our battles". Long story short, kids are getting away with doing no work and we are having to do more to pick up the slack.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  15. hbee1

hbee1 New commenter

Behaviour is definitely worse. Add in new Covid behaviour rules like no physical contact and one voice policy and I feel like I'm not teaching, but fighting behaviour fires. SLT are good in terms of workload, but behaviour is just...bad.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  16. skteachy

skteachy New commenter

@thetapdancingteach Have you got something confirmed for January?
    For us its not the kids but the workload. Were being made to cover and I'm getting 3 ppas a week. There isn't any quality in what we do but then again everythings been going downhill where i work

17. thetapdancingteach

thetapdancingteach New commenter

Unfortunately not, as of yet! Remaining hopeful that I do find something for now! Same for us- we're down to 3 out of a department of 10 this week!

18. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

I had written mine in my head last week, but decided to hold off. hwoever, having done the pros and cons thing, I now feel I could leave if I wanted to and it is a very liberating feeling.

It's unikely I will last until Christmas - the only think that will save me is another lockdown so I can get some real teaching done instead of this woefully inadequate stuff I'm having to do at the moment.

19. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Even without cover, the time wasted running around, logging in and logging out, and the time spent creating resources which are vastly inferior to those I could use if things were normal or if we had more in-class technology.

I am hating Term 1 20-21.

agathamorse likes this.