1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Snowed in with 5 month old, how to stay sane?!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by spring chicken, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas for me, I have been stuck at home for weeks because of extremely heavy snow. I have no car (OH uses it for work and now it has broken down and is also stuck in the snow), cannot go for a walk because of extremely cold temperatures (like -20) and cannot have anyone to visit as where I live is not really accessible in this weather!

I have a 5 month old baby and am so fed up I am finding it hard to keep her entertained. She goes from her play mat to baby walker to doorway bouncer to inflatable nest with naps in between. I sing to her, try to play with her, but I am struggling to keep going, it is so frustrating. I know these are exceptional circumstances and only temporary (well possibly until the end of the month) but I thought I would see if anyone has had a similar experience or can help me to make it more bearable for myself and my little girl?!

2. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas for me, I have been stuck at home for weeks because of extremely heavy snow. I have no car (OH uses it for work and now it has broken down and is also stuck in the snow), cannot go for a walk because of extremely cold temperatures (like -20) and cannot have anyone to visit as where I live is not really accessible in this weather!

I have a 5 month old baby and am so fed up I am finding it hard to keep her entertained. She goes from her play mat to baby walker to doorway bouncer to inflatable nest with naps in between. I sing to her, try to play with her, but I am struggling to keep going, it is so frustrating. I know these are exceptional circumstances and only temporary (well possibly until the end of the month) but I thought I would see if anyone has had a similar experience or can help me to make it more bearable for myself and my little girl?!

3. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

oh, i really feel for you. if i don't go out every day i go mad and i think my LO would too. i think your LO will be quite happy with the nice things you're doing with her, but i suspect this is about you and your sanity.
    i adore my little boy too, but we all need a little break from being mummy all the time and it doesn't sound like you're getting that and that's not great for either of you. i know you said it's freezing where you are but have you got a really good snowsuit for LO or could you order one? i imagine it would be impossible to push a buggy but do you have a sling? again, is it something you could order? when it is really cold here i wrap up myself and LO and put him in the sling and go out for a little walk. i am fortunate to live by some cafes and when LO was small, sitting and having a coffee and cake could brighten up my whole day if i was struggling (now he's one i dream of such luxuries!!).
    it's really hard to suggest much because i don't know entirely your circumstances but i think it's essential that you try and get out. also do you have a health visitor or similar who would be able to get to you? just chatting to them could be useful. i wish you lots of luck and hope you don't get too down. kj

4. Thanks kj, it is really nice to get a bit of moral support! I would really like to go out a bit and I do have a snowsuit for LO but as it is at the moment I wouldn't really be happy trying to carry her in a sling while walking in the snow as it is so deep that it's impossible to know where you are stepping and it would be easy to fall...it comes well above the top of my snow boots. I actually had my father in law make me a sledge so I could take LO for a walk, pulling her along on it! But at the moment it just sinks into the snow. It is still falling pretty heavily today so I guess when it stops falling and clears a bit I may be able to at least go out around the house. There aren't any cafes or anything nearby though. I don't have a health visitor either, I live in Serbia and there isn't really such a thing here. I know LO probably isn't that affected, I'm sure she is fed up of so much one to one mummy time but you're right, it is more me that is struggling!

It all seems like quite a crazy situation to be in, I just keep thinking things could be much worse, that's about all that stops me from getting too down!

5. put the tv on for a bit?! I don't have the tv on much but when i do my baby does love it!
    Give baby a bath during the day just for fun with cups/bubbles/ducks for half an hour?
    Bit of messy play with a yoghurt on a plastic sheet on the floor?
    Make a treasure basket. if baby isn't sitting up then prop her up or sit behind her and let her investigate objects like a whisk,wooden spoon, salad server. metal spoon, honey drizzler, egg cup etc. This keeps my little one happy for half an hour.
    Spread duvet out on the floor and get some scarves, blankets to roll about on over/under (obvs being careful she doesn't tangle herself up in them).
    Play making silly faces in front of a mirror.
    Hope you are out and about again soon.

6. bake yourself a cake and sit with your feet up reading / watching tv during one of her naps!

7. Do not whatever you do feel like you should do anything during naps. So be it if the washing piles up. Put comedy on, lie on the floor and laugh, they love it!

8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

An ex colleague of mine now lives in highlands and got stuck in with 3 of different ages, none old enough to be alone on the computer...sounds fun!

Seriously though, anyone local with a baby or even preschooler? Or is there anyone with a x4 who can visit?

9. Thanks all, I will give those things a try. Finally we have a sunny day today so I was able to have a bit of a walk around in the snow :)

10. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

good! i bet you feel so much better for the fresh air and sunshine. and i second the idea that some others had about sticking on the TV and lying on the floor with LO. you deserve some 'you-time'!

11. Nightmare snow fall - you probably don't want to hear this but your post made me wistful. I used to work in the Balkans and I miss it so much. I know the winters can be really hard but it's such an amazing place with such great people (not to mention food!). Hope your cabin fever has abated.