1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

so, got a bit of a dilemma concerning school experience in a school...

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by yellowredblue, Feb 1, 2017.

1. yellowredblue

yellowredblue New commenter

I'm currently working in a sixth form college where they only do A-levels for the past 4 months now as a technician during term time. I want to do secondary science PGCE but needs experience of actually being in a secondary school. i previously worked in a FE college for 2 years where they did A-levels, BTEC, GCSEs.

I wanted Wednesday afternoon off so i can get school experience but my line manager bluntly said no. now i may understand, it may be bad to go, but really, its sports day, all students and teachers are off during the afternoon. And the way he said it, it was not up for negotiation or anything.

so now, im stuck between a rock and a hard place. how do i get school experience if i am not allowed time off at all?

I'm really thinking quitting near mid april so i can aim to get experience around mid may to the end of june, but this is near the end of the school year....

and then what if, i dont get on my course, then i will be jobless....i think i will go for more of a teaching assistant type role...

what do you think i should do?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Why don't you finish this year out at your current job and apply for a TA role for September? If you work for an entire year in a school, that will give you a real opportunity to observe and experience of what it is like working in a secondary school an you will be able to speak to teachers about their experiences.
    You will also get valuable experience in observing teachers organising classrooms in terms of how they speak to students ( or how not to), managing behaviour, and teaching and learning methods. It really is the only way to ensure you know what happens in schools. You will also get an idea of what teachers face in terms of workload; but even working in a school never prepares you fully for the pressures and workloads teachers face.

Don't be in too much of a rush. If you are young, then you have plenty of time to organise things. You are wise to consider your options, as you do not want to quit your current job without something else to go to.

3. binaryhex

binaryhex Senior commenter

I would take your time. It will give you a chance to work on your spillin, grammmer, how and wor to use Kapital litters and stuff, innit.

4. yellowredblue

yellowredblue New commenter

Hi Pepper5, thank you for the advice. it does make more sense to wait out the year and then apply. of course, it's far more of a logical step but I run the risk of being unemployed for a few months, Which is kind of scary. Is it easy to get a TA role? Thank you for all your help!

I'm also 28! So, not young anymore!