1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So Boris won a bloody big majority. What next?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by HannahD16, Dec 13, 2019.

1. HannahD16

HannahD16 New commenter

So Boris won a stomping great majority and so what do you think will happen next for teachers, education, NHS, taxes, pensions etc? Any thoughts?

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I don’t think he’ll be paying us WASPI women the large compensation that Corbyn was promising.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

We will leave the EU and this will impact our whole society negatively for generations. Particularly in environment and health.

tall tales and colacao17 like this.
  4. davinder123

davinder123 New commenter

So you have a crystal ball with such definite foresight ? or just in a state of shellshock at the moment, and having a mini tantrum, covuscorax!?!?!?!?!

LadyForlorn and Luvsskiing like this.
  5. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger Occasional commenter

The increased large stakes Ofsted inspections will increase by an extra day.

As we know, that's utterly pointless. It seems that HODs are now in for increased scrutiny. But will they be in for more pay.

6. jonnymarr

jonnymarr New commenter

Experience of the past forty years would suggest:
    Teachers are more left leaning as a profession / Tory-voters are in the minority. Conservative governments have not felt the need to court their votes / no need to ensure their wages keep pace with inflation. Instead they have been keen to take on the unions, working conditions, pay and pension rights & as has been said above, increase scrutiny and inspections. They like to show that they are 'tough' on (poor) teaching. Recruitment suffers. Staff shortages ( especially in subjects like Maths, Physics & MFL ) increase. Class sizes increase. Buildings fall apart. Support services are run down. Stress increases. Morale falls.
    In terms of investment policy they like to be 'seen' to be doing something when in fact they have often run down real-terms funding / instead they have pandered to their core vote ( academisation, increased number of grammar schools ) regardless of any evidence that suggests this raises overall standards. When Johnson talks about 'levelling up funding', it is suspected that he means more money for Tory shires, but the changes to the political map may mean he has to re-think that. It will be interesting to see if he makes any attempt whatsoever to keep the good folk of Redcar, Darlington, Blyth and Burnley happy.
    Past performance is not necessarily an indicator of what will happen in the future, but I'd be very surprised indeed if the Tory leopard changes its spots this time round, especially if Brexit leads to the negative impact most are predicting for the nation's finances. Sorry I can't be more optimistic... :( ... I suppose it's nearly Christmas... there are always reasons to be cheerful.... perhaps.

tall tales likes this.
  7. jonnymarr

jonnymarr New commenter

30k starting salary by 2022-23 is obviously eye-catching, but a reform of salary progression points ( i.e. more PRP ) sounds some sort of alarm. It may be that all teachers eventually start on 30k, but how many will progress up the scale if budgets are not increased to fund rises for experienced staff? I remember Dominic Cummings ( he seems to be running the entire show these days ) when he was a SPAD/researcher for Gove arguing that there should be a lot of lower-level teachers and only a handful of 'master' teachers on higher salaries.

8. mjfp509

mjfp509 New commenter

I read last week that they are going to put an extra day on ofsted inspections, so that should go down well:mad:

9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I think Corbyn's offer to us Waspi women was purely a vote catcher. Like all his other 'promises'.

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  10. Prim

Prim Occasional commenter

'Hope for the best plan for the worst'

11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

But I'm not sure that Corbyn would've carried it through, either!

LadyForlorn and Sundaytrekker like this.