1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Snowdrops!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by airy, Jan 1, 2012.

1. My snowdrops have poked their heads up and one or two are flowering. It really has been a mild winter so far!

2. Funny you should mention that, Airy but I noticed this morning that our Daffs are showing their heads. Also we are still getting raspberries.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Yesterday I saw hollyhocks!

4. My snowdrops and daffs are up and in bud. I noticed this morning that my rhodedendrons (sp) are in bud and beginning to open, my lilac tree has some flowers on it and my cherry tree has formed buds and there are a few new leaves on it. Most strange!

5. Rasps? Lucky you!

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Snowdrops in the nw too.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've just been out in the garden and noticed a hollyhock flower bud just on the verge of bursting open with a few more a little way behind.

8. Bah! I feel you've all trumped my paltry snowdrops.

9. Tescos have got Easter eggs...

10. I planted a load of bluebell and daffodil bulbs a couple of months ago and no sign yet...

11. Mangleworzle

I love snowdrops, I am most jealous. Next door have great bunches of them under their apple trees (haven't had a nose at them recently, must do so). I have planted so many in our garden, if they flower, the next year they just make leaves and the next they are gone.

12. Have you got squirrels or a dog? Or lots of greedy birds?

13. Mangleworzle

All of the above - just like next door, over the fence, theirs thrive and ours just die.

14. There must be something different. Not all dogs dig up bulbs...are the birds and squirrels more likely to have access to yours?

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

=My neighbour has roses blooming and i stil have beddig geraniums flowering.....
    also on the A2 the cherry trees are flowering

16. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I have the craziest combination of things flowering in my garden! I don't think I have ever known it like this! As of today, flowering are:
    snowdrops
    camellias
    azaleas
    hellebores
    roses and clematis, still summer ones from last year that have just kept going
    primulas
    dahlias
    rudbeckia
    salvias (supposedly tender ones!)
    and castor oil plants (ricinus). January, *** and they are still flowering their socks off!!

17. Have you had no frost at all?

18. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

In patches, but some areas of my garden are very sheltered!

19. Mangleworzle

They're not dug up, they just don't seem to like it in our garden. They do come up as I said and sometimes even flower, but the they just produce leaves the second year if there is a second year and then nothing.
    I've had similar luck with lily of the valley, trying them everywhere to no avail until two years ago when I planted a pot we had had in the house at the bottom of the garden when they finished flowering. I made no effort to grow them on or give them compost or anything as I assumed they would just die, but then last year they came back stronger than ever, so fingers crossed they will be back again this year. I'm usually quite green-fingered, there's just some plants that don't like our garden much.
    I have two large containers out the front that have Osteospernums like cabbages in them. I assumed they'd have died off ages ago and have violas in pots waiting to take their place. I can imagine what's going to happen though, they'll hang on all winter and then die as soon as spring gets under way.

20. I still think something is digging up the bulbs. If you move them they often don't flower so if they are being consistently disturbed and sometimes eaten then it would produce the effect you describe.