1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SNP record on Education

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by gnulinux, Nov 1, 2015.

1. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

What do you think of it?

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I think it's as good./bad as any other government's would have been.
    Labour (or is it Scottish Labour now, or was it New Labour?) introduced CfE, the SNP made the decision to continue with it".
    Therefore I don't think it's a particularly party political issue.
    However, the SNP rightly needs a good kicking for the kazillions underspend.

" Nice wee microcosm of politics I think. SNP almost certainly took "expert" advice and continued to go with this progressive new curriculum. Had they stopped it, they would have been pilloried for obstructing progress. Any other party in government would have done exactly the same thing, same as any party in opposition would have slagged off the government for halting it. Main point for me is that governments, in general, don't have a clue about policy implementation.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

What he said!

I think that CfE in the junior phase in secondary schools should be looked again at but I'm not sure that's a political issue.

4. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

I think the SNP are making lots of mistakes and should be doing better. they are still on a very long honeymoon period. There is no proper opposition and the SNP members are being told not to rock the boat. I think they have 18 months of this still to go. After that I think members/public will become disillusioned with the fact that they are just the same old politicians. The old guard SNP will start to fight back with their traditional "tartan tory" right win ideas and there will be in fighting. Nice time for "fishboy" Salmond to come back and fix it. In this time Scottish Labour might have sorted themselves out a bit (they could not get worse could they?)

On Education CfE is a mess. We are still teaching to exams, but with less time. BGE is a very mixed bag. We are not really teaching the problem solving skills that industry has asked for.
    SNP has cut 116,000+ further education places? just how have they managed to keep this quiet?
    Moral in education is so low, I sat at a table of 12 teachers on Friday (no drink involved) all but 2 said they would leave if they could. Not great.

5. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

I won't defend the SNP for continuing with CFE - it should have been binned or the BGE in particular which is the biggest pile of b o l l o x known to man

But as for the underspend - this is a non story.

Every Scottish government / administration has underspent by hundreds of millions since devolution in 1999. One of the Labour/Lib Dem administrations underspent by £1.5bn over four years so this is not new.

You can't borrow so have to stay within parameters, and if a contract runs late or is delayed (such as new infrastructure) or comes under budget then it's easy to rack up what looks like a sizeable underspend when all departments are added together. In any case the money rolls on to the following year so it is not "lost".

6. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

Since the SNP came to power in 2008 every Local Authority up and down the land has had to cut their education budget primarily to pay for the Council Tax freeze. Less teachers, lower departmental budgets, less classroom assistants and lower pay in real terms. Added to this is the policy of free university fees, largely paid for by cutting over 140,000 places on FE courses.

This is not bad if you are better off as you are more likely to financially benefit by paying less CT and getting free university fees as your children are more likely to go to university. However if you are less well off you are more likely to rely on council services and subsequently more likely to be affected by a reduced / cut service. Likewise if you are poorer it is more likely that you'll go to an FE college rather than university but with less courses running the SNP government is making it more difficult for the weakest in society to get on while making it easier for the (statistically) wealthier.

I accept that resources are finite and some will argue the Scottish Government's hands are tied etc. etc. but the reality is, there is a budget and wherever it comes from, when push comes to shove, the SNP in government have chosen to pursue policies that have benefited the better off at the expense of the less well off.