1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

so, did you like your presents?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Dec 26, 2011.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i was given a really HORRIBLE present and it has made me really down. not just because it?s SO awful, but because the person who bought it has known me for more than half my life and is supposed to be family. it?s not a one off, either, and i think the cumulative effect is getting to me. i just wonder if they really thought i would like them? REALLY? the more i think, the more upsetting it is. :(
    for the record, they are handknitted beige chunky slippers with PINK (shudder) bits, furry edging, thick soles. they are so far from my style and colour that they might as well be on that new planet they found the other week.
    they are lovely people. honest.

2. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

you were lucky
    I dream of a handknitted beige chunky slippers with PINK bits, furry edging, and thick soles.

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

When I was a lad I got a half eaten Mars Bar and I was grateful.

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i think next year i'll just say not to buy me anything. they just waste money as their presents go straight to raffles or charity shops. i get upset because they seem to either block everything they know about me out of their heads, or can't be bothered to think. i've said often enough that i hate pink, in general conversation! i really can't see the point of them spending their money any more. i'd rather they gave it to charity. i don't feel good about not liking their gifts, but i don't feel good about being so misjudged by people i am in a lot of contact with, either.

5. Four bottles of excellent malt whisky - Yayyyyy!!!!!
    Oh.. and a Kindle.

6. Makes my bucket of grit pale into insignificance!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The world's best pressie!
    Have a look at the Book Club if you need any tips.
    Happy Kindling!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

A 5 foot long jaffa cake box and a jar of lemon cheese! Perfect[​IMG]

9. I got a Welsh Fairy Door to paint in really bright colours to attract the fair folk to the room of my choosing - maybe they'll do my uni assignments for me...

10. I got lots of doggy related items this year, which was very cute.
    A nice hat and scarf
    The standard bottle of expensive perfume (which I don't like and doesn't suit me) from my dad...which I've passed to my mum (there's a reason to be grateful that they're divorced!). He did buy me a new tumble drier though, so that kind of makes up for it!

Oh, and the bad present - a phone call this evening telling me my mother-in-law's had a mild heart attack...

11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I loved my presents-after ll, I did choose them then pointed OH in their direction. [​IMG]

12. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Are you materialistic and shallow?

People starve to death on this planet and you're having a crisis because someone bought you some ugly slippers.

I wouldn't but a present for an ungrateful person like you if I were your 'friend'.

13. pagoda

pagoda New commenter

Loved my presents. Thoughtfully chosen.[​IMG]

14. I completely get the point OP but think there are probably worse things that can happen..... Don't dwell on it!

15. A lovely light hearted thread, thanks Emily! I like the sound of your slippers, you can send them my way. I liked almost all my presents. My favourites were my Tottenham Hotspur pj's. I was very surprised by my personalised number plates! But I've warmed to the idea. They have the initials of my children and husband on, which I find very thoughtful. I also got lovely clothes and a book on cata from my parents. Really happy!

16. Correct me if I'm mistaken, I thought the reason emilystrange was upset was less to do with the present and more to do with the fact it's SO not like her that it shows a lack of thought/knowledge about her.
    That said, some people just aren't good at choosing gifts.
    We're just doing token gifts this year, due to me being on my PGCE, Dad supporting me and Mum/Stepdad in the middle of a divorce. My stepdad normally just chips in for whatever my mum gets me but this year he got me an electronic-dictionary-bookmark, entirely of his own choosing. I think that means the most to me; I've been worried about how our relationship will be post-divorce, so it means a hell of a lot that he's bought me a gift- and one that's so entirely me!

17. I enjoy giving gifts to my family and always spend a lot of time thinking of suitable and fun things to buy them but am sometimes disappointed by what they buy for me - they do not always seem to be so thoughful. But this year. I love all my pressies!! I got a kindle from my three kids ( I did ask them for one but still appreciate the thought as none of them have a lot of spare cash), some lovely china mugs and a bottle of Southern Comfort from my sister, a very useful and stylish bag from my brother and a cheque plus a pretty scarf from my mum - all very well received and appreciated.
    I have now downloaded over 50 free books to my kindle to keep me going!!

18. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

I got a lovely Emma Bridgewater recipe box which I love. Am all happy here :)

19. I understand exactly where Emilystrange is coming from. I receive presents from a friend which show NO thought ever. She always gets me stuff from the 3 for 2 offer in Boots every year. I don't mind but it's always stuff I would never use. They get regifted/donated to the school charity at a later point but it hurts when I think that the friend has not considered me as a person and had just bought something to wrap.
    I also recieved some other "interesting" presents and whilst I know the giver had seen the items and thought they would be ideal for me a bit of further thought would have told them that better choices could have been made. What annoys me is I pointed out things I would have liked but didn't get them - oh and they would have been cheaper than the original present!

20. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Sounds like you're making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm sure you're not whingy or self-centred in real life, but that's how your OP comes across.
    I've had pretty dire presents in the past from people who should know me better. Eg last year Mr C's mum bought me a pair of hideous granny slippers for Christmas after Cariadlet told her that I didn't have any slippers (I didn't have any slippers, because I don't wear slippers. Duh! Especially not granny slippers).
    A couple of years ago, Mr C bought me a gift set from the Body Shop for my birthday. Bless him, he did pick up a white musk set, because I'd once said that I'd liked the smell. But the set included a bottle of perfume. We've lived already been living together for years, and not once, in all the time that I've known him have I ever worn perfume. He's also taking Cariadlet present shopping before now and let her buy tops that are about 3 sizes too small and 20 years to young for me.
    But I've always stuck a smile on my face, appreciated the thought behind the present (even if it's totally not what I'd choose myself) - and then "regifted" the present if I can get away with it.

Isn't that the most important thing?