1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So....here we are... the future of the NHS

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HelenREMfan, Jun 16, 2019.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I should have taken out health insurance 45 years ago to pay for the treatments that I cannot get today because of weighting lists. A competent government would have brought in such an insurance system for me back then.

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

What do you think could have been done about the use of a booked theatre where there has been a delay in start time? There are many variables in health care that can cause delays and often the patients are unaware of why. In any case this is more to do with planning utilisation than demand for the services provided.

How does 61% late starts relate to under utilisation, a more accurate figure would be the room booking and uptake figures for reasons just mentioned.

3. needabreak

I expect like most of us you thought they did and it was called National Insurance.

You imply we haven't had a competent Government in 45 years, you may well have hit the nail on the head but like all things public sector it's swings and roundabouts every election time and since they are all trying to get back into power the actual services and service users are the losers.

We want these services, we don't want to have to pay for them at the time we need them, on the whole we want holidays more than to contribute to the system that supplies the services that we want others to fund and so on and on it goes.

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Yes, I get all that - but what I don't get is:
    - why are there empty slots?
    - if there are empty slots for some good reason why are they not filled by those next on the waiting list, rather than those who can pay?

needabreak likes this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The surgery we had when I lived in a rural part of Kent was very much like you describe. I undertook some voluntary work for them when I took early retirement, so gained an insight into how they managed to offer a far better service than the people of Chatham were getting.

It's basically about how well the practice is run. Doctors can claim a fee for every service they provide beyond the basic appointment and issuing of prescriptions. If they can encourage patients to undertake tests that will give early warning of an impending future health problem and head it off at the pass, so to speak, they generate the income to make their lives (and the lives of their patients) simpler and so be attractive to doctors looking for a site to practice their craft in.

The surgery I did voluntary work for had such a good reputation that a patient left a sum of money in her will to the surgery to be used in some way to benefit other patients, so they chose to buy a van with it. I drove that van delivering prescriptions to people in villages and hamlets that lacked bus services or nearby phamacies, who would otherwise struggle to get the medications they need.

It isn't rocket science to provide an excellent GP service, It just needs a hard working and imaginative practice manager to ensure the surgery gets the full benefit of available NHS and other funding.

florian gassmann likes this.
  6. needabreak

That sums it up nicely, clearly then others are correct it is privatisation by the back door, since creating and maintaining a revenue stream has been the reserve of the private sector, unless the aims and objectives of the NHS have changed and we have-not actually noticed.

Edit- no wait they have changed sustantially to include...
    1. Generate business leads from the Network website for Members interested in pursuing commercial income opportunities
    source https://www.nhshealthatwork.co.uk/ - well I never! - ah no that's OH... guess it must be sited somewhere else.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

NI is an imposed tax. Increases could have been imposed so that the average person was in credit, the super healthy subsidising the poor of health. Imposing a profit based system means that the private sector will take over and charge more to increase profits and bonuses.

8. needabreak

We like that in the UK we call it fairness, like supporting the "less well off" and our two or is it three/multi tier education system.

NB - yes it is imposed but you are right if you thought it a good idea you might have joined a private scheme years ago while still in relatively good health no doubt... like most of us though you hedged your bets and may well have lost. That's life. *Feels like we need a looney tunes interlude here now.

Oh I know I am nothing if not entertaining.

racroesus likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't know if it still remains the case, but when I worked in the NHS, there was a quota that specified the proportion of time consultants had to allocate to NHS and private work. In the hospital I worked in, the cardiac consultants had completed their NHS quota by Christmas and refused to operate on any more NHS patients until April, when the next year's quota began.

10. needabreak

As is the case with many many extremely large complex organisations.

11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

If you read the leaflet provided by the Trust, they say:
    • Capacity already exists in our healthcare system, if not utilised, costs will have to be taken out, shrinking rather than growing our services.

12. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Have you been in a NHS hospital for a stay recently?? Staff standing around "twiddling their thumbs"??? Stuff and Nonsense.

Re hip and knee replacements - people can not have those done on a whim !! It has always been the case that any patient receiving a replacement had to be in some considerable pain and incapacitated. Add to that the reluctance either financially based or otherwise for NHS to do these surgeries, they put you off as long as possible as I alas learned to my cost. It is commonplace for people to be told they are "too young" for a replacement or that they must lose weight before surgery would be considered. A 'catch 22' situation for people with very restricted mobility.

needabreak and chelsea2 like this.
  13. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I'm not sure that it's that bad an idea. I would certainly pay if I wanted something done quick and if I could afford it and as long as it is because there is a space available and I'm not taking someone's place.

Most of us already pay for eyes and teeth so why not other things?

14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

This is the circle I cannot square.
    If there's space available and people waiting how can you not be taking someone's place?

needabreak likes this.
  15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I'm just on the other side of a new hip. It was a long time before I was referred, as they like to tick off other options first like physio. But once I saw the consultant and he agreed my hip was **ackered it was 8 weeks and I can't fault the care I've had so far.
    There's no way I could have paid and without it I would most probably have been looking at giving up work in the near future.

needabreak likes this.
  16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

That would be over £1950 per person per year from birth (in today's money)

17. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Those things were free for 3 years until the NHS became too expensive in1951.

18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Let's not forget Free at the point of.....

les25paul likes this.
  19. smallcreep0

smallcreep0 New commenter

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

From wiki; NI is paid at 12% from £8424 to £46350 so about £1000 to about £5800. After £46350 the rate is 2%. Now, as far as I am aware such a drop-off doesn't happen with Income Tax, the bands being 20% over the personal allowance, then 40% then 45%. Why not a flat rate of, say, 10% for over £8424?