1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Snow!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Just went to put the bins out to find it's been falling silently for a while now, pretty wet but about an inch deep and still coming down. Chances are it will be gone by morning, but if I had to go to school tomorrow I'd be well excited now.

2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

We had some too from home time onwards. But it was quite wet and sleety so doubt it will settle.

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Yawn! Twice on Friday. My grand girlies ran around outside with their mouths open .

Jesmond12 and colpee like this.
  4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I could see snow on the hills but nothing but a bit of sleet where I am.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Nothing here thank goodness. If we had to lose time from work it would come out of our annual leave.

6. Aquamarina1234

REALLY??
    Like the weather's your choice? Your fault?

nizebaby likes this.
  7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

We got given the time as a goodwill gesture last year as the disruption was so unexpected and they hadn't got the policy to cover it. We've been told that anything so severe again will be subject to AL or TOIL.

8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I think (but could be wrong) that if your employer remains open then they can expect you in to work. But they cannot force you to travel in dangerous conditions to get in. They cannot force you to take annual leave but can make it unpaid leave,

If they close then they have to pay you for the day.

Last year during the "Beast" I was sent home early before the weather was predicted to hit us and told to say home the following day with no loss of pay or holiday (non teaching job). But wouldn't expect that to happen if heavy snow became the norm during a Winter.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

10. Aquamarina1234

This may become The Thing. If terrible snow suddenly becomes an annual norm, then a rethink is in order. But atm it's occasional and if not unexpected, at least unusual and difficult to plan for.

11. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

50485475_10161378975280437_7763249014966845440_n.jpg 50485475_10161378975280437_7763249014966845440_n.jpg This is snow...........
    upstate NY, outside my nieces house. No school here today.

12. Mangleworzle

I like a nice snow gif

[​IMG]

13. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

I had to endure a playground duty this afternoon with year 1s constantly following me around going "I can't believe it's snowing!! Can you believe its snowing Miss Dee?"

Felt like saying: "Calm down, its just a bit of sleet."

14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

No snow in brum tonight so far but it's dead frosty.

15. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

A white dusting here this morning, more visible on the roads and pavements than lawns. Bitterly cold, though. Next door’s cat has spent the night on our sofa, poor thing.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

None in my part of East Anglia - but then there never is.

Snow just makes my life difficult - I could well do without it

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A heavy frost this morning but that's it thank goodness.

18. Mangleworzle

What was there last night is still there and now hard and crunchy, about an inch still and even frozen in place on the branches. I love snow! Looking forwards to taking the dog out soon.

19. Aquamarina1234

Blazing sunshine and bright blue skies here!

Mangleworzle likes this.
  20. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Gorgeous here. All the branches have sparkling crystals coating them and a blue sky above. The roads are ok though.

Mangleworzle likes this.