1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So, apart from sitting on your backside posting on here, what have you achieved this holiday?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smoothnewt, Apr 12, 2012.

1. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I'll start:
    • Got the chore of the Year 11 controlled assessment marking done early on so as not to be too depressed at the end of the holiday (that was perhaps my greatest achievement).
    • Initiated a running-round-the-park with daughter which lasted the first two (sunny) days but has ground to a halt due to her inability to be out of bed before midday, (and after that she is worried that someone she knows might spot her in running mode).
    • Bought a new water butt (to ensure I am prepared for the hosepipe ban), taken possession of a brand spankingly new and huge green waste wheelie bin as part of the council's new initiative.
    • Bought a brand spankingly new and huge wheelie bin for general non-recyclable waste to accompany the council's offering.
    • Cleared the garage of much junk, and inspite of husband's five bikes being in situ, have cleared an access path so as to be able to put things in the wheelie bins.
    • Visited the Hockney exhibition - great!
    • Seen my home town as a tourist on a "London Blitz Walk" - very interesting and I'm tempted to go on a different one this afternoon.
    • Eaten too much chocolate
    I am feeling fairly satsified by all the above, but then I am middle-aged, and am easily pleased.
    [​IMG]

• Car in for MOT,

• Half the garden dug up

• Bought garden furniture

• Bought a lawn mower, but not managed to cut the grass as it has been too wet since then

• Been to the local cinema after promising to do it for almost a year - it is a lovely old cinema,

• Decided that I don't like tea

• Bought step-daughter new school schools from good old clarks

• Baked two lemon cakes

• Read my new school's staff hand book

• Been into school to clear out the last of my stuff

I am just a bit disappointed that the promise of a new job hasn't made me do more work... but there is still time left.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

1. Hosted a yummy dinner party on the first Saturday of the hols.
    2. Done GCSE tutoring.
    3. Got legs waxed (and other bits), manicure and pedicure.
    4. Got hair cut.
    5. Had lovely 10 days in Barbados.
    6. Had my bro and nephew to stay for 3 days.
    7. My lovely daughter and her BF staying and my two step kids.
    8. Done pub quiz.
    9. Done A level tutoring.
    10. Unpacked suitcases (to do so within the first week back is something of a record for me [​IMG])
    ....................still to do..............................
    10. Preparing for another tuition session.
    11. 5 sets of A level ISAs and GCSE controlled assessment to mark.
    12. Then packing for a weeks in Wales on A level field trip.
    Phew.......................an action packed month!

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Well I'm off for a guided walk around Westminster this afternoon, I've decided. I'm getting into this tourist lark.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Now that does sound fun! [​IMG]

5. 1) Decided that OH's car was not going to pass MOT (seriously bad) so made the decision to scrap it (only cost us £700 pounds this time last year and he's not mechanically minded - but itneeded new brakes, new exhaust and at a guess, new timing belt... plus 2 x MOTs - was going to cost more then we originally paid... so got it collected and got paid £120
    2) Listed a few pieces of furniture on ebay - moving to Dubai in September for a job in an international school so downsizing in a big way... after a couple of hours had an email offer for the sofa bed which was good, sold the footstool as a buy it now, and when they came to pick it up, decided to do a b-i-n for the other thing I had listed plus made an offer on something that wasn't even on sale... £185 + £200 for the day - so happy bout that...
    3) Day trip to Wales to pick up OH's passport - we need it to give notice for our upcoming (before we go to Dubai as we can't live together without being married in Dubai) wedding... so called in on a friend for lunch whilst he went and did the running around - score...
    4) Ran a catch up session for some of my Yr11s - had to send two home as they STILL weren't doing anything and was using the session as a social catch up... but I managed to get some work sorted out... again happy with that...
    5) Finished my MA essay two weeks early, got feedback and made the changes so not even going to think about it - just going to hand it in... moving on...
    I'm not doing anything else til school starts again...

6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

• done planning
    • done about half of fsp stuff
    • haircut
    • been to london for a few days
    • got some washing done
    • updated my site on lady gaga/darkness tour
    • bought tickets for said tour

7. Very little, actually. Did some painting yesterday and today, but that's about it. Watched a lot of Walking Dead (thanks Manashee) *Would've* spent more time gardening if the weather had been half-way decent. Oh, and I have a party tomorrow. Nothing to wear.

8. Also - have drank far too much wine.

9. primarycat

primarycat Established commenter

Some planning, moved house, had MiL to stay for a week in new house. Also managed to drink a fair amount of wine.

10. "So, apart from sitting on your backside posting on here, what have you achieved this holiday?"
    No..... that's actually all I've done for weeks. Going back to my flat for a couple of days to see how I get on. I can get up and downstairs on my bottom (so graceful) and am managing to get around with the crutches.The main problem is the shower - you have to stand in the bath, and I can't climb in. I 've been trying to have a strip-wash every day but balancing on one crutch while doing everything else with the other hand takes ages and it's freezing!

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Read quite a bit (novels, rather than school stuff.)
    Had the grandchildren to stay for the weekend and then needed some recovery time.
    Family over for Sunday lunch.
    Day's work in school, as well as school work at home.
    Day out shopping/lunch with a friend.
    Chatted to neighbours
    Couple of lunches out with Mr F
    Endlessly emailed the financial adviser
    Upgraded the mobile and spent ages trying to persuade Vodafone to accept it.
    Took the car for it's first MOT.
    Decided what else to put on Ebay.
    Lots of cross stitch

12. wellingtonboot

wellingtonboot New commenter

Spring cleaned house
    Had eye test and hair cut
    Serviced car
    Painted garage door
    Planted some seeds, tidied garden a bit
    Loads of washing and ironing
    Some sewing
    Took grandmother shoe shopping
    Day out with friend
    Made some resources for school
    Written To Do list for school...

13. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

It's YEARS since I got my cross stitch stuff out - I used to love it too. sigh

• Done three days of Easter School in preparing kids for their GCSEs
    • Loads of lovely dog walks
    • Met up with lots of different friends
    • Cleaned the house (almost) properly as some of said friends are staying
    • Took the dog to the vet to try (again) to clear up a recurring problem
    • Been to the cinema to see The Hunger Games
    • Helped my sister with shopping for an outfit to wear to a wedding - I helped her spend rather a lot!
    • Caught up with sleep.
    • Drank too much wine
    • Baked cakes.
    • Read books.
    Goodness how do I have time to fit school into my life? [​IMG]

14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

1. Sat on my backside
    2. Went to the Algarve. Had a lovely time there for a week: lots of eating, drinking, walking and sunbathing (sorry!)
    3. Got back two hours ago.
    4. Will sit on my backside until Monday.

• Spent five days in thatched cottage in Dorset with friends.
    • Visited most of the NT properties in Dorset...well, we did three. [​IMG] (Really fascinating some of them, especially TE Lawrence's woodland 'hovel' at Cloud's Hill, near Bovington Camp.) Climbed to the top of Corfe Castle in the glorious sunshine, enjoyed sea-breezes, lovely ice cream and great company.
    • Walked for miles.
    • Drank too much wine.
    • Did the front garden, including edging the lawn (which son had mown) clipping all the shrubs back and getting rid of moss on the drive.
    • Cleaned out two kitchen cupboards.
    • Caught up with Eastenders
    • Drank champers at dusk (well Cava) by garden fire (burning branches etc) with son and girlfriend after he was successful in landing a great new job.
    • Took Far From the Madding Crowd from the bookcase, because of Hardy connections and Dorset, but yet to open it.
    • Am determined to get cracking on the back garden which needs a serious tidy up.That's my project for the next week or so.

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Kittylion, cross stitch is my not so guilty pleasure. Several are framed and resplendent on the walls of the house. Some are unfinished (sigh) and there are quantities yet to be started in the siedboard, which should have sideboardy things in it. No wonder we have no storage space - it's all taken up with my cross stitch. Don't tell Mr F - he's banned me from buying more and I'll have to hide any future purchases in the ottoman bed space. That should be for sheets etc! Help, it's taking over the house!

16. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Marked all 96 GCSE Media Studies portfolios.

Read two crime novels, now onto third.

Tutored two sessions of a-level and one session of GCSE.

Spring cleaned kitchen.

Been to gym - albeit only once. Been horse riding twice.

Re-lived my mis-spent youth mooching around Norwich, Halesworth and Southwold.

Continued knitting stuffed toys for various family members.

Eaten too much chocolate.

But mainly, and most importantly, I've relaxed with Miss W, as it's our last chance for a week alone together before she goes to Australia for a year.

17. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Lol that sounds familiar Foxtail. I have lots of half-finished stuff too and had to get rid of a load of magazines earlier this year but I just feel if I get some out to do, that's it, it takes over my life - perhaps when I retire ...