1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

so frustrated

Discussion in 'Primary' started by zannar, Jan 27, 2016.

1. zannar

zannar New commenter

Assessment and progress!
    I have children who I know have made great strides in their learning, confidence, speech and ability to explain what they have learned. I am really proud of their hard work and effort. When I fill in data sheets it shows them as failing in so many ways I want to cry.
    Those who struggle to articulate their knowledge in a written format can so easily be disheartened. I have children who can retell stories, make inferences and predictions. They show a fabulous understanding of what they have read but when it comes to showing this in a written format they struggle.
    I know children need to be able to produce written evidence. I know the system is based on tests. I know the current system assesses memory of facts more than understanding(in my point of view). I know there have been these arguments for years.
    We have been told we can teach the objectives for the year below if necessary but we have to assess against the objectives for their year group. Madness!

What I am really, really struggling with is having to say my children are not meeting the required standard without a system which really shows how much progress they have made.
    I can prove it by work completed and observations but the ******** data will not.

To give a child of 8 a feeling of being a failure is appalling.

I apologise but I am retiring to bed now, so will check this thread tomorrow and also if I sound a bit sorry for myself. I am just very disheartened by the system at the moment.

2. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I think a lot of teachers feel the same.

They can't all be the prime minister when they grow up. Some children (or people in general) are just not academic. As teachers, all we can do is try our best to give them a good grounding in the basic skills, know them well and know how to move them on, whatever their starting points.

Sometimes what certain children gain from us is emotional or personal and we don't see the 'progress' there and then, but our influence on them could be crucial at a later stage when things slot into place they begin to take off.

Just because a system shouts 'raise the standard and prove the progress' doesn't mean that it will automatically happen. I'd rather help a young child develop than please a government minister on a spreadsheet of percentages.

I know its not much help but just wanted to sympathise!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. zannar

zannar New commenter

Thank you:)

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

This is just one aspect of the Hell that Primary teaching has now become. Age Related Expectations.
    Of COURSE they are not all going to get there. Otherwise how would we ever have car mechanics, or butchers, or hairdressers, etc? The world would just be full of nuclear scientists and brain surgeons. Nobody would ever just 'work in a shop'. Not every child is going to make academic progress at the same rate as their peers. But your HT, and mine, has been brainwashed into thinking that they CAN.

I have sat in a staff meeting and listened to HT say, when someone mentioned that, try as we may, some kids are still THICK and will not get there, "Oh yes, they will. If the teaching is good enough, ALL pupils will make Age Related Expectations." (Yeah, and you will get your pay rise.)

Silk purse. Sow's ear. But we aren't allowed to say that now, are we?
    [ It's not a Growth Mindset attitude.] You see, all you need to do is BELIEVE that you can do it, and hey presto, you can! Simples, no?

That is why a lot of teachers will be clickety clicking 'achieved' on all the little coloured boxes, come July. "Look! They DID get there! All the fairy wishes worked!"

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. theswift1

theswift1 New commenter

I try to overshadow the demoralising data by celebrating the small achievements that have been made more than I ever used to. I give out lots of certificates, awards, send work home etc. To be honest, it's exhausting and some are still not using finger spaces. However, it keeps everyone, including myself, more positive.

6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Not all children will meet ARE otherwise the floor targets would be 100% and not 65% this year. My year 5s are struggling to make ARE but are making progress. This is shown through the way we assess but is also shown through their books. It may be worth identifying some work in the books which clearly shows the progress they have made, copy them and have them for PMR or just to give to your HT to show how well they have done.

7. zannar

zannar New commenter

I can show progress by books and my notes. What I am concerned with is the way I have to assess them and the data it will produce. I will explain to parents about progress but I also have to say they are not meeting age required standard, which in my book is a ridiculous form of assessment. Horrible. I am not concerned about my PM (got to the stage where I don't give a fig) but I am concerned that children are being labelled failures at such an early age and that, as others have said, academic achievement is not the be all and end all at 7 years of age . I didn't enjoy , or achieve particularly well in, education until I left school and I did OK.