1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So are these the latest OFSTED fads...sorry, foci/focuses?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by chelsea2, Nov 12, 2015.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Just read the OFSTED report for a local primary school, which includes gems such as the following:

'Pupils’ behaviour requires improvement. Pupils are not always well organised with the correct equipment to hand to enable them to learn. Desks can be cluttered and not all pupils have the equipment they need in front of them to work efficiently.

The school’s curriculum does not.... teach pupils about mental and emotional health in sufficient depth.Pupils have a partial understanding of how to stay healthy, because knowledge of their own emotional health is limited. The curriculum has not fully developed pupils’ awareness of their own mental health and well-being. Consequently, pupils could not explain how they are able to manage their feelings.

The school has not checked if extra-curricular activities have supported pupils’ progress in a wide range of subjects.'

I know OFSTED will never be popular, but those early OFSTED inspections in the 90s were quite supportive & informative. Inspectors spent a week in schools, saw lots of full-length lessons, interviewed ALL subject leaders, and at the end produced a lengthy, broad-based report which did generally did give a picture of what the school was about, its strengths & its weaknesses.

Yet even in those days I'm not sure the above judgements would have found their way into a report, let alone into today's abbreviated, data-driven snapshots......unless these are OFSTED's new thrusts?

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Why should it? It's EXTRA curricular!

petenewton, snowyhead and lanokia like this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

That was my thought, too!

4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

They obv. don't know the meaning of extra in this context. Ignorami!

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Until OfSTED is abolished, schools will continue to be unfairly treated and teachers persecuted...

petenewton and snowyhead like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Eureka said what I was going to...

Just scrap Ofsted! £1 billion saved in the life of a Parliament.

And the knock on savings in SLT salaries and 'initiatives' would be in the millions.

snowyhead and darklord11 like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I know have an image of Ofsted thrusting...

Oh god, Wilshaw thrusting... hahaha man's a joke either way.

8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

They didn't fieldtrip to Broadmoor?

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Primary school, so potentially some of these pupils were just at the start of school. I don' think that young children could, would or should be able to explain how they manage heir feelings. Eleven year olds, possibly, but the comment was not specific.

There is nothing in those comments that is lucid, sensible, helpful, supportive or useful. ****$!

darklord11 likes this.
  10. darklord11

darklord11 Occasional commenter

Off bullocks not fit for purpose. When you sack third of your staff and have no consistency in applying your own criteria there is a major problem.
    Plus led by one of the biggest A holes in education who wouldn't last a week in a core subject.
    Total waste of money having these so called experts who would run a mile rather the teach full time.
    Pay them all on M1 to M4, see how many would still stay than be in a classroom.

petenewton likes this.
  11. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Whilst I fully support the idea of making children aware of the need to maintain good physical and mental health: mental health education is a very new territory in primary education and very few primary teachers have received sufficient training to explore the issues of mental well-being. The Education Endowment Fund have just put some funding in place to bring resilience training to a few hand-picked primary schools, but it's not likely to be rolled out across the country any time soon.

Each time Wilshaw opens his mouth or one of his minions makes some sweeping statement in an inspection report I want to shout out 'If you think you're hard enough show us how it's done'.

12. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

The upshot of that kind of comment by an inspector is that schools will just decide to ditch extra-curricular clubs and events. The majority of which are run by volunteers - teachers, TAs and parents.

petenewton likes this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I wonder if all adults could do that?

14. drek

drek Star commenter

that report reads like one written about a school in the Victorian Era. What on earth is going on?

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I wonder if all teachers could do that and how they do it? Go home and sleep, go home and drink,go home and stuff yourself full of chocolate,go home and cry (me, last Thursday).

chelsea2 likes this.
  16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

(((catmother)))

17. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

It was because of awareness of my own mental health and wellbeing that I decided to leave teaching.

18. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

OFSTED Inspectors commenting on self awareness of mental health and well being is rather rich.

How many pupils and teachers have suffered from stress and health problems through this absurd system? It's had enough time to show it doesn't work. Why do we not have the best education system in the world? We should have because of all the pain that been inflicted on us all.

"That does not kill you makes you stronger."

I suggest this quote above, reputedly by Genghis Khan, as a new slogan for OFSTED.

What's the difference between a Wookie and an OFSTED Inspector?
    Wookies make more sense.

19. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

((Catmother)) I was going to 'like' the post, but it just didn't seem right.