1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

so have we actually run out of teachers? and what happens now?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by dunnocks, Feb 2, 2018.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

As long as they continue to come top of the rankings, international students and faculty will continue to flock to UK universities.

2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Excellent. ‘Pedagogy -a -go-go’ it is! I just don’t see how we can sustain top rankings as school standards plummet. The current funding crisis and uneven teaching provision will affect so many future uni students.

3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

You increase your number of high paying international students and famous lecturers. How do you think that the Americans do it? It's certainly not due to the high standards in their own domestic education system . . .

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

An interesting thread. A colleague of mine has been off sick now for nearly 3 months. The work has been taken over by a part time teacher who had a suitable background in the subject. However, the school was going to get a supply but then suddenly the didn't - couldn't find one it seems and jiggled the part timers timetable to take all the extra classes - so now she is over full time. None of us have been sad about this. She has done the jo0b, sorted out all the work and got on with it, so no one else got additional cover. I thought it was about money...... as a part timer she gets paid on a lessons taught only basis. But maybe not.

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

This is not a problem for a government with the mentality that if it looks out of a window and sees that it is raining, it will keep searching until it finds one where it is it is not.

drek likes this.
  6. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

Well, giving trainee teachers virtually unlimted chances to pass the Numeracy and Literacy Skills tests should boost numbers (if not quality)

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

That was pretty much my experience as well.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There is a chapter about me in her Guerrilla Guide to Teachers book! She also told me that she uses a quote from me to end her talks!

JL48 likes this.
  9. banjouk

banjouk New commenter

My mate was an ex HOD (Music) and now works for the LA music service in primary schools and loves it, although his pay has roughly halved. One day a week however he has to do a day in a secondary school which is whole class teaching. A full timetable for the day (5 periods - 30 kids a time), in a classroom by himself, teaching music. There is one other music teacher in the school who also has a full timetable on that day. The school are really taking advantage of him as his pay is well below that of supply for the day.

10. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Occasional commenter

[QUOTE="Last year ( in a different school) I even had a student complain to me that we had tested them on something they had only been taught once " but that's not fair,.... what if we weren't listening??"[/QUOTE]

It is at times like that that I have to excuse myself to the Prep room next door ( I teach science) so that I can have a good swear.

Moony likes this.
  11. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Occasional commenter

This is the bit I do not understand, how can you have not enough cannon fodder and schools unwilling to employ whilst at the same time there not be enough supply work at a decent rate to make a living. Something here does not add up.

(How long before we find some academy is also running a supply agency...)

drek, JohnJCazorla and tonymars like this.
  12. Jolly_Roger1

@ridleyrumpus: I am in a similar situation to you, and I am just as baffled as you. It seems that this 'shortage of teachers' is like those sea monsters depicted on late medieval maps: every one 'knows' they exist but you have not seen them yourself, or met anyone who has. Many possible reasons for this disparity between the number of supposed unfilled vacancies in schools, and the large number of teachers who cannot find work. The 'law of supply and demand' (no pun intended) does not seem to apply to education, from the teacher's point of view, anyway..

drek and JohnJCazorla like this.
  13. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

That is also something that puzzles me. I'm a supply teacher earning a very good rate (£195 per day + agency fee of ?????) and that is clearly because the school is desperate for Maths/Science. But this is a very bottom-end school which can't recruit either.

I try to get permanent and don't even make a short-list for interview so my only option must be to keep on with long-term supply and drift in that way. However I'm only half-hearted about permanent so maybe that's the more obvious reason.

I think it's down to 2 reasons.
    1. A lot of teachers are totally unsuited to this dog-eat-dog world and so are easy prey for agencies and schools to exploit.
    2. Not all areas and subjects are shortage. I've often wondered about PE teachers who seem to be ten-a-penny (literally) and they can be forced to take a much lower rate.

drek and Shedman like this.
  14. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Apologies @Jolly_Roger1. You seem to be aged, like me. Good at Science, which makes you better than me (I'm okay at Maths though). But at the other end of the spectrum. Can't see how this is other than luck, bad in your case.

15. Jolly_Roger1

@JohnJCazorla: I am 62 now. I am sure that age has something to do with it. I know ex-colleagues who are getting zip, even the chap who taught physics at my last school. All of us got 'pushed out' in our mid-to-late fifties. Schools and agencies are so desperate they will do everything, short of paying us, to get us to work for them.

I take your point about teachers of my age being unused to, and unsuited for, the 'dog-eat-dog' world that pertains in education employment, these days. I still think in simplistic, naïve concepts, such as 'I work, you pay me', not the 'work for free this week, and I'll try and get you double next week' conning cobblers.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    JohnJCazorla likes this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It is at times like that that I have to excuse myself to the Prep room next door ( I teach science) so that I can have a good swear.[/QUOTE]
    If he wasn't listening how did he know you had taught it in the first place?

Moony likes this.
  17. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

If he wasn't listening how did he know you had taught it in the first place?[/QUOTE]

I have a set answer to that. Its a slight inhale of breath usually followed by the sentence: unlucky let's hope you listened to the rest then.

Usually only said once the students are used to my slightly warped and honest sense of humour.

18. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Can anybody ever remember what the lecturery bits were all about?

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Mostly PC stuff about ethnicity, diversity and behaviour IIRC

20. RollingJuggernaut

RollingJuggernaut New commenter

Yeah, I remember loads! But I find the subject of education very interesting so learning about different theories, philosophies and research was fascinating to me.