1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Snob

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dande, Jul 15, 2011.

1. dande

dande New commenter

I would like to confess that I am a bit of a snob when it comes to food. It has to be Heinz beans (assuming that any beans can be classed as snobby) and when buying vegetables I like ones that look pretty. So please call me a food snob.
    Feel free to confess what snobbish tendencies you have.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I detest snobbery.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Dande, you are a food snob.

4. bnm

bnm

sausages-port and cranberry
    chocolate-co-op fair trade
    beans-Heinz (and soup)
    bread-home made
    veg-home grown is best
    Not sure if it's snobby, but I do have favourites.

5. dande

dande New commenter

Thank you. My wife haas been telling me that for years.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

A recent taste test has shown Marks & Sparks beans at 50p a tin to taste far better than Heinz at 64p a tin.
    Food snobbery just fills the pockets of the food giants and marketing companies. No-one caresd what packet your food comes in, just what it tastes like.
    Also we in the UK seem to have foresaken taste over uniform size and shape. If you visit a food market in France, Italy...well anywhere but the UK.....you will see fruit and veg of all shapes and sizes, each one just bursting with flavour!

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Anytime. [​IMG]

8. dande

dande New commenter

Ah, but if you are selective you will find Heinz can be purchased in bulk at a much lower cost. You can sometimes pick up 6 cans for £2 a cost of 33p a can.

9. Actually, Which magazine said the best-tasting beans were Branston

10. dande

dande New commenter

However, Heinz has the reputation of being the best name and therefore they are my favourite!

11. I'm a pronunciation snob. I will never correct anyone, but I will judge.
    :p

12. dande

dande New commenter

You better never hear some of my attempts - especially when abroad - I have a habit of adding in extra vowels.

13. I'm a language snob. I detest any ugly misuse of our beautiful language.

14. I was under the impression that uniformity in vegetables was dictated by the EU! Wasn't there a fuss some years ago about the straightness of cucumbers, or something?

15. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

I'm a culture snob: I'm sorry, going to see (hear? watch?) a musical does not mean that you are a serious theatre goer.

16. dande

dande New commenter

Possibly, but other countries may be more inclined to ignore such directives.

17. Some of this is Daily Mail reporting - I read the rag, before I'm accused of being a snob - but my experience in France has shown me that they ignore the EU rules which we so assiduously obey. Just checked with OH, and we remember a butcher where dog meat (meat for dogs to eat, that is!) was displayed alongside other raw meat like chicken and pork and the butcher used the same knife for raw and cooked meat without wiping, let alone washing, it!

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yep...they just flick two fingers at EU bullmanure!

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

whichever bean you eat they all give you wind....and the only thing to taste is the sauce..the beans themselves are bog standard the same.
    I eat my food off the allotment.that comes in all shapes and sizes....depends what the other creatures have left

20. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I'm a breakfast cereal, toilet tissue and bin bag snob! You definitely get what you pay for with these items. I also think you should buy the best meat you can afford. Oh, and free range eggs of course.