1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

so have we actually run out of teachers? and what happens now?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by dunnocks, Feb 2, 2018.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

This week around half the lessons in my department have been cover or supply, similar story in the departments on either side of us.

We are looking at a huge time table rewrite to protect year 11 and try to guarantee them teachers. We have discussed merging classes in the sports hall. The possibility of sending year 8 was raised t one point.

Supply teachers can basically name their price! But basically fall into two camps.

1) show no evidence that they have ever visited a school or met a child before
    2) cope absolutely fine, but refuse point blank to commit to more than two or three days at a stretch.

I know other local schools are in similar difficulties, but how wide spread is this?

Shedman, BetterNow and JohnJCazorla like this.
  2. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Occasional commenter

What subjects are suffering in your school? Is it an average sort of school, a high achieving school, or one that most teachers would find "challenging" and thus would not commit to, long term?

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Its a good school, its core subjects that I am familiar with.

4. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Occasional commenter

You post makes me think that, as a supply teacher, I should be demanding more money for doing long-term supply! I am one of those supply teachers who would jump at the chance of doing long-term in a good school, as it provides more continuity, and I don't like waiting for the phone to ring in the morning. All I know is that in the North West where I am, anybody (and I mean anybody) who can deliver maths is like gold dust. I think it is because we can all waffle through English and pretend we are good at it, but if you can't do algebra, you can't swot up the night before - especially since the Higher Level GCSE has recently got a lot harder.

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes, you should be asking to be very well paid!

Shedman, Lara mfl 05 and baxterbasics like this.
  6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Try before you buy.

JL48, BetterNow and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

its not even that, they like the school, they just don't want to have to plan and mark, etc. So they will agree to three days in one department, then two days in another, then something else next week, but won't say in advance....

One of the best wants to be free to take time off whenever she wants, which of course is her right, she decides each morning whether she wants the work or not.

8. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Dunnocks, I'm sick of pointing this out, but if schools are so desperate why aren't heads begging me to teach in their schools. I teach ALL A-level maths areas and chemistry and physics. But you already know the answer don't you. They won't touch anyone they know they can't bully and intimidate.

And, no, I don't want any job offers. Schools have well and truly burnt their boats with me. I'll just enjoy my tutoring, while laughing like hell at the predicament they have got themselves into due to their pompousness and arrogance.

9. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I am in a similar situation to @David Getling. I am an experienced science teacher but nobody is beating a path to my door. I was asked if I could do a week's science cover in a Hounslow school, just yesterday. All seemed to be going fine until I mentioned the 'P' word*. So much for supply teachers being able to 'name their price'.

*pay

num3bers, sabrinakat and JohnJCazorla like this.
  11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I know your situation,@Jolly_Roger1 . i don't understand it. I only know of one local school with a fully staffed science department. Everyone else I know is relying on supply and paying them well.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Really helps the situation when you have colleagues like two of mine.

They were both in for one day out of five last week - they were off with colds.

13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

are you basically fully staffed @peakster ? with sickness absences?

We are carrying vacancies, and have two staff off long term sick too. I'm just interested to know how many departments nationwide are carrying vacancies.

Shedman likes this.
  14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

ps. I always perk up when I see you on a thread. :)

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We are fully staffed in my department and generally in the whole school. Unlike previous years we have nobody on long term sick leave this year.

But there are still teachers who take as many days off with very minor illnesses although this may well stop soon as we have new management and systems are beginning to tighten up.

16. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Filth.

17. rosievoice

Some schools appear to be clinging to the deluded notion that they hold the whip hand. Or are hoping you are so very desperate for money you'll be grateful for the crumbs from their table

18. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@dunnocks: Apparently, there is no shortage of science (or any other sort of teacher, AFAIK), in London. I know half-a-dozen would-be supply teachers, most of them ex-colleagues, who are getting nothing. An other factor might well be age, as all of them are in the their late fifties, or early sixties. The physics teacher from my old school, who got pushed out along with everyone else in long-trousers, has had less work than me, over the last five years!

@rosievoice: This school, or the agency, were not prepared to offer me even crumbs!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Pretty much like our place. A number of staff off long term with WRS and other chronic illnesses. A succession of supply teachers and cover supervisors. HODs rushing around like blue ar *ed flies every morning trying to ensure each class has some productive and relevant work to do. We've been advertising for maths, science and MFL staff for months. Vacancies still unfilled. Those staff we have tried to appoint have had better offers from elsewhere.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  20. rosievoice

B*st*rds. :mad:

BetterNow likes this.