1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

snowman carpet session

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by pepperpig, Dec 5, 2010.

1. am being observed on a book of the week carpet session which will be the snowman. I was planning on using a simpler version of the story where chn add magnetic bits to the page eg. snowman, james, etc. I was going to read it with chn encouraging chn to join in focussing on key words and chn to add the bits to the pages on the last page which is big frieze focusing on key words we have been using in the story. To finish off the carpet session then act out a snow walk pretending to explore snow eg its freezing, tip toe in snow, stamp, pretend to make snow angels, roll together to make a snow ball, throw snowball, roll big balls for snowman. I have to have longer carpet session in afternoon due to staffing issues due to lunch. its going to be half an hr was going to do 15 mins working on story then 10 mins on the snow walk using the walking in the air music. To make sure the kids move around I was going to do the game so they are not just sitting still and its similar to a game we normally play on carpet where we mime going in a rocket.
    Does that sound okay? Can anyone suggest any ideas to improve this? Thanks

2. am being observed on a book of the week carpet session which will be the snowman. I was planning on using a simpler version of the story where chn add magnetic bits to the page eg. snowman, james, etc. I was going to read it with chn encouraging chn to join in focussing on key words and chn to add the bits to the pages on the last page which is big frieze focusing on key words we have been using in the story. To finish off the carpet session then act out a snow walk pretending to explore snow eg its freezing, tip toe in snow, stamp, pretend to make snow angels, roll together to make a snow ball, throw snowball, roll big balls for snowman. I have to have longer carpet session in afternoon due to staffing issues due to lunch. its going to be half an hr was going to do 15 mins working on story then 10 mins on the snow walk using the walking in the air music. To make sure the kids move around I was going to do the game so they are not just sitting still and its similar to a game we normally play on carpet where we mime going in a rocket.
    Does that sound okay? Can anyone suggest any ideas to improve this? Thanks

3. 15 minutes talking about a story that doesn't have any words is quite a long time. Could you maybe use stills from the film and ask the children to tell the story to go alongside the pictures (you could follow this up later in the week by watching the film - 15 mins for you to put your feet up too!) Lots fo S+L opportunities and you could introduce the magnetic pictures for children to use as part of CP. How about linking in some PSRN and having a big snowman on the IWB or on the carpet which they could count out the correct number of buttons onto? Love your snowy walk idea, have you had much snow this last week? could you relate it to photos of the children actually doing some of those things too?
    maybe have a snowman song up your sleeve just incase too - you could use instruments too and cover pretty much all the areas of learning in one lesson!

HTH

4. Thanks for your reply some great ideas. I thought same about the book so I have decided I am going to use the book with the words as in the afternoon I have mixed ability group then get one of children to pretend to be the snowman and other children to help dress him as we read the story e.g white sheet as snowsuit, put on the scarf, hat etc. Another child could be James as we read the story and they can act out story using props with help of other chn choosing what they will do e.g. dance or drink, sit on the chairs or stand by the fire etc. I have lot of EAL children so we will be focusing on also using basic vocabulary. I also have ppt of the story pictures we are working on the story from monday so they will know the story quite well by wed hopefully! I like the idea of snowman and counting out the buttons thats good idea as we do psrn in aft sessions so that way I can incorporate it. I had been thinking of using instruments shakers and bells to make snowman song so I will put that in too! Thank you fingers crossed it goes well!

5. that sounds fab - I always think those longer sessions are great if you have lots going on
    If they are already familiar with the story that will be really helpful too
    found these if they are any help
    <u><font face="Calibri">I'm a Little Snowflake </font></u><font face="Calibri">(to the tune of &lsquo;I&rsquo;m a Little Teapot&rsquo;)</font><font face="Calibri">I'm a little snowflake, small and white.
    When the moon is shining
    I'm sparkly and bright.
    When you see me falling,
    Come out and play.
    You can make a snowman with me today. </font><u><font face="Calibri">Fluffy Snowflakes </font></u><font face="Calibri">(to the tune &lsquo;London Bridge is Falling Down&rsquo;)</font>Fluffy snowflakes falling down,
    falling down, falling down,
    fluffy snowflakes falling down,
    tickly, tingly snowflakes.<u></u><u><font face="Calibri">I'm a Little Snowman </font></u><font face="Calibri">(to the tune of &lsquo;I&rsquo;m a Little Teapot&rsquo;)</font> I'm a little Snowman, round and fat,
    I've got a woolly scarf
    and a little bobble hat.
    When the snow is falling, <font face="Times New Roman">Come out and play.
    You can make a snowman with me today. </font>

6. grr at spacing - sorry
    hope all goes well on wed x

7. love the songs thanks I will use them with the instruments. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. Have a lovely week. We will be back at school tomorrow with no snow though but I have pictures from friday when we made snowmen outside very small snowman mind but that should jog their memories! Il let you know how it goes

8. Another song for you...
    I'm a little snowman, short and fat
    Here's my broomstick, here's my hat
    When the snow is falling, hear me shout
    Come on children, let's play out!

To the same tune, obviously!

9. How was it Pepper? x

10. So sorry Chalkie_bunny never saw you had written to me. The carpet session went okay i messed it up bit as was so nervous but kids enjoyed the activity especially the acting part. I am planning to do more activities like that as it works well. The kids behaved so well and all took turns with the instruments was very proud. Thanks for asking. Hope you are ready for xmas.

11. Well done you and well done to the children too. That was a long time to keep your nerves.
    hmm, am as ready for christmas as I can ever be I think, have a good one!
    x