1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

so have we actually run out of teachers? and what happens now?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by dunnocks, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I like to wiggle a little bit of Chaucer’s ‘Miller’s Tale’ into my posts whene’er I can. I still think the phrase ‘hogge’s toorde’ is fantastic, and still highly applicable to the looks, Language and policies of many a Westminster worker. I said ’worker.’

tonymars likes this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

That’s mad, that is!

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

What? That the university chose to acknowledge the students efforts by awarding a qualification appropriately? The person in question knew they weren't going to be in the classroom and was fine without having QTS. But they had practically got through the course and all the uni stuff was done, they just failed to complete the placement.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

5. Mrsmumbles

Just seems a bit of a waste of all that work and another loss. What do you do with the qualification if you don’t get full QTS?

6. Vince_Ulam

Teach.

7. Mrsmumbles

Oh yeah! Sorry, silly me, with my 1990s mindset of only qualified teachers allowed near the kids! LOL! :p;):(o_O

schoolsout4summer and tonymars like this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

I have made light of the PGCE but it shows a certain level of determination and discrimination of educational theory in practice. There can be many reasons why a person does not perform such that they are immediately recommended for QTS and universities recognise this in granting extensions. Sometimes candidates don't accept the extension because they need to earn money or are exhausted. A PGCE on a CV is worth seeing but I'd still like to see ITT reformed.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Another one for you to watch. :p

10. Vince_Ulam

No, I've made my arguments in detail. They are correct, supported by your own evidence & witness and no more of your fallacious appeals to the authority of a Youtube channel will change this.

11. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

:rolleyes:

That actually made me laugh out loud. Let's take baxterbasics' advice, and leave this one for the moment.

Enjoy your Thursday evening, and have a lovely weekend :)

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  12. maggie m

maggie m Occasional commenter

13. maggie m

The PGCE I did was a joke. 2 weeks in university at the start. One day a week in university for the next 10 weeks, then a week after 1st placement and 2 weeks at the end.
    I had to write four essays during the course. The first took for ever. Being a scientist I was not used to writing woolly rubbish. I got the hang of it and the next 3 took no time at all. Lecturers turned up late all the time and moaned at us for our lack of professionalism when several of us got delayed one Friday by a pile up on the motorway. My tutor turned up late for one of my observations and complained she hadn't seen the start of the lesson.
    However the staff in my placement schools were fantastic.

14. maggie m

The PGCE I did was a joke. 2 weeks in university at the start. One day a week in university for the next 10 weeks, then a week after 1st placement and 2 weeks at the end.
    I had to write four essays during the course. The first took for ever. Being a scientist I was not used to writing woolly rubbish. I got the hang of it and the next 3 took no time at all. Lecturers turned up late all the time and moaned at us for our lack of professionalism when several of us got delayed one Friday by a pile up on the motorway. My tutor turned up late for one of my observations and complained she hadn't seen the start of the lesson.
    However the staff in my placement schools were fantastic.

15. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

They were fine with it, there were some underlying things that they'd been working through whilst doing the course that meant that in all reality being a teache wouldn't have been good for them. So walking away with a qualification after doing all that work, even if it wasn't a PGCE so to speak, was a good thing.

16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

So not all bad then. :)

17. Mrsmumbles

I just still struggle to get my head round it. It’s like once you buy your first home, you stop worrying about other interest rates because you’re locked into your own. I still assume that all my teaching colleagues trained and studies as I did for teaching. They didn’t. It is good that those who did not fully qualifybget something, but personally, nowadays there are too many routes into teaching an djit all of them are of a suitably high standard. And the good teachers are being accused of having low standards and chucked out to save schools money. Promising trainees are quitting because of the stresses of practice that never used to be this bad. Bleak.

JL48 likes this.
  18. Vince_Ulam

You too.

JL48 likes this.
  19. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Some of them have none at all.

20. Mrsmumbles

Does kind of make you wonder how long 'Great' Britain can boast having world-class universities and original thinkers. Were qualified teachers so awful and offensive that they had to dumb it that far down? Apparently...yes! There should 3 routes into teaching at the most. If it carries on the way it's going, they'll be doing pop-up stands in Tesco's and hauling stunned shoppers into their 'Ped-a-goggy-a g-go' van parked out the back and turning it them all into the educational equivalent of 'Snog, Marry, Avoid.'

tonymars and JohnJCazorla like this.