1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So, am I the only one......

Discussion in 'Personal' started by polly.glot, Dec 26, 2011.

1. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

...on this site who didn't get a SINGLE pressie this Christmas?? (sob....)

2. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

3. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

I have no idea.

4. Did you expect any? Did you buy any for other people? A pity that you did not receive any in return of that was the case.

5. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

I always buy presents for the family,husband 3 kids, 4 grandchildren, elderly mother. nieces and nephews. Also anonymous ones for charities.

6. Was it not obvious when others were opening stuff and you weren't? Have none of your children seen the boots advert?

7. Lastly: don't buy any presents next year!

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

my socks came in pairs

9. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Why didn't you get any presents?

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

The only present I got was the work Secret Santa.
    I'd already bought presents for my sister, brother in law and niece when my sister announced she wasn't buying for me as I was going away. She might have bought something for all I know but I haven't received it as I haven't seen her since the end of October.

11. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

I didn't even get the work secret santa present (though I bought one!)!
    We had to spend Christmas with mother at her resthome and then take her out for a little drive. She is always too mean to buy presents.

12. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

One of my sons phoned, which was nice.

13. (((Poly)))

I am sorry to hear that. I think you should hit the sales and treat yourself to something nice - use the money you would spend on birthday presents for those who didn't get you a pressie at Christmas.

14. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I didn't get any presents, but then again I wasn't planning on getting any. My wife and I have phased out giving each other presents over the years and we're now living in a country where xmas is not widely celebrated. We did get presents for our son and put up a really tacky fake tree.
    If I had bought presents for everyone in the family and did not receive any, it would not be pretty. Why on earth would it turn out that way for you?

15. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

Oh :-( That is awful. I wouldn't bother with anyone else next year, and I would tell them all how hurt (if you are, and I would be) you are. I can't understand what your family were thinking.....Merry Christmas from me, and if you are in Cumbria I'll meet up with you and bring you a present to open.

16. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I think it's dreadful that your husband and children didn't even buy you ONE present between them - how could they do that? What's going through their heads My son is really broke but he bought me the Tales of Beedle the Bard. I heard of someone who was broke so had an agreement with her sister to each spend only £10 but at charity shops - they bought loads of little presents for each other. Sorry I can't understand it Polly.

17. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I didn't get any either!

18. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

think that is awful of your family Poly. Was there any explanation? Do they usually buy you presents? How hurtful. Next year I think I would tell the lot of them to get stuffed and go on holiday.

19. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

polly_glot "We had to spend Christmas with mother at her resthome and then take her
    out for a little drive. She is always too mean to buy presents
    ."But surely if she lives in a resthome, does she have any personal income to afford to buy you anything? I was under the assumption that the home took all the money and allowed them a small amount of pocket money for personal affects?
    However I don't understand why your husband and sons didn't buy you anything. As someone said even something from a charity shop (though they're not as cheap as they were) would have shown some thought. Even my cash-strapped younger son bought me a cheap secondhand DVD from an ex-rental shop and my husband wrapped up a couple of unused gifts which I'd had previously from other people. (This isn't as mean as it sounds as we often do this for each other when money's tight!)

20. Can't quote sections as on phone but Lara- what on earth is the point of rewrapping previously opened and unused gifts?! Would rather receive nothing!