1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So...birthdays close to Christmas...ideas please?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hazeymazey, Nov 18, 2011.

1. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

Just looking for inspiration really as I'm sure lots of folk have birthdays close to Christmas. Our little girl is one on Christmas day and we want to make some family traditions really. I know it won't make a difference to her this year and that she won't even know it's Christmas let alone her birthday but we do want to acknowledge her first birthday on the day. Our little boy is two and a half so will doubtless be appalled that she has more presents than him etc. How to have a smooth day ???
    *realises that a smooth day with a toddler and a baby under Christmas circumstances is unlikely*
    hazey x

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Xmas presents in stockings only perhaps?
    Birthday presents given at a certain time of day?

3. Could you do Christmas Day on Boxing Day?

4. My birthday is 28th December, and my parents have always made sure that my birthday is seperate from Christmas. It's the only in Christmas week that turkey is not eaten (my mother <strike>being</strike> annually catering for the 5000, rather than just the 3 of us), my birthday cards replace Christmas cards and I don't have my presents from under the tree! My parents have only ever bought me a joint Christmas / birthday when I have asked for it because it's something "big". I think they also told relatives that they wouldn't buy me a joint present if my birthday wasn't around Christmas, and they don't buy joint presents for my cousins, so why for me.
    As for a birthday on Christmas day, maybe make part of the day "hazeygirl time"? Or celebrate Christmas - or rather, open presents- on the evening of the 24th, (like the Germans) and then the 25th is completely separate?

5. suefla

suefla New commenter

My friends sons birthday is on Christmas Day. Christmas day is until 2pm and then it's James' birthday.

6. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I'm a Christmas Day baby, (well I was many years ago!) and I celebrate my birthday in June. My parents made that decision when I was about 2, after finding it impossible to give me the same kind of birthday as my brothers had. I have always liked having a real birthday and an official birthday.
    A friend of mine has a 12 yr old whose birthday is also on Christmas Day and they have always split the day in half. Christmas is from waking up until after lunch, then it's her birthday until bedtime. They decorate one room with birthday stuff and make sure her cards are up etc. The only trouble is she can never have a party on or particularly near her birthday because people just can't come.

7. Christmas cards on a holder and birthday cards out.

http://www.freecraftunlimited.com/christmas-card-holder.html

Insist she gets birthday cards / presents not "I got you one bigger present" - you might like your little one to have a second birthday in the summer so she can have a party with friends.
    Birthday cake instead of christmas pud.

Seperate present time - maybe santa sack in the morning and birthday presents with the cake later in the day. Or maybe the other way round when they are a bit older - you can't have a 2 1/2 year old waiting until the afternoon for presents IMHO.
    Some pizza / kebab places deliver on Christmas day - something to think about for when she is older.

8. Oh I forgot to add - the summer birthday thing (seems quite common) is useful for things like bikesor trampolines - things kids can't really use in the middle of winter.
    My brother and I both have winter birthdays, one year we both got bikes for our birthdays - but we got them the week before the start of the summer holidays so we cold get to use them.

9. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

You lot are great and I knew you'd have some ideas. I think we're doing a summer party for her anyway and have asked Grandparents to buy for her birthday in the summer. I guess as the years pass we might just delay her party for a week or two until term starts so that she can have a party clear of NY. We're def on for having birthday tea with trifle etc and a birthday cake with candles and there will be singing in her bedroom on Christmas morning. Probably heading straight downstairs for Christmas pressies as small boy won't be able to wait!

10. purple91

purple91 New commenter

My birthday's on the 23rd, and i've never really had a problem with distinguishing it from xmas. It's only become a problem now I'm at uni and all of my friends separate on the 9th this year!
    I second the advice the others have given, especially with two separate presents and not one big one. My parents used to insist on that for me, as very rarely is the 'big present' fair. I get so annoyed when people wrap my bday present in xmas paper, and once I even had a 'P.S Happy Birthday' at the bottom of a xmas card, so make sure you keep the two events separate!

11. If it was my child I would start right now with saying her brithday is the 20th, and having her party just before the end of term. Family will know, and so will she, but I would just ride it out until everyone got used to it. I wouldn't ever say "Well, her actual birthday is ... etc etc" and I reckon it would be OK like that until she's in her teens and decide how she wants to play it.

12. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

I like the Xmas Eve Christmas idea - then you can use the cold turkey for birthday sandwiches and have birthday cake instead of Xmascake on xmas birth day. I have a July birthday in the holidays so if going for the official birthday make it June as no one was ever around for my birthday for parties when I was young.

13. I have a birthday a week before Christmas. I have had the Christmas card with the ps happy birthday, also the present which was for birthday and Christmas. It doesn't make you feel special. People forget in the run up to the festivities. My daughter has an early August birthday and everyone was always on holiday when it was her birthday, so difficult for a party. Now she is grown up and lives in Spain everyone is on holiday for her birthday she is making up for it! Much more difficult for her younger brother with a leap year birthday, so next year he is having a 6th birthday when in fact he will be 24. Hope you decide on a good solution. I would go with the morning Christmas and afternoon birthday.