1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So. Drew Povey. Saint? Victim?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by grumpydogwoman, Sep 18, 2018.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

2. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I still think there’s something suspicious about the fact that his brothers were his SLT! If he thinks there is a vendetta surely he would fight it.

3. grumpydogwoman

I didn't know that! His brothers??? Sheesh.

4. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

To be fair, they all looked very good, quite charismatic, good with kids etc. But then aren’t we all? Lol! Just wonder if there was competition for the posts.

5. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Just did some reading about the Povey’s, and I may take back the earlier comment, Drew’s older brother was at the school first and is now deputy, the younger one is called behaviour coordinator which may not be SLT, that’s unclear. He is saying it was record keeping but investigators suggest it is more than that, but it is of course not clear yet because it’s still under investigation.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Something to do with saying children are 'off role' when they aren't really in order to make the exam passes look better than they really are is all that's in the public arena at the moment.

Suspending the head would suggest the governors think it is rather more than that though. And appointing an interim head suggests they expect the suspension/investigation to be fairly long.

Not sure who the other members of staff also suspended are. May be his brothers? May be not.

I never really took to him, [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]. However, there is no doubt he was committed to the school.

7. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

"0.2% of the school population" quoted tonight in reference to irregularities in record keeping. This would seem to indicate a total of 1-2 children based on a roll of 772 (small secondary!) Hmm

Scintillant likes this.
  8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

‘Administrative errors’ was mentioned, although there was a comment that governors would not be taking so long to determine what had happened, if it were administrative errors.

I thought, from when the programme was shown, that the brother who was the Behaviour Manager, did not have QTS.

Comments supportive of him on Twitter, but three members of the same family in positions of responsibility in a school? Or is that too cynical?

9. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

And in an interview with MEN "0.5% of the school cohort" Very different statistics.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I wouldn't want to work in school with this kind of set up.

Three senior staff were also suspended, but seem to be keeping a dignified silence.
    They probably don't have a lucrative 'motivational speaking' business to fall back on. :rolleyes:

Administrative errors:
    We wrote they weren't on role, but they were.
    We didn't mark them as excluded when we sent them home, because their parents agreed it was a good idea.

Hmmmm.

11. WJClarkson

WJClarkson Occasional commenter

I don't think it's about what the governors think. According to Drew Povey's resignation letter, the governors only suspended him because they were told if he wasn't suspended, they governing body would be disbanded and replaced with an Interim Executive Board. The governors were essentially coerced.

Jesmond12 and Scintillant like this.
  12. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Also interesting is the statement that he refused to join a trust recommended by Salford Council.

13. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

I am not convinced that is coercion, rather the GB were made aware of their responsibilities.

14. WJClarkson

WJClarkson Occasional commenter

Yes, I suppose that's one way of looking at it.

The school was already working with a multi academy trust and Drew Povey made clear that he wanted to join it. Apparently, the only reason the school couldn't join the MAT was because it had too much debt. Such a problem will probably be resolved by Christmas when the school is graded inadequate by Ofsted and forced to become an academy with the debt wiped.

Scintillant and hhhh like this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Actually, I find myself strangely disinterested.

I assume that the suspension and accusations are not without some substance.

16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

There are a large number of schools doing a lot worse in terms of off-rolling and illegal exclusions that are actively ignored by Ofsted, government and relevant authorities. This cannot simply be about a very, very few off-rolled pupils when the governments preferred MAT chains are doing this unhampered and wholesale, surely?

There's clearly more to this, unless it is akin to those unfortunate people who were paraded in the media over coursework cheating when half the country was at it.

Something's amiss. No doubt we'll find out at some point...

saluki likes this.
  17. Brunel

Brunel Established commenter

A local journalist interviewed on Radio 4 yesterday was suggesting that the local authority had long had a grudge against Povey because he had publicly criticised the amount of debt (£3.5 million if I remember correctly)the authority had encouraged his predecessor to amass in order to improve outcomes and which he was expected to clear.
    Whether that is the whole story or not it’s a reminder that local authorities are not necessarily the paragons of good practice and fair dealing that, in an age of MATs, many of us would like to believe.

18. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

As far as I am concerned the leadership of this school failed when they agreed to allow in television cameras.

19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Did he publicly criticise his governing body for running up the debt? Or his predecessor for recommending it? They were the people responsible for the finances, not the council.

All sounds like getting your retaliation in first when you know there's going to be **** coming your way when the investigation is finished.

20. grumpydogwoman

Plus side
    • He won't take a settlement and run
    • He won't sign up to a gagging order
    • He sounds as if he is actually (retch) "in it for the kids"
    Minus
    • Your team includes your two brothers??? But I suppose it was a tough school and maybe nobody else would do it
    • I think he is a prolific user of edu-ballox
    Unsure
    • Were those irregularities simple errors or gaming the system? Hmm. We know that goes on.
    I think I'm veering towards thinking he's not a bad lad and has been got rid of. Do I care? It depends whether those kids have got someone who is better or worse than Mr Povey.

Jamvic, forthejoyofit and Brunel like this.