1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So how exactly do you do this?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Maths_Mike, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Upset one of my years 12's when I couldnt exaplain how to do this. Searched on google and it seems I am not the only one.
    f '(X) is x^2 -2 + 1/x^2 prove that f(x) is an increasing function (Edexcel P1 June 01 Q5)
    Ofcourse I get the fact that f '(X) >0 for an increasing function but given that
    f '(X) is x^2 -2 + 1/x^2 how do you get to (x-1/x)^2
    (Knowing the answer its obvious that (x-1/x)^2 is identical to x^2 -2 + 1/x^2 and that its alwasy positive I just cant do the completing the square bit)

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Is there an x missing in your post?
    If f'(x) = (x^2-2x+1)/x^2 then it is equal to [(x-1)/x]^2
    If it doesn't then why isn't it written as f'(x) = (x^2-1)/x^2 which clearly isn't positive if x^2<1!!

3. For a quadratic of the form x^2 +bx+c the c term is half the b term squared for a perfect square, so in your example you can think of it as x^2 -(2/x)x + c and since the c term is1/(x^2) which is half the b term squared, you have a perferct square of (x-1/x)^2.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Apologies - I assumed brackets where there clearly are none.

5. DM

DM New commenter

I'm minded to say it is obvious as I just look at the first and see the second but if some steps would help perhaps try this?
    x^2 - 2 + 1/x^2 = (x^4 - 2x^2 + 1) / x^2 = (x^2 -1)^2 / x^2 = (x - 1/x)^2

6. Shouldn't the last bit simplify to (x^2-1/x)^2 ? Perhaps that is the error that Mike has spotted?

7. DM

DM New commenter

No?

8. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

No error I am just not as good as DM and couldnt see it - thanks DM

9. Next time I'll put my reading glasses on before daring to suggest that DM has made a mistake! I was reading it as (x-1)/x instead of x-1/x. Perhaps having a drink after browsing the forum instead of before would help as well:)